Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SHIRTS help please

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
On the topic of shirts, does anyone have any experience of the shirts made by Bills Khakis ? They look good on their website but $97.50 ???? Thats the same price as their khaki trousers !!! :eusa_doh:
I can't seem to find a decent example of this style of shirt here in the UK - I bought one of Eastman Leathers 'Rangoon' officer shirts which is OK but is dry clean only. I need shirts I can throw in the wash now and then !!

Colin

Baggers

Practically Family
silhouette53 said:
On the topic of shirts, does anyone have any experience of the shirts made by Bills Khakis ? They look good on their website but $97.50 ???? Thats the same price as their khaki trousers !!! :eusa_doh:
I can't seem to find a decent example of this style of shirt here in the UK - I bought one of Eastman Leathers 'Rangoon' officer shirts which is OK but is dry clean only. I need shirts I can throw in the wash now and then !!

Colin

They're waaay oversized, even more so than what I was expecting. I probably could have worn the next size down, but didn't persue it. I'm not going to buy a shirt that costs that much and not have it fit. Especially one that is only sized S-M-L. The fabric is also prewashed, if I recall. A shame really, I love their trousers, but the shirts seem like an afterthought.

You may need to try looking over here in the U.S. I understand WWII Impressions makes shirts in both wool and cotton khaki, but I have no information about washing. I know import duties are a factor, but at least you'll get an accurate repro.

Cheers!

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
Many thanks for your prompt response Baggers ! When you say they're oversized, do you mean the body fit in relation to the collar size ?
i.e. a size 16 .5" collar is right for me which is what Bills rate as 'Medium' I'm a 40" chest - would the shirt fit too loose on the body ?

I looked at the WW11 impressions site as you suggested - they have some nice looking stuff. I guess their cotton khaki shirts would be the thing to go for as the wool shirts will obviously be a dry clean only proposition

Colin

Baggers

Practically Family
silhouette53 said:
Many thanks for your prompt response Baggers ! When you say they're oversized, do you mean the body fit in relation to the collar size ?
i.e. a size 16 .5" collar is right for me which is what Bills rate as 'Medium' I'm a 40" chest - would the shirt fit too loose on the body ?

Sorry for the late reply Colin, but to answer your question, it seemed the shoulders and, I guess the body as well, were very oversized. I had tried on a large since I wear a 16" x 34" dress shirt and a 42 regular suit jacket and immediately concluded that I would have to try a medium to get something closer to the fit I was wanting. I didn't even attempt buttoning the neck after seeing what the body of the shirt looked like on me. The store didn't have a medium in stock and was going to have to special order it for me, but I just didn't want the bother. I also seem to recall that their size grading was a bit strange, as usually a large fits a 42" - 44" chest and the Bill's fit either a 41" - 43" or something similarly odd. It just wasn't worth exploring further in my opinion.

silhouette53 said:
I looked at the WW11 impressions site as you suggested - they have some nice looking stuff. I guess their cotton khaki shirts would be the thing to go for as the wool shirts will obviously be a dry clean only proposition

Colin

Matt is correct, WW11 Impressions may be the way to go. I did, however, check their fabric care FAQ and it seems the cotton items aren't quite "toss it in the washer" easy. If you make an inquiry, ask if those instructions are still valid. They may at least tell you that you can machine wash in cold water on a gentle cycle and drip dry -- still better than dry cleaning. You could also try What Price Glory. While he also makes a good looking set of khakis at a lower price, I wasn't overly impressed with the construction quality of the set I got a year or two back. Of course, it could have improved since then. At least I can toss his in the washer whenever I need to.

Cheers!

archbury918

One of the Regulars
Juan @ WWII Imp does a very good job at his uniforms, but I speak personally for WPG.
Our group does the EAA show at Oshkosh every July. It's usually hot with periods of sudden thunderstorms. I and a few others have purchased the summer khakis' that Jerry sells. I can say emphatically that they are extremely accurate and well made. We stay on the airfield 24/7 in our uniforms for the run of the show(10 days). Mine have 4 seasons in them and are worn for many other events. At $40 USD, they are a helluva good value. I have originals, but why risk damaging them anymore?
http://www.onlinemilitaria.net/shopexd.asp?id=4815&bc=no

Michael

Baggers

Practically Family
Archbury, since this thread started in '06, WPG's product has improved immensely, just judging from the marked improvement of his British KD offerings in the last couple of years. Although, I have to comment that the buttons on that shirt to which you linked look more British than American.

Another excellent choice to come on the scene recently are At The Front's khakis. I bought 2 sets when they first came out and they still look great after almost weekly wear (my work allows me to dress pretty much as I wish).

cco23i

A-List Customer
I will chime in with if you are going to buy from ww2 impressions MAKE SURE they have what you want in stock!

Scott

archbury918

One of the Regulars
Archbury, since this thread started in '06, WPG's product has improved immensely, At The Front's khakis. I bought 2 sets when they first came out and they still look great after almost weekly wear (my work allows me to dress pretty much as I wish).

LOL It wasn't until after I posted I realized how old the thread was!
I have no issues with the buttons, they certainly pass for US. Yes, Jerry has improved much of his inventory. His web gear is getting better, and I would certainly recommend his basic uniform clothing.
I haven't seen the stuff coming from ATF, but have never been disappointed. I only made the WPG recommendation due to his price/value consideration. Add to it, its pretty accurate.

You're fortunate to wear the khakis at work. I can have the option, but have too much chance of getting them smudged with grease.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails