Show us the LAPEL PINS

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by MondoFW, Jun 18, 2018.

1. MondoFW

MondoFW Practically Family

Canadian, thank you for the kind words. I am always a little careful with engaging politically, and I now know you meant no discourse. Your analysis of the pin may be correct, and in that case I'll likely just ditch the pin in mixed company. No harm done.

2. Canadian

Canadian One of the Regulars

Mondo,

Something about lapel pins is that having one vintage pin on, once in a while, is fine. But for me, it strikes me as a little bit of a hipster thing to have multiple pins on, or one pin on all the time. Locally, there are girls who go about with 10+ pins attached to their clothing, their purse, etc. I don't like the look.

C.

MondoFW likes this.
  3. MondoFW

MondoFW Practically Family

I see this as well, they're usually stacked on their backpack. Whenever I don a pin, it's one pin only, and worn on my jacket's lapel. Additionally, I don't always wear the pin, usually for more special occasions.

4. The Necktie Guy

The Necktie Guy Familiar Face

Here are some pictures from Etsy listings that I find interesting, and some that I find amusing.

1950's Pepsi-Cola Lapel Pin. Most likely worn by an advertiser back in the day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enamel Star Stick Pin
    [​IMG]

Textured Rhombus in Gold Tone
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  5. crawlinkingsnake

crawlinkingsnake One of the Regulars

Thank you Redfokker for coming to my (our) aid. The pin perhaps in question has absolutely nothing to do with Nazis, Germany, Hitler or anything else along those lines. It's simply what it is... a beloved college fraternity (Tau Kappa Epsilon) that I've been a member since 1970. That's why it's known as "the fraternity for life". If someone tries to read something else into it, that would be a shame. It's a great bunch of guys and after many years we still gather to enjoy football games, fishing, golf, eat BBQ and yes even on occasion drink sometimes large volumes of beer. :confused::p:D

Redfokker and Winston Carter like this.
  6. Feraud

Feraud Bartender

Bumping this old thread. Here is a vintage Red Cross Life Saving Corp pin. IMG_2477.jpg

7. Edward

Edward Bartender

The Stewardess / Pilot distinction is interesting! I imagine that marks it as of its time. Commercial collectables like that which were never on general sale are always fascinating.

Reminds me of the "Vote Cthulu, because we're all tired of voting for the lesser evil!" pins I saw a few years ago - wish I'd bought one!

I have quite a few pin badges here and there. Most of the ones I wear regularly are modern and political. I also wear some that are very consciously done in an older style - pins the denote my affiliation to The Chap, my membership pins for the New Sheridan Club, and such. I have a couple of reproductions of Irish Transport and General Workers Union badges, including one of the 1913 members badge that was worn at the Dublin Lockout, and a later one from the late 20s depicting the red hand and a phoenix rising from the flames - symbolic of the union born anew after so many of its members died in either French or Irish fields between 1914 and 1923. The genuinely vintage pins I have are mostly motorcycle-related, the earliest dating to the 1960s. All enamel, typical of the 'rocker' scene.

8. HanauMan

HanauMan Practically Family

Pan Am introduced a more gender neutral badge for kids in the late 1970s, now a plastic pin instead of pressed metal.

IMG_4985.JPG

Edward likes this.
  9. HanauMan

HanauMan Practically Family

IMG_4989.JPG

A trio of plastic pins that I kept from my childhood. The top two came free with breakfast cereals. Can't remember which cereal but I got them about 1972 / 73. The Love is Peace certainly harks back to that period of time and the Wise Quacker pin I wore again decades later when I achieved my degree!

Edward and Feraud like this.