Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us the food dishes you've prepared.

buler

I'll Lock Up
Krumcake - norwegian treat

Just finished making these for the first time tonight. Saw this thread and thought I'd share. These are a traditional Norwegian treat that my family usually makes around Christmas. My mom just got the new iron this year so I gave it a try. They turned out great. One thing in the recipe is cardamom spice. Holy crap, this stuff was $13.75. Turns out its the 2nd most expensive spice next to saffron.

We eat these just as you see, but some people put whipped cream, ice cream, berries, etc. inside.

Enjoy.
Bill
3211835136_52355554d3_o.jpg

buler

I'll Lock Up
Laura Chase said:
CherryRed, can you tell us more about your lovely Christmas foods, is the Torte Rustica national Christmas food somewhere? I love hearing about different Christmas traditions because I never grew up with Christmas and now, in creating my own Christmas traditions, I just take a bit of everything I like from everywhere. For example, when I grow up, I will definitely be making confit de canard for my traditional Christmas dinners! ;)

I love this thread, and want more activity. I have a very sweet tooth and bake a lot, so here are some cakes I have made lately.

This cake is the best Danish cake ever! It's called "hindbærsnitte" which translates to "raspberry slice". It consists of a very buttery, crumbly pastry sandwiched with raspberry marmalade and icing and sprinkles on top:
3107647066_46163a6ea0.jpg

QUOTE]

Laura, the raspberry slice looks delicious. It kind of reminds me of a scandinavian pastry we have around the midwest called Kringle. Can you post the recipe?

thanks
Bill

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Vintage Betty, thank you so much. If you want to give the macarons a try, here's the recipe.

buler, is the krumcake crispy? It looks like that, like a kind of crispy pancake. And what a beautiful iron! In Scandinavia, cardamom is used A LOT, in pancakes especially, and it's inexpensive, so I guess it's not as common in the US?

Also in Denmark, kringle is more like a buttery puff pastry. This is a bit different, it's more like a pie pastry. Here is the recipe I used:

Raspberry slices
Dough:
200 g unsalted butter (a tip: bring to room temperature before use)
150 g powdered sugar
1 tbsp vanilla or vanilla sugar (optional)
350 g flour
1 egg (a tip: bring to room temperature before use)

Filling:
175 g. raspberry marmelade

Icing:
200 g powdered suger
2 tbsp water

Topping:
fresh strawberries or sprinkles

Baking time:
20-25 minutes at 175° C

Preparation:
For the dough, I usually use my food processor, as I would for a pie. You don't want this dough to get too warm, so you don't want to use your hands, but you can just use an electric mixer or wooden spoon if you don't have a food processor.

- Crumble the butter into the flour.
- Add the powdered sugar and vanilla and gather the dough as quickly as you can with the egg.
- Cover it and keep in the fridge for about 1 hour.

- Split up the dough into 2 portions.
- Roll each portion to a square about 20x30 cm./8x12 inches. Prick small holes in it with a fork.
- Bake them on a baking sheet with baking paper until golden. It takes about 20 minutes.
- Let the cakes cool off on a rack.

- If you want your cakes to look super perfect, cut the edges straight, so you get perfectly shaped slices. As you can see, I usually just leave them as they are.
- Put half the marmelade on one half of the cake and the rest of the marmelade on the other.
- Put the cakes together to a sandwich.
- Decorate with icing and sprinkles on top.
- Slice the cake into as many slices as you want and any way you want. As you can see, I usually cut them into 6 oblong slices, but depending on the occasion, you can cut them any way you like. Just remember that the dough is quite crumbly.

buler

I'll Lock Up
Laura Chase said:
Vintage Betty, thank you so much. If you want to give the macarons a try, here's the recipe.

buler, is the krumcake crispy? It looks like that, like a kind of crispy pancake. And what a beautiful iron! In Scandinavia, cardamom is used A LOT, in pancakes especially, and it's inexpensive, so I guess it's not as common in the US?

Laura, the krumcake is usually crispy. With this new iron it takes more batter to fill the grooves, so they turned out thicker and more chewy. Thats fine with me. I prefer them chewy versus the crispy. It will vary on how long you leave them in also. I don't like them too brown.

Thanks for the recipe!

Bill

Kim_B

Practically Family
Wow, where has this thread been all my life?! I will have to add a few of my own concoctions to the mix! In the meantime, please, carry on with the wonderful desserts and baked items :) I'm not brave enough to try breads myself, so I'll live vicariously through those of you who are! :D

Kim_B

Practically Family
Over the holidays I made some chocolate covered pretzels - both milk and white chocolate, drizzled in melted cherry bark. I also made these chocolate covered marshmallows as gifts for co-workers (for stirring your hot cocoa), also in milk and white chocolate with crushed candy canes:
ChocolateMarshmallows.jpg

This was much "prettier" in person than it looks in the photo...I think my camera batteries are dying. Anyway, this was dinner tonight - Kim's Chili Mac Supreme :)
IMG_1149-2.jpg

Now to start thinking about tomorrow's dinner...

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
HadleyH said:
Thank you! I will have a macaroon! (or 2 ;) ) and while we are at it, can i have some sushi too? :D You are a great cook Laura, congratulations!!!

HadleyH, we have the same taste! Let's go over to Laura's for dinner. Yummmm....haven't made sushi in way too long.

Here's what I made last week:

Crock Pot Tomato Soup

It's really easy and sugar free in case anyone wants the recipe.

tomato_soup.JPG

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Kim_B, what's cherry bark? It kinda looks like the freeze-dried raspberry sprinkle I've tried on top of chocolate mousse, brownies and so forth. It's so tasty!

Vintage Betty, I was wondering why it's called "crock pot"? And I simply love those plates, are they vintage, or can I somehow buy them myself?

HadleyH, thank you! If I come to California later this year (I'll know in april when UC has handled my application), I will make french macarons for you gals!

Kim_B

Practically Family
Laura Chase said:
Kim_B, what's cherry bark? It kinda looks like the freeze-dried raspberry sprinkle I've tried on top of chocolate mousse, brownies and so forth. It's so tasty!

Actually, now that I've looked at the package again, they're more of a cherry flavored morsel - similar to the chocolate chip morsels, but they're cherry flavored. Just melt them and put them on just about any treat you want! Very yummy!!

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Alright, so this is not a desert nor is it something extraordinary. It's one of my everyday dishes and I had it last night. For everyday, I try to eat as healthy as I can, with lots of vegetables (at least 300 g. for dinner and for lunch too, if possible). If you like celery (I love it), I think this dish is a really good way of getting your veggies. Plus, it's incredibly easy to make!

Originally, this recipe is an Italian recipe for turkey with celery, carrots, almonds and brandy, but I've removed the almonds and brandy and added a lot more veggies. So this is my low-fat version of this dish. Almonds are great for you, so the dish would still be very healthy if you add them!

You sauté celery and carrots in olive oil (and some butter if you want), then you brown the turkey pieces in the same pan, and add salt and pepper (I'm a pepper monkey so I use lots of pepper in this dish). Add some white vine (or stock) and let it boil down. Then you add some sort of low fat creamy product - it can be milk or Cremefine. I don't know what it's called in other countries, but over here, it's an alternative to cream, but with healthy vegetable fats (in stead of animal-fats). If you're not worried about calories, then use real cream or coconut milk. When you've added the cream-product, you let this cook as long as you want (I usually cook it for 5-10 more minutes, with a lid on), and it's ready! Serve with brown rice, and you have a very healthy dinner.

3222812428_f0c1bf9e30.jpg

MissJeanavive

One of the Regulars
My First Bundt Cake

This is my inauguration Day Pumpkin Bundt Cake.

l_933723408042468eb1c978c666f050ca.jpg

"A Bundt cake is the name used for a dessert cake cooked in a Bundt pan, whose identifying attribute is its ringed shape. It is pronounced "bunt", the "d" being silent. The Bundt pan (a registered trademark) was created in 1950 by H. David Dalquist, founder of Nordic Ware, at the request of members of the Hadassah Society's chapter in Minneapolis, Minnesota.[1] They were interested in a pan that could be used to make bundkuchen (sometimes called kugelhopf or Gugelhupf), a popular German and Austrian coffee cake. The old-world pans, with fluted and grooved sides, made of delicate ceramic or heavy cast iron, were difficult to use. He modified some existing Scandinavian pan designs and fashioned the pan out of aluminum." (From Wikipedia)

Kim_B

Practically Family
MissJeanavive said:
This is my inauguration Day Pumpkin Bundt Cake.

l_933723408042468eb1c978c666f050ca.jpg

Have I ever mentioned that I LOVE cake..and I LOVE pumpkin...and I can't imagine anything better than PUMPKIN BUNDT CAKE!! :) This looks wonderful!

Kim_B

Practically Family
I was hungry yesterday afternoon and didn't know what to eat...after rummaging through the cabinets and freezer, I managed to find some ground beef, and white rice...so I browned some onions in butter, then browned the ground beef...I prepared the rice, and then mixed the two together. That was good, but it still needed something...I found some French style green beans and added that to the mix. It was quite good, and very simple. I imagine it's the same filling people use for stuffed peppers and the like.

Laura Chase said:
CherryRed, can you tell us more about your lovely Christmas foods, is the Torte Rustica national Christmas food somewhere? I love hearing about different Christmas traditions because I never grew up with Christmas and now, in creating my own Christmas traditions, I just take a bit of everything I like from everywhere. For example, when I grow up, I will definitely be making confit de canard for my traditional Christmas dinners! ;)

I love this thread, and want more activity. I have a very sweet tooth and bake a lot, so here are some cakes I have made lately.

French chocolate macarons with bitter chocolate ganache:
3203747212_fa5559f810.jpg

French macarons and a type of Bosnian cake called "cupavci", it resembles the Australian lamingtons:
3206396166_febf355f22.jpg

French plain macarons with white chocolate and raspberry ganache. The white ones are just simple coconut meringue kisses:
3033338932_9a8078a074.jpg

French macarons (top), coconut meringue (middle) and brownies (bottom):
3032492265_6a91cf79b7.jpg

This cake is the best Danish cake ever! It's called "hindbærsnitte" which translates to "raspberry slice". It consists of a very buttery, crumbly pastry sandwiched with raspberry marmalade and icing and sprinkles on top:
3107647066_46163a6ea0.jpg

I made this for New Year's, it's a Danish cake called "kransekage", it's basically marzipan, eggwhites and sugar, baked and then dipped in chocolate and decorated with icing (I went a bit Pollock-crazy with the icing, it's traditionally done very neatly):
3157228249_de7d1b1607.jpg

Laura, your confections look wonderful!!!

The Torte Rustica is really just an horderve recipe I got from my MIL a number of years ago. I stated making it on Christmas because it is so rich we could never eat it all the time. It is basically a puff pastry that is filled with a mixture of feta cheese, mozzarella, ricotta, spinach, egg, and roasted red peppers.

Laura Chase said:
Alright, so this is not a desert nor is it something extraordinary. It's one of my everyday dishes and I had it last night. For everyday, I try to eat as healthy as I can, with lots of vegetables (at least 300 g. for dinner and for lunch too, if possible). If you like celery (I love it), I think this dish is a really good way of getting your veggies. Plus, it's incredibly easy to make!

Originally, this recipe is an Italian recipe for turkey with celery, carrots, almonds and brandy, but I've removed the almonds and brandy and added a lot more veggies. So this is my low-fat version of this dish. Almonds are great for you, so the dish would still be very healthy if you add them!

You sauté celery and carrots in olive oil (and some butter if you want), then you brown the turkey pieces in the same pan, and add salt and pepper (I'm a pepper monkey so I use lots of pepper in this dish). Add some white vine (or stock) and let it boil down. Then you add some sort of low fat creamy product - it can be milk or Cremefine. I don't know what it's called in other countries, but over here, it's an alternative to cream, but with healthy vegetable fats (in stead of animal-fats). If you're not worried about calories, then use real cream or coconut milk. When you've added the cream-product, you let this cook as long as you want (I usually cook it for 5-10 more minutes, with a lid on), and it's ready! Serve with brown rice, and you have a very healthy dinner.

3222812428_f0c1bf9e30.jpg

I have a recipe for chicken that is very much like this only it uses white wine and sour cream in the sauce. I serve it over mashed potatoes. It is one of my favorites!

Laura Chase

One Too Many
CherryRed, I'll try it with sour cream. Is sour cream the same as creme fraiche? Maybe I could use some kind of yoghurt in stead to make it more low-fat (creme fraiche is 38% fat over here, I don't know if it's the same with sour cream), it sounds really good and would add some lovely sourness. And I use white wine too, it makes all the difference.

Torte Rustica sounds sooo good, three different cheeses AND spinach... Yuuum!

Here's my dinner last night, it's lots of olive oil, curry, chicken and all sorts of veggies.

3225935680_06ebaa1f39.jpg

Oh and I forgot to say that MissJeanavive, your cake looks heavenly! I have never baked a pumpkin cake and would like to see your recipe!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo