Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us their hats!

Reno Brothers Gang (1864 - 1868)

Brothers Frank, William, & Simeon Reno, Charlie Anderson & up to 6 others members during their post war period. Early in the Civil War the brothers would enlist in the Union Army in Indiana for the enlistment pay, then not show up for induction. They did this several times using various aliases. Active in Indiana, Iowa & Missouri, a lot of their early success was during the Civil War. Most of the proceeds from their robberies was never recovered.

IMG_2729.jpeg

In May 1868 the gang robbed a train in Indiana netting them $96,000 & bringing the national spotlight. They attempted another train robbery on July 9th but Pinkerton’s were ready capturing gang member Volney Elliot. Elliot gave up the names of the gang members involved & Charlie Roseberry & Theodore Clifton were captured the next day. Elliot, Roseberry, & Clifton were prisoners on a train to Seymour, Indiana when the train was stopped by vigilantes & the 3 were hung in a tree alongside the tracks. Three more gang members, Henry Jerrell, Frank Sparks, & John Moore were hung by vigilantes from the same tree after having been captured in Illinois. That tree along the tracks became known as Hangman’s Crossing.

IMG_2734.jpeg

In late July William & Simeon Reno were captured in Indianapolis & taken to the Floyd county jail @ New Albany. Frank Reno & Charlie Anderson were captured in Windsor, Ontario, & in Oct were extradited to New Albany to await trial with the others. Late on the night of Dec 11, sixty-five vigilantes broke into the jail & Frank, William & Simeon Reno, & Charlie Anderson were hung in that order. No one was ever charged in the lynchings.

ILB Frank

One of the Regulars
Reno Brothers Gang (1864 - 1868)

Brothers Frank, William, & Simeon Reno, Charlie Anderson & up to 6 others members during their post war period. Early in the Civil War the brothers would enlist in the Union Army in Indiana for the enlistment pay, then not show up for induction. They did this several times using various aliases. Active in Indiana, Iowa & Missouri, a lot of their early success was during the Civil War. Most of the proceeds from their robberies was never recovered.

View attachment 528880

In May 1868 the gang robbed a train in Indiana netting them $96,000 & bringing the national spotlight. They attempted another train robbery on July 9th but Pinkerton’s were ready capturing gang member Volney Elliot. Elliot gave up the names of the gang members involved & Charlie Roseberry & Theodore Clifton were captured the next day. Elliot, Roseberry, & Clifton were prisoners on a train to Seymour, Indiana when the train was stopped by vigilantes & the 3 were hung in a tree alongside the tracks. Three more gang members, Henry Jerrell, Frank Sparks, & John Moore were hung by vigilantes from the same tree after having been captured in Illinois. That tree along the tracks became known as Hangman’s Crossing.

View attachment 528879

In late July William & Simeon Reno were captured in Indianapolis & taken to the Floyd county jail @ New Albany. Frank Reno & Charlie Anderson were captured in Windsor, Ontario, & in Oct were extradited to New Albany to await trial with the others. Late on the night of Dec 11, sixty-five vigilantes broke into the jail & Frank, William & Simeon Reno, & Charlie Anderson were hung in that order. No one was ever charged in the lynchings.
I have crossed the railroad tracks at Hangman's Crossing in Seymour more times than I can count.

ILB Frank

One of the Regulars
Stop sometime & take a pic of the tree. Or hang your hat on the marker for a pic. I live close to where the Bonnie & Clyde shootout at the Red Crown Tavern was. In one of these threads somewhere is a pic of one of my hats hanging on the marker.
Sad fact. I don't get by there as much anymore. It's my hometown but not my current town.
Fun fact. One of my middle school teachers wrote a book (published while I was in his class) about the Reno Gang. "The Masked Halters" Edwin Boley. 1977.

Sylvanus G. “Vay” Morley (1883-1948)

American archaeologist & epigrapher who studied the pre-Colombian Maya civilization & the Mayan calendric inscriptions. His archaeological field work in Mexico & Central America during the war provided a suitable cover story for his work with the United States' Office of Naval Intelligence as a spy investigating evidence of pro-German & anti-American agitation & to look for secret German submarine bases in the region.

IMG_2888.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy