Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us the food dishes you've prepared.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Sour Cream- must have.

Sour cream is available in Copenhagen- I was buying it last year.

I might have been getting it at the big Irma på Gammel Kongevej
but I'm sure I've seen it in Fötex.

Sour cream is creamier (fattier) than the other similar products- creme fraiche always seems a little dry in the mouth.

Sour cream is tops and is worth any extra effort needed to find it.

Happy eating.

B
T

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mmmm...everything looks *so* good! I'm getting hungry!

Laura Chase said:
Vintage Betty, I was wondering why it's called "crock pot"? And I simply love those plates, are they vintage, or can I somehow buy them myself?

A crock pot is a slow-warming pot with an electrical plug. It's exactly like keeping a pot on an extra low burner on the stove all day. Most crock pots have two settings - low and high. You put all the ingredients in layers (usually root vegetables or meat on the bottom, vegetables on top), add liquid and let the pot simmer all day long - 4 to 8 hours usually. It's great for cold weather or having dinner when you come home.

Laura Chase said:
HadleyH, thank you! If I come to California later this year (I'll know in april when UC has handled my application), I will make french macarons for you gals!

Hoho! I'm standing in line waiting for that day!

And a big thank you for the plate compliments. They are stoneware, and were originally very very cheap ($50 for 4 complete place settings). My husband and I had them on our wedding list because we couldn't find any china we liked. People really liked buying a heavy box of dishes for $50 instead of a china plate for $100 as a wedding gift. lol

We bought at least 20 maybe 30 place settings plus two full service settings because we figured the pattern would go out of style and be hard to replace.

The place setting is still available, but it's shot up in price.

Brand: Sakura
Name of Style: Tango

Replacements search

Kim_B

Practically Family
May I present my Groundhog Day cupcakes...

HappyGroundhogDay.jpg

Luke 42

One of the Regulars
Nothing posh, but very tasty:) And pretty cheap aswell, which is good for my student wallet. The whole pot cost me about 3 GBP.
Soup/Stew (I'm not really sure what's the difference at all[huh] ) Ingredients are in order of putting it in the pot:
water, vegetable stock
diced ox heart (tastes pretty much like regular stew meat, tried it for the first time because it is very cheap and I like the idea of not only eating some parts of an animal..I think it shows some respect)
potatoes
onions
swede
parsnip
carrots
leek

thats it..boil for about 1 and a half or 2 hours
Please apologize the bad picture:eusa_doh:

CIMG4909.jpg

Kim_B

Practically Family
Laura Chase - I <3 cupcakes like crazy! It's the perfect solution for some one with a very short attention span - you can make them all alike, or make them all different. But they're all going to be super tasty!

Josephine

One Too Many
Laura Chase said:
... I was wondering why it's called "crock pot"?

Crock Pot is actually a trademarked name that is used, like Kleenex is for tissue or Xerox is for photocopying, for slow cookers. They most likely named it crock pot as the inside was a stoneware, crockery pot type liner to hold the food.

Here's the wiki article if you really want to know more. :)

Vintage Betty

Very cool Josephine! However, I still call it a crockpot. lol

Had Crockpot Chicken with Dijon Mustard last night.
chickdijcp3.jpg

Picture from the recipe page, I forgot to take a photo.

Incredibly easy recipe here.

Medvssa

One of the Regulars
Mediterranien style rice with vegetables

This is enough for 2 or 3 people. All of the pics in the order I took them can be seen here (there are more details to be seen there, for example how much oil I used).

The pictures in this text are clickable.

This is what you need:

Olive oil, salt, dried garlic (or fresh if you are not lazy), turmeric, saffron, ñora pepper (if you find it... I found it powdered in Carrefour, it is slightly spicy and has a particular savoury taste).
An onion, a green bell pepper.
Meditarranean sort of rice (round-ish: arborio, bomba...).
A glass jar of peas and small carrots, 420g strained.
A glass jar of mushroom mix (or champignon I guess) 185g strained.
Real broth, or half a broth cube (vegetables).
A deep and wide pan. Another pan for the mushrooms.

You first fry the onion at medium fire in some olive oil, in a moment (I cut the broth cube in smaller pieces meanwhile) add the garlic too. Bring some water to a boil to add it to the broth cube, about a glass of water is enough for now, but keep more hot water ready until you are finished. When the onion is a little bit transparent, add the pepper and salt. Fry for a while, but not much, as we will boil later. Meanwhile, the mushrooms can be rinsed and strained.

Then it is time to add the rice. I add two handfuls per person, then another extra "for the pan". This is a handful:

Let this fry for a moment and then add the spices (ñora, turmeric, saffron).

While the rice fries at a medium to high fire, you can fry the mushrooms at a low-medium fire with some olive oil. I have to cover them with a net thingy since they splatter like crazy (fly out of the pan, actually) even after straining. Stir them now and then.

Stir the rice now and then but not much. It has to become transparent and a little golden like in the picture:

It is then time to add the warm broth. Add it a little slowly. Now let it boil at a medium to high fire, do not cover it. Meanwhile, the peas and carrots can be strained, and added to the mushrooms when these are already a little fried, just to mix them a little bit.

The rice has to be tested now and then to see how done it is, and to correct the taste if necessary. Normally more hot water will have to be added as it evaporates, slowly. Don't add too much at once or you may find the rice is done but there is still too much water that needs to be evaporated.
When the rice is done, more al dente than too soft, the rest of the vegetables may be added and everything stirred.

It may be left at the fire another 5 minutes or so to blend the tastes a bit.

The rice shouldn't be too dry, but not too watery either. Enjoy!

If you want to add meat like chicken, or prawns, then they should be fried first, and left in the pan for the rest of the process. And if the vegetables are fresh, same thing, add them when you add the pepper or so.

Vintage Betty

Mmm....that looks so good! thanks for all your hard work in showing the detailed steps - it's great!

Here's last night's dinner, homemade lasagna:

lasagna_020409.JPG

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Lasagna, the food of the Gods! There's nothing like it. Vintage Betty, your lasagna looks just perfect! Fresh mozzarella on top, yuum!

Medvssa, I will try your dish, and pass it on to my vegetarian friends! And may I say, your nails look beautiful. ;)

Medvssa

One of the Regulars
Ah, I love lasagna! I only make it on the weekends because it takes over an hour to prepare though :eek:

Thank you Laura, you guessed right, I am vegetarian :)

Vintage Betty

Laura Chase, thank you for the compliment! It's nice to know there is another "browned cheese" lover reading these posts!

Medvssa - I use no boil noodles and it shaves off quite a bit of time and pot cleaning. ;)

Tonight's dinner

Kale and Roasted Vegetable Soup

kale_soup_020909.JPG

Recipe here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo