Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shirt collars over lapels?

Derek WC

Banned
What do you all think about putting your shirt collars over your lapels during the summer?

This is the only picture I could find of it, however I have seen it many times in the Reminisce magazine. I'd take a picture, but I don't understand my camera.

dean-martin-in-camp-collar.jpg

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think this would be acceptable, especially if you're going for that casually well dressed look. It appears that the collar has no choice but to spread out over the lapels, but I realize that in some cases people pull the collar out on purpose.

Unless this is some kind of trick question/trap, I'd have to say it looks fine to me. [huh]

Did you have any direction you were taking this, by chance?

Derek WC

Banned
No trick question, I was just wondering that if in terms of 30's - 50's style if it was accepted by the generality.

I just want peoples opinions on if this is acceptable or not, because I often wear summer coats in this particular way.

Just noticed that on my profile picture my collar is over my lapels.

Vintage lover

A-List Customer
I like the look and use it every now and then. I recall a scene in The Aviator when Jude Law, playing Errol Flynn, is in a hospital waiting room and is sporting the look.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
That was a VERY common look back in the day. The one person I always associate that with was David Ben Gurion, first leader of Israel. But it's totally totally a conventional golden era thiing to do.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I like the look with the proviso that a one piece collar is used. Otherwise no.

111-1958.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
Derek WC said:
What do you all think about putting your shirt collars over your lapels during the summer?

This is the only picture I could find of it, however I have seen it many times in the Reminisce magazine. I'd take a picture, but I don't understand my camera.

dean-martin-in-camp-collar.jpg

Looks cool and casual. You need the right collar to pull it off.

Edward

Bartender
I like it in the context of a more rockabilly look. Certainly looks much more 'put together' than an open collar worn inside the jacket, which looks less deliberate, more 'I've just taken off my tie'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot