Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoulder measurement/fit question.

Bonneville

One of the Regulars
I have one of those unfortunate body types that makes shopping for jackets a bit of a challenge; narrow shoulder-shoulder width, long arms, normal chest.

If one's shoulder edge to shoulder edge is 18 inches wide, what, in your opinion, would be the widest shoulder width you could carry off in a leather moto jacket without drooping shoulder edges? (1.2mm / 3 oz. leather)

Cheers, Ted.

2manyhats

Familiar Face
Oh man, I feel ya! I find a decent sports coat that fits in the chest, shoulders, and body, but my arms are too long! As far as jackets, you should just go with what you think looks good.
Hope someone else can give you better advice. good luck!

Bonneville

One of the Regulars
2manyhats said:
Oh man, I feel ya! I find a decent sports coat that fits in the chest, shoulders, and body, but my arms are too long! As far as jackets, you should just go with what you think looks good.
Hope someone else can give you better advice. good luck!

Yah, unfortunately it is difficult to go "with what you think looks good" when ordering a jacket from a website in another country.
Hoping for some opinions re: my question of shoulder widths but thanks for your encouragement.

Peacoat

Bartender
In having my wife measure my shoulders, I had a problem telling her where to start the tape and where to end it. A shoulder is a rounded object that defies definitive measurement; it is just too subjective. What I found to work for me is to measure the shoulder width on a jacket that fits me well, and work with that measurement.

Bonneville

One of the Regulars
Peacoat said:
In having my wife measure my shoulders, I had a problem telling her where to start the tape and where to end it. A shoulder is a rounded object that defies definitive measurement; it is just too subjective. What I found to work for me is to measure the shoulder width on a jacket that fits me well, and work with that measurement.

Hi Peacoat, thank you for your reply. I am not trying to determine my actual shoulder width as much as I am trying to find out what would be the widest shoulder width one might get away with before the shoulder seams looked droopy if one's shoulders are 18 inches wide.

I ask this question because I presently have my eye on a vintage moto jacket that has a 21 inch shoulder width, unfortunately my shoulders measure 18 inches. Trying to get some opinions along those lines.

I should have posed my original question in a more clear/concise manner, ....apologies.

Ted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot