Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe width modification

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I would imagine that putting shoe uppers that were originally on a narrower sole would make the shoes flatter & therefore tighter than the original. Why not contact Allen Edmonds and see what they say. They refurbish their shoes and would be the best authority to listen to.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Jingo Mastapone said:
Yes, but old spectators are a bit of a bitch to find. Tell me more about this stretcher, will you?

It's like a shoe last that expands both in width and length. A shoe repairman should be able to do it for you, and advise on how far they can be stretched. That's what I did with a pair of shoes that was a bit too narrow, since I don't own a stretcher myself.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Mike in Seattle said:
Why not contact Allen Edmonds and see what they say. They refurbish their shoes and would be the best authority to listen to.
I vaguely recall either AE or Alden saying that the width could be taken in during refurbishment but not let out.

Miss Scarlet

One of the Regulars
A little trick I did with my other half's shoes, which were one size too small, is I put some water in a sandwich bag type thing, tied it up, put it in the shoes and put the shoes in the freezer. It stretched it out a full size and the shoes now fit his feet perfectly. It's cheaper than going to the cobblers and didn't ruin his shoes a bit.

swinggal

One Too Many
I tell you what I do, a wet a pair of thin socks and wear the shoes ar ound the house until the socks are dry. Stretches the leather a full size or more depending on the thickness of the socks. The added advantage is that the leather also moulds to the shape of your foot :)

Give that a try. My shoes were so tight they were unbearable, now I wear them heaps. You have to but up with some pain while you are in the bstrtching process ;0

Jingo Mastapone

Familiar Face
Well swinggal, you're the ming, gal. I tried your method on my boat shoes with a thick pair of socks and it seems to have worked like a charm! The width is perfectly comfortable now. Thanks for the advice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic