Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us their hats!

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
ea9ugixskchz.jpg

Woodtroll

One Too Many

Neat photo! I can't help but hear Michael Martin Murphy singing...

It seems I read somewhere that the car pictured was not actually a Cadillac, but a Hupmobile or some such thing; I don't remember exactly. And I believe Geronimo was technically a prisoner at that point (?). Sometimes I wish I had a better memory for useless details. ;) I'm afraid I've tried to cram too much history trivia into my pea-sized brain.

Neat photo! I can't help but hear Michael Martin Murphy singing...

It seems I read somewhere that the car pictured was not actually a Cadillac, but a Hupmobile or some such thing; I don't remember exactly. And I believe Geronimo was technically a prisoner at that point (?). Sometimes I wish I had a better memory for useless details. ;) I'm afraid I've tried to cram too much history trivia into my pea-sized brain.
Geronimo surrendered to Gen Crook & his party which included Tom Horn as a scout, in 1886. As part of his surrender he was promised that he would be detained with his other family members & other Chiricahua Apache tribe members on reservation in FL. But for the first two yrs he was detained in AL before being shipped to the reservation in FL. I don’t know much about his time in AL but perhaps BB or others here do. The car has always been identified as a Cadillac in FL as far as I know, but could be another make. Geronimo died in his late 70’s on the FL reservation in 1909.

PS: Tom Horn was convicted of murder on Oct 24th, 1902 & hung on Nov 20th, 1903. It is said that Geronimo & Horn were close friends & held much faith & trust among each other.

Last edited:

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Thanks for the fill-in information, HJ. I always enjoy the history lessons, and I certainly do not mean that in a sarcastic manner.

Here's an article about that car. It may or may not be the one I remembered seeing, and it may or may not be accurate (after all, it's on the internet ;) ). I guess an antique car expert might be able to tell for sure:

https://2ndlifemediaalamogordo.town...ongwriters, authors,a 1904 Locomobile Model C.

Thanks for the fill-in information, HJ. I always enjoy the history lessons, and I certainly do not mean that in a sarcastic manner.

Here's an article about that car. It may or may not be the one I remembered seeing, and it may or may not be accurate (after all, it's on the internet ;) ). I guess an antique car expert might be able to tell for sure:

https://2ndlifemediaalamogordo.town.news/g/alamogordo-nm/n/27235/history-geronimos-locomobile-type-c-not-really-cadillac#:~:text=Like all skilled songwriters, authors,a 1904 Locomobile Model C.
I like the colorized version of the pic. Thanks for posting the link.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
KZJ.jpg

Jessica Alba looks super stylish arriving at Roissy airport for the fashion week in Paris.

kate.jpg

Model, Kate Moss, was caught up in a flurry of snow in London wearing a grey fedora.

dvout.jpg

Denise Van Outen opted for the snug rather than stylish look in a cosy coat and black fedora hat outside the ITV Studios in London.

CZJ.jpg

Catherine Zeta Jones looks stylish at LAX Airport.

Thundercolt

One of the Regulars
Geronimo surrendered to Gen Crook & his party which included Tom Horn as a scout, in 1886. As part of his surrender he was promised that he would be detained with his other family members & other Chiricahua Apache tribe members on reservation in FL. But for the first two yrs he was detained in AL before being shipped to the reservation in FL. I don’t know much about his time in AL but perhaps BB or others here do. The car has always been identified as a Cadillac in FL as far as I know, but could be another make. Geronimo died in his late 70’s on the FL reservation in 1909.

PS: Tom Horn was convicted of murder on Oct 24th, 1902 & hung on Nov 20th, 1903. It is said that Geronimo & Horn were close friends & held much faith & trust among each other.
The photograph was taken in 1905 at the “Oklahoma’s Gala Day” exhibition hosted by the Miller brothers’ 101 Ranch, located southwest of Ponca City, Oklahoma. To gin up interest in its exhibition, the 101 Ranch paid Geronimo to appear. The 101 Ranch staged the scene in the car for the press. Geronimo was still in captivity during these years.

A song inspired by the photograph–Michael Murphy’s “Geronimo’s Cadillac” is sung to Geronimo’s jailer, imploring him to free the imprisoned Apache leader. It laments how the United States stole Geronimo’s way of life, “Ripped off the feathers from his uniform.”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner