Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show me your favorite jacket

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Can't say I'm posting this without some level of guilt, as I know there were some people who were interested in the jacket when I had it up for sale, but here's my Johnson motorcycle after some months of wear. I tried to make the photo as dramatic as possible. The overdye is a really nice leather in the sunlight.
image.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Nah, I don't want to read about how it's too short. :D

:lol:

Really nice. What did they do with the fit? As I recall, it was quite boxily cut and you'd sent it back for Ken to review the fit; what came of that?

Looks fantastic, BTW... I love that lining. Do you find it on the warm side?

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Nah, I don't want to read about how it's too short. :D

Actually, I'm with you. These jackets look so much better short. The only style I can think of that looks better worn above the beltline. Mine's 26", which in retrospect is an inch or so too long. I might take mine in, if it doesn't shrink!!

:lol:
Really nice. What did they do with the fit? As I recall, it was quite boxily cut and you'd sent it back for Ken to review the fit; what came of that?
Looks fantastic, BTW... I love that lining. Do you find it on the warm side?

Edward, thank you. It really did turn out fantastic.

The jacket had to have been remade. Couldn't have been tapered, because of the full action back and the pillions so Denny suggested a remake straight away as I emailed the photos - which is beyond wonderful. Once that was settled, I requested approx. two million modifications, all of which, surprisingly enough, Aero agreed upon so here's the result.
It's a modified size 40, BTW; among other things, the waist is 1" less than what's standard for the regular 40. They really made sure this one would fit perfectly and it does.

I got the idea for the Rob Roy lining once I saw that one J106 in the Classifides. Realized I can't think of a better lining to go with the jacket. Also, some of the Buco's had the same one so... Got the heavy version. Not insanely thick, a bit more than cotton drill perhaps, but it sure is warm enough, considerably moreso than the drill. It's itchy, though...

Monitor, that jacket's divine.
I was certain you would like it, even before it arrived! :) Thank you very much.

QT-0022-2.jpg

By the way people, they still seem to have it, the Rob Roy tartan lining so just make sure to ask.

Last edited:
Yes, very nice. Looks like it only needs to be worn.
Thank you, tmitchell. Glad you think so. And yep, you're definitely right about it needing to be worn, but it just arrived. Didn't even take it out much, how annoyingly new and shiny it is. :)

Actually, I'm with you. These jackets look so much better short. The only style I can think of that looks better worn above the beltline. Mine's 26", which in retrospect is an inch or so too long. I might take mine in, if it doesn't shrink!!
I agree hundred per cent. Even the last one didn't seem right so this one's even shorter. It's certainly short alright, sitting just on the beltline when I'm standing straight, but it looks cool. Definitely not a good look for a more straightforward designs like HWM, or Cafe Racers even but like you've said, for Perfectos, the shorter, the better. Too bad the style got so stretched nowadays. Got a chance to try a LW Buco few days ago - gotta admit, outstandingly awesome beast of a jacket with insane attention to detail, but also made slightly too long (24.5 inch, I believe it was?)...

Let's just hope it won't shrink.

Here's one more photo with a hard belt I had made especially for it.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Just try to enjoy it without worry. Make some memories in it. If it comes to the point where it shrinks too short to wear (very unlikely), you might have to rid the jacket but the fond memories will always stay! And maybe down the road, it won't bug you as much as you think it will now if it shrinks. But it shouldn't keep you up at night, even though it probably does. We just can't live in fear. The thing is, none of us will take our jackets with us when we leave this earth, so conditioning yourself into a mentality not afraid to "let go" of our prized possessions is a good lesson to absorb. Also a good way to attempt to enjoy our jackets instead of always thinking of the "what ifs". (However, my theory is that on the other side, we'll all find ourselves in a room, with a giant FL get together, all wearing our dream jackets that never were on earth).

Last edited:
Very well said, Nick. Schitzo's thread got me concerned there for a moment but I no longer worry. I think of it this way; If I had known about the shrinkage prior to ordering the jacket, I probably would've asked for that extra inch but then I would have to hope for it to shrink in order to get the desired length, and since there's no guarantee that would ever really happen, I don't think I would never be quite as happy with it as I am now, when it's just right. And even if it shrinks, I don't care - and neither should you, people. 'cause, once it truly becomes my jacket, I know it'll look damn good. Nothing's so cool as an old, beat up, well worn jacket, still on its original owner. Thinking and worrying about it too much wont ever get any of us there, though... And neither will too many jackets.

Schitzo, get that jacket out of the suitcase and start wearing it. In a week, you won't even remember what was it that bothered you about it.

pak

One of the Regulars
Living in 'fear' of my leather jackets shrinking is something I will not experience.

Mark

Practically Family
:
Just try to enjoy it without worry. Make some memories in it. If it comes to the point where it shrinks too short to wear (very unlikely), you might have to rid the jacket but the fond memories will always stay! And maybe down the road, it won't bug you as much as you think it will now if it shrinks. But it shouldn't keep you up at night, even though it probably does. We just can't live in fear. The thing is, none of us will take our jackets with us when we leave this earth, so conditioning yourself into a mentality not afraid to "let go" of our prized possessions is a good lesson to absorb. Also a good way to attempt to enjoy our jackets instead of always thinking of the "what ifs". (However, my theory is that on the other side, we'll all find ourselves in a room, with a giant FL get together, all wearing our dream jackets that never were on earth).

:cry: pass the tissues

nick123

I'll Lock Up
:

:cry: pass the tissues

It's quite a random post. Apologies if out of place/slightly nonsensical! I've been doing that a lot lately. I'm going to stop posting for a few weeks while I get my caffeine intake worked out, and perhaps cry me a river or two in the process. Plenty of self-hugs too. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24