Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us the food dishes you've prepared.

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
fortworthgal said:
For some reason I have not had good luck in the past keeping starters going, but I want to try it again.

The problems with keeping a sourdough starter going can usually be traced to one (or both) of two things:

Never put anything in your starter except flour and water; there are a zillion traditions out there of doctoring it with one thing or another...but the thing is, you want to keep the chemistry just where YOUR yeast likes it...adding things that make it sweeter, or change the pH, or introduce bacteria that live on something else (while giving that bacteria something it likes to eat) really can screw things up. "Keep an even flow!"

Make sure your starter is working at all times when it is out in ambient temperatures--you want to see it bubbling away. Once it goes dormant, it can't protect itself against whatever else might like to move in. You've got to keep IT the dominant culture in your medium. If you don't want to keep feeding it (and most of us don't bake enough sourdough to use it up as fast as we make it, and you can only give so much of it away!), put it in the fridge. It should keep pretty much indefinitely in there.

Also, don't be put off by the alcoholic-smelling and dirty looking liquid that will rise to the top of your dormant culture....sometimes called the "hooch." Just stir it right back in. The presence of this liquid is NOT a sign that things have gone bad. Believe me: you'll know it, in the very, very unusual chance that you'll have a culture go bad (assuming you've been good about the stuff above): the smell will be definitely "off." If it smells clean, like it should...it will be fine, no matter WHAT it looks like. There have been times when through long disuse and inattention some of my starters have completely dried up.....just throw water on, stir it up....and off you go again. Yeast is about as close to immortal as a living thing can get: if you don't freeze it or boil it, it will live. If you feed it at any temperature between those points, it will grow, and at room temperatures, it will thrive.

So, good for you! Give it another go, and I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun and make a lot of very good bread.

"Skeet"

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
I've been doing a lot of cooking lately and i've discovered i'm pretty good at it...

Italian food is my favorite so i've been cooking the classic dishes...

i already know how to do the classic spaghetti and tomato sauce so i moved up to stuffed manicotti, then a lasagna, then i picked up an Atlas pasta machine and started my first round of fresh pasta (angel hair and linguine), yesterday i attempted an alfredo sauce that turned out great and tested that on my fresh pasta...

and then last night i graduated to home-made ravioli stuffed with mild italian sausage, spinach, ricotta and parmigiano reggiano...oh yes...they turned out fantanstico...here's a picture of my first lasagna and the uncooked ravioli drying on a cloth:

0404092117.jpg

*NOTE* for the red sauces i've had to resort to store bought canned sauce until the tomatoes start growing and i can make my own sauce...stinks but it's still good...

0413092200.jpg

*NOTE* these raviolis are the first victims yet i was surprised they didn't pop when i cooked them...as the night when on the technique was perfected and the later ones weren't as 'bulged' or overstuffed as these...

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
SamMarlowPI said:
*NOTE* for the red sauces i've had to resort to store bought canned sauce until the tomatoes start growing and i can make my own sauce...stinks but it's still good...

Dear Sam,
Looks great, and I'll bet ate even better! While you wait for those tomatoes to come in--long pause--I must say that I've been very pleased with these products:

http://gallery.me.com/finiancircle#100014/DSCF1930

The Barilla prepared sauces are, to my taste, the best i've found...and I'm particularly fond of this "al Forno" baking sauce (they've marketed it under both names...if you run across old stock)...which I use pretty much as my stand-by prepared sauce or base for tweaking. I'd think this should be fairly easy to find most anywhere.

The canned San Marzano tomatoes are another story...there's only one store in our area that seems to carry this brand...and THIS brand is the one you want, IMHO: other San Marzanos that I've tried don't measure up to the quality here. This is a wonderful product...available all year long...and is the kind of ingredient that will REALLY make your dishes "pop." I couldn't live without them. As you can see...they're pretty quiet about the brand name! But, on the back, the source is "Simpson Imports, Ltd., New Milford NJ." A little Googling revealed this:

Simpson Imports, Ltd.
93 Old York Rd
Ste 1-560
Jenkintown, PA, 19046-3925 US
Phone: 201.353.3100
Fax: 201.353.3100

These tomatoes are domestically grown, as well...so, you're not paying for the bad state of the dollar.

For what it's worth....as recherché a chef as Mario Batali never uses fresh tomatoes for sauces...he uses canned, thinking them just as good...and feels ripe fresh tomatoes should never be used for anything but....slicing and eating as is!

Good luck, keep cooking, and keep letting us see the results!

"Skeet"

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
SamMarlowPI said:
thanks a bunch, skeet...

here's the ravioli with alfredo sauce and fresh parmigiano:

ravioli.jpg

i love white sauce...

MMMMMM....now where did you say you lived? It'll just take me a few moments to get my fork.... :rolleyes:

Hey, Sam: is that a bed of tagliatelle or something peeking out from under the ravioli? Interesting...

"Skeet"

Luke 42

One of the Regulars
[QUOTE="Skeet" McD]
For what it's worth....as recherché a chef as Mario Batali never uses fresh tomatoes for sauces...he uses canned, thinking them just as good...and feels ripe fresh tomatoes should never be used for anything but....slicing and eating as is!

"Skeet"[/QUOTE]

As far as I know most italians do so, because fresh tomatoes are too sour/acidic. I find that myself as well...and as I student, I do a lot of pasta with tomato sauce;)

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
we planted those big bertha tomatoes last year and they got so big and we had so many that we boiled them down, skinned em, and mashed them up, added some tomato paste, onions, garlic, meats, etc. and it was really good...and much, much lighter on the stomach...

so it can be done...perhaps just a personal preference or...

but that is really good to know...i use canned tomatoes to add a little texture and zip but i'll look at using them to make an actual sauce...

rumblefish

One Too Many
Luke 42 said:
As far as I know most italians do so, because fresh tomatoes are too sour/acidic.

...Not this one...:)

I grow plum or Roma tomatoes in the summer to use for sauce all year long.
Cooking tomatoes for a long while will do the same as canning would. Cook them with the other ingredients for sauce; onion, garlic, salt and more of the acid is cut. Cook also with meat; pork, beef, veal- even better. For marinara add a shredded carrot to the onion to saute. And fresh basil, only a leaf or two goes in at the last fifteen minutes. As for Bolognese, the ingredients for my recipe don't give acidity a chance: pork, beef, venison, (sometimes bone marrow) pancetta, porcini, chicken liver, carrot, celery, onion, cream, the pureed tomatoes from the garden, and a few other things.

Hey Sam those raviolis do not look like crap!

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
my most recent dish: classic chili (no beans) with jalapeno cornbread...

chili2.jpg

pops went back for seconds so i guess it was pretty good...

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
SamMarlowPI said:
my most recent dish: classic chili (no beans) with jalapeno cornbread...

chili2.jpg

pops went back for seconds so i guess it was pretty good...

[QUOTE="Skeet" McD]MMMMMM....now where did you say you lived? It'll just take me a few moments to get my fork.... :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
No, seriously: WHERE did you say you lived? I've got my fork now....
"Skeet"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21