Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shinki vs Langlitz Horsehide

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Horsehide from Langlitz might be combination tanned. A beautiful leather. Seems identical to the Himel Shinki that is black oil tanned.

Blackadder

The Horsehide from Langlitz might be combination tanned. A beautiful leather. Seems identical to the Himel Shinki that is black oil tanned.
Could be. There are different "combination" methods. I guess I should say it looks like the Langlitz is not veg tanned.

Last edited:

Proffset

New in Town
wear-test HH & cow.jpg

I am currently waiting for my Langlitz jacket myself (it will probably take another 4-5 months) But I have received sample pictures from Cowhide and Horsehide, because I explicitly asked for a leather that would turn out a nice brown over time. Scott scraped off the cowhide above and the horsehide below for me. And after reading here, it seems to me that they have different horsehide variants to choose from. I definitely decided on the Horsehide, mainly because I find the brown that comes out from under the black really beautiful.

El Marro

@sweetfights did you ever receive your Langlitz horsehide jacket? I would have thought for sure you’d have it by now but considering the way things are going I’m also not surprised if it got delayed.

sweetfights

@sweetfights did you ever receive your Langlitz horsehide jacket? I would have thought for sure you’d have it by now but considering the way things are going I’m also not surprised if it got delayed.

I did receive it.
Sadly there were significant fit issues.
I also did not really like the horsehide and took that opportunity to request and receive a refund.
The sample I received from langlitz was not the same as the leather received. The sample leather was identical to Dave Himel's black shinki. Shinki batches vary.

red devil

I did receive it.
Sadly there were significant fit issues.
I also did not really like the horsehide and took that opportunity to request and receive a refund.
The sample I received from langlitz was not the same as the leather received. The sample leather was identical to Dave Himel's black shinki. Shinki batches vary.

The Japanese rep told me that he sources the leather for Langlitz when I was at the shop - he happened to be visiting.

Not sure if they get Shinki specifically though. Shinki is very inconsistent in what they deliver.

sweetfights

The Japanese rep told me that he sources the leather for Langlitz when I was at the shop - he happened to be visiting.

Not sure if they get Shinki specifically though. Shinki is very inconsistent in what they deliver.
Langlitz did not state it was shinki. When they ask their suppliers the response tends to be cagey. But the sample was identical to shinki. Sadly the end result was not to my liking. Would like to have more details on the leather the Japanese rep works with and more importantly, can supply.

red devil

Langlitz did not state it was shinki. When they ask their suppliers the response tends to be cagey. But the sample was identical to shinki. Sadly the end result was not to my liking. Would like to have more details on the leather the Japanese rep works with and more importantly, can supply.

The rep didn't give much info, they prefer to be discrete about this as far as I could tell

El Marro

I bet a lot of us would be ordering Langlizt horsehide jackets at $2,400 if they could source the horsehide My 50s Langlizt is made from.
Mine too.
That old classic Langlitz Horsehide is without peer.
I have a friend who is from Oregon and he owns an old horsehide Langlitz (60s?) that used to belong to his uncle. The jacket no longer fits either of them but he hangs onto it because of the family history and the amazing leather it is made from.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points