Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shaving query

davestlouis

Practically Family
I've been snooping around on Badger and Blade, but before I join yet another forum, I want to pose a shaving question...

When you shave with a DE razor, do you do it by sight or feel? The reason I ask is this: my eyesight is AWFUL, and even with my glasses on I can't see diddly squat, especially with the progressive lenses I have now. The problem is one of depth perception. I can't quite tell where my hands are, because the magnification varies slightly in different parts of the lens. It's enough that I'm never quite sure where the pen is going to land on the page until it makes contact, but it does allow me to read newsprint and books successfully.

At any rate, I don't want to hurt myself or make a mess if I don't have to, but I'd like to try something other than disposable razors.

Any thoughts?

Mikey P

One of the Regulars
Personally, I can't shave with my eyes closed, but as far as getting the angle right (which took a few weeks) it's pretty much feel and sound. Hope that makes sense.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hi Dave,

I have pretty crappy eyesight as well. I shave by feel. I guide the razor with both hands. Once I've found the harvesting spot, I put the razor there, stretch the skin with one hand and pull the razor with the other and just continue that on and on. It works great for places you can't see too good, like under the jawbone and chin. I started DE razor-shaving as a New Year's Resolution, and I've been shaving this way for two and a half months now.

davestlouis

Practically Family
When I was a little kid I had an old safety razor (with no blade in it) that I played with in the tub...wish I had it now. I've been using hard soap in a dish with a badger brush that I bought at Walmart, like it better than the Edge gel I had been using, but haven't made the jump from the Schick St2 disposable razors yet...

Stone

New in Town
It's always been about feel for me. If I shave by sight and think I've done a good job, one pass over my cheek with my hand tells me differently. I always go back to the feel method.

Edward

Bartender
I think I go by both - I did briefly try to do my head with a DE, but realised very quickly that it was gonig to end up in a bloody mess due to not being able to get the right angle up there..... After the scabs healed, I went back to a modern cartridge razor for the head, keeping the DE for my face. It is chiefly a matter of feel. Once you get a feel for your razor, you'll find you more or less instinctively know where you're going with the blade angle etc. I do suggest you begin by practicing on your forearm, or your leg - a much less visible place to make mistakes as you learn! for best results (and when I hav the time) I like to make three passes, relathering between each: one with the grain, one across, and finally one against. I do find, though, that for the first couple of shaves a new blade is just a bit too sharp to do that under my chin without drawing blood, so in that case I only do one (against the grain). You will find you'll develop an instinctive feel for what works pretty quickly.

lostinperiphery

Familiar Face
I personally don't find shavingwith a DE to much different than shaving with a disposable... use less pressure (the weight of the razor alone is enough), and be more mindful of the direction your hair grows in various areas of your face (first pass always in the direction of growth), but otherwise, I don't find excessive care is required. if you do fine with a disposable, i'm sure youll do fine with a DE

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
Shave by feel? Yikes :eek: Well, you could just grow a beard. Trimming a beard is much easier on the eyes than is shaving for those of us with less than 20/20 (6/6) vision :D

davestlouis

Practically Family
I've been haunting every antique store, junk mall and thrift store in St Louis, can't find a DE razor. The lady at the antique mall said I was the 2nd person in 2 days looking for one.

By the way, I can't grow a beard...for 2 reasons:
1. it comes in silvery gray, makes me look 100 years old
2. I'm in the funeral trade, and I can't wear a blue shirt, much less a beard.

davestlouis

Practically Family
Sixties.nut, I work at a VERY old, stuffy firm. I wear a white point-collar shirt, charcoal gray suit, red, gray and black company tie, black lace up shoes and black belt, every day. I have a black trench coat, black wool topcoat...just like the rest of the people there. Even my watch straps are all black leather. We can have one ring on each hand, one subdued watch, no facial hair, no other jewelry. One of the guys made the mistake of wearing slip on shoes with tassels, it didn't end well.

We're supposed to be the grim-faced men who fade into the background, the family and the deceased are always the center of attention...

cooncatbob

Practically Family
I've been shaving my head with a DE for over 3 years and obviously do the back of my head by feel.
If you do your 1st pass with the grain to remove most of the whiskers before you try shave across or against the grain you should be okay.
There's a learning curve as pivoting head razor have preventing many from learning the art of maintaining proper blade angle, but once this is mastered you'll never want to shave with cartridge razors again.

Selvaggio

One of the Regulars
Dave, if you can shave with a modern cartridge you can shave with a DE. Because the DE razor is not as forgiving as a pivot head, multi-blade razor it is MUCH more about feel of the razor.

I have been using a DE razor now for about six months and, whilst I like it, I am a little less evangelical about the experience than some. Firstly, when making the transition I found it pretty common to get small, pretty insignificant nicks...and even now, there are certain 'sectors' I have to be careful about (especially where stubble growing in different directions meet).

Secondly, I have found that the DE razor is just not as efficient as a modern cartridge. Now, I have monster stubble and perhaps that is a factor, but with a new cartridge on my previous razor, one pass was fine. To get a very close shave with a DE I need two distinct passes over, with a re-lather in between.

This, however, is a bit of a benefit for me in a way. I am far too slack and lazy to do a two pass shave every morning and I have found that shaving once with a DE razor has dramatically cut down on in-grown hairs - my theory being the modern, multi-blade razors lift the stubble, cut it and drop it, so the cut end lies below the skin ...close shave, yes, but in my case some really pesky in growns.

So give it a go. If you are having trouble finding a store selling DE razors, consider buying on-line - there are plenty of vendors. Start with an inexpensive razor in case you don't like the whole process. The Japanese brand 'Feather' make a good, cheap razor (as well as my favourite blades).

If your on-line vendor provides a sample pack of different blades I would encourage you to try this as the blades do differ quite a lot.

Good Luck.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Dave, B&B is a great place to learn from. Good bunch there. Check their sale forum for a good adjustable Gillette, a Slim would be a great starting point. Dial it down to a 2 or 3 to start, it will let you work slowly and gently to get the feel for the technique. Or get a good used fat handle Tech, very gentle and great control. Being in St Louis, you have Crabtree and Evelyn, get some of their Sierra soap, it is fantastic. Also, start out with a gentle blade, 7 Oclock or Derby, forget the Merkur [junk] or Feather blades [too sharp for most].

Ed13

Familiar Face
I have been using a DE for over 20 years and once you learn the shaving angle it is all about feel. I shave the back of my neck without using a mirror and have had to shave my face in the dark when the power went out.

I concur to start with a less aggressive razor to learn with. You can try something more aggressive once your technique is better.

Blades can make a big difference. Some blades don't cut as cleanly and pull whiskers a bit. I prefer Feathers since they are so sharp they glide easier. Don't try them right away with an aggressive razor or you will lose a lot of blood.

Soaps and creams also play a roll for smoothness with technique. I prefer soaps over creams but some disagree. It comes down to to preference. Some people have a harder time lathering triple milled soaps as technique is also learned but I don't find anything compares to them.

Good luck.

davestlouis

Practically Family
Ya know, I was looking at the dissposables I use...they are Schick Slim Twin, and the head doesn't pivot, it's fixed to the handle. I've used them for years, largely because they're cheap. I'm still on the lookout for a DE razor, surely I'll stumble on one when I've about given up.

skankpile

New in Town
I've been using a DE for about 2 years now and there is no going back. My face hair feels somewhat like that of swine hair. For a good cartridge shave, I'd have to use a new cartridge every day else it was bumps and irritation.

Now, I use a Merkur Progress with the stainless dots a B&B member makes, and a Shavemac brush. I usually will do a cross grain shave daily, but for the BBS treatment I'll throw in a feather blade and go against the grain now and then...

Now my shaves are pleasurable (good blades don't pull), look better, and cheaper even through I use a new blade every day.

To answer your question... its feel I guess. Different razors feel different like my 38C vs my progress vs my slant. You just have to work with it. I don't really keep any special angle as I feel the blade with my face as I shave and adjust it that way. The best way to really get into it is to search through the B&B threads and watch some of the videos Lee and others made there and just jump in as I'm sure you'll be a convert soon enough.

Valhson

One of the Regulars
with the de or as I call it my "travel razor" it is by feel and in the shower. This is my only excuse for taking a shower longer than the ol Navy style.

I use a straight razor otherwise and refuse to even think about doing it by feel only with that one.

Edit:

I have to agree with skankpile on the different blades having different effects. it really will make a difference, the blade/ razor combo.

davestlouis

Practically Family
The guy at the antique mall called today, said they had 2 safety razors that had just come in...bought a Gilette for $9, cleaned it, bought some grocery store blades, because that was the only store on the way home, sanitized and cleaned the razor thoroughly, and tried to shave my neck as an experiment...it was like using one of those crappy BIC disposables, I didn't do so hot. Anyway, it's a start, and I'll keep practicing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran