Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sheepskin vs goatskin

Seskoad1978

New in Town
May I know your opinion on sheepskin vs goatskin for motorcycle?

I am not english native speaker. I thought lamb and sheep are same animal. Because in our language only two words, domba (sheep or lamb) and kambing (goat). but in http://www.uswings.com/types-of-leather/ it says different.

I hope someone can help me about sheepskin use for motorcycle

I am planning to buy lewis leather jacket, they only offer horsehide and sheepskin but not goatskin. I love goatskin because my current motorcycle jacket is goatskin. for tropical country, it's just perfect, lightweight and better protection, breathable and I don't have more fatigue compare to cowhide jacket

thanks for the info

Edward

Bartender
Mature sheepskin is somewhat thicker / less fragile than lambskin. It was very popular back in the day for British-made motorcycle leathers; the Lewis jackets made of that are very close to the originals from the late 50s / early 60s. I don't know for certain as to abrasion resistance, but I'd be surprised if it was as good as goat. I certainly wouldn't wear an unarmoured Lewis in sheepskin as a protective jacket on a motorcycle.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Sheepskin works as a wind stopper but it has almost no strength. Not good on a bike at all. Goat is used by top bike jacket makers (Langliz) and has the strongest abrasion resistance.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Riding: Goat every time...from a sheep only with Kevlar & significant Armour underneath & then only at 'City' speeds

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
You should post this in the Outerwear section, you will get a lot more feedback there.

Lambskin has no use at all on a motorcycle. Front-Quarter Horsehide, and Steerhide are much better options, Goatskin jackets also work based off preferences. Brands such as Lewis Leathers, Vanson, Schott, Langlitz, Lost Worlds, Johnson Leathers and Aero are all excellent in Quality and service. You'll pay a bit of $$$ for these however it's alot cheaper and safer than a skin graft.
On the site you mentioned, this jacket would make an excellent all-around motorcycle and casual wear jacket, and last a lifetime if cared for (note how even the collar snaps down so not blown around in the wind on a bike.): http://www.uswings.com/product/schott-mens-classic-horsehide-black-leather-racer-motorcycle-jacket/

Edward

Bartender
nice....good info...thank you very much

If you're keen on Lewis, here's something worth looking at:

http://www.urbanrider.co.uk/brands/lewis-leathers.html

Urban Rider is a British motorcycle clothing supplier, and they have worked with Lewis to produce two jacket models (a Monza and a padded café racer) in the heavier horse that Lewis now offer as an option, but with the pockets added for CE armour in the shoulders, elbows, and back. They look fantastic: Lewis quality and style but with modern protective upgrade. I'm hoping over time they expand this range: I'd very much like a Lightning with this feature.

I've heard tell Aero will also do this, though I've never spoken to them about it and it's not been advertised. I hope to next year, though.

Sheepskin works as a wind stopper but it has almost no strength. Not good on a bike at all. Goat is used by top bike jacket makers (Langliz) and has the strongest abrasion resistance.

If memory serves, only Roo has more abrasion resistance than goat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran