Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show off your Ebay finds and purchases

GHT

I'll Lock Up
At first glance I thought that you might be sitting on a small fortune. Had that been a Ravillious Mug it could easily fetch £500. However, George 5th coronation was 22nd June 1911. Eric Ravillious was born in 1903, making him eight years old in 1911.
However, Eric Ravilious grew up and became a painter, designer, book illustrator and wood-engraver. My confusion, put it down to age, was that Ravillious' first commission was for the coronation mug for King Edward VIII, bearing the date 1938. The mug was withdrawn following the abdication, and the design revised for the coronation of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth, and later for the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II in 1952.
Find yourself anything of the abdicated Edward and you will find it's worth a great deal to collectors. All coins were withdrawn, (we are told,) but postage stamps watermarked with a crown and "E8R", the 1⁄2d green, the 1+1⁄2d brown and the 2+1⁄2d blue stamps were issued on 1 September 1936, and the one penny red on 14 September. After Edward's abdication there was the usual delay in designing and distributing the stamps of George VI. Thus the Edward VIII stamps remained on sale for months.
edward 8th.jpg
The 'd' is an abbreviation of the Latin word 'denarius'.

Another addition to my collection of old license plates.

I just learned that the 6 by 12 inch plate didn’t become the nationwide standard here in God’s Country until 1956. The plate below, dating to 1955, measures about 5-1/4 by 13-1/2 inches. I have a 1928 Kansas plate measuring 5-1/4 by 14-1/2.

IMG_2965.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner