Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shirt collars over lapels?

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Flat Foot Floey said:
:arated:

But my brother doesn't like flashy ties but a sporty 40s/ 50s style. This collar over lapels thing might be the best idea for him.

Whats the difference between 40s Open Collar shirts and 70s? (except polyester)
Does the collar still have a curve?

Some 70s shirts could work, but not very well, as the collars tend to be too wide up and down. 30s and 40s tend to have longer narrower points. Plus fabric. If you have a good eye, you might be able to find one that works. Keep in mind, the look of the 70s was inspired by the 30s and 40s. But not so well sometimes.

There is a line called Mister California that a lot of guys wear as 50s shirts open collar, but they are from the 70s. (I think)

Derek WC

Banned
Flat Foot Floey said:
Whats the difference between 40s Open Collar shirts and 70s? (except polyester)
Does the collar still have a curve?

Generally the 40's-50's points of the collars were pointed more downward, and the collars of the 70's tended to ride on your shoulders instead of on the lapels, with also less curve.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
b23ac4a53f448f67_landing

mattfink

Practically Family
I think this is a great look for shirts with a "convertible" collar like on a gab shirt, but not so good for a regular dress shirt collar.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Or wear a button-down shirt when you aren't going to be fastening the collar. The "No, I didn't just remove my tie. I didn't wear one today." look.

This is why I have so many button-down collars in my closet. I can't stand having my collar points flopping around, or worse yet, out over my lapels. It's just not me.

-Dave

Edward

Bartender
This is why I have so many button-down collars in my closet. I can't stand having my collar points flopping around, or worse yet, out over my lapels. It's just not me.

-Dave

I'm the opposite - quite like the lapels over the collar look as an old-school, devil-may-care casual look, don't care for the modern collar inside 'i haven't bothered to wear a tie' look. One think I cannot abide, however, is a button down collar worn open and buttoned down. Doubles over and just looks awful. I have a few button down shirts I wear with a tie, others that I never wear with a tie (short sleeved, Summer shirts.... mostly patterns that wouldn't work with or are simply too casual for a tie, also I don't want to look like I work in a fast food chain). No tie, collar not buttoned down is an unbreakable rule in my wardrobe, though.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Sorry, to me it's a Saturday Night Fever look. I realize it has precedents earlier, but I'm afraid the disco era ruined it for me.

Some folks definitely pull it off with panache, and I'll bet you're one, but I detest the way it looks on me. To each their own, I suppose.

-Dave

Edward

Bartender
Sorry, to me it's a Saturday Night Fever look. I realize it has precedents earlier, but I'm afraid the disco era ruined it for me.

Some folks definitely pull it off with panache, and I'll bet you're one, but I detest the way it looks on me. To each their own, I suppose.

-Dave

lol I know what you mean. The seventies were certainly influenced by earlier styles (here in the UK they saw not only the 30s and Forties influence, but also the first real fifties revival of which I am aware), but they did often do it poorly. I'm glad Travolta hasn't ruined it for me. You're right, though, he did look awful and I loathe disco (though if you can get past that and those hideous, hideous Bee Gees, it's actually quite an intelligent film with some very interesting commentary on the nature of 'being a man', racism, and some other weighty matter. Shame we don't see that in most mainstream teen flicks today...). The greater shame on Travolta's part, imo, was wearing an almost identical, screamingly Seventies suit (save in black, with a pink shirt) in the school dance sequence in Grease.

Miss Tuppence

A-List Customer
I can’t find a photo, but I just wanted to say that I really like the look of the open collar worn over the lapels- (very taken with it actually) especially when it’s one of those pointy collars (what’s this type of collar called?)
I think it looks best with a more casual jacket or blazer though, and worn on informal occasions of course- I’ve got pics of both my grandfathers, and great grandfather (must be why I like it!) sporting the look, and I think they look rather carefree and dishy!:D
Tx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points