Show us their hats!

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Matt Deckard, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Willard Duncan Vandiver (1854-1932) was a Democratic member of the United States House of Representatives from the state of Missouri. He is popularly credited with the authorship of the famous expression: "I'm from Missouri, you've got to show me," which led to the state's famous nickname: "The Show Me State".

[​IMG]

2. To better see the hat:

IMG_7536.PNG

3. I thought this fun....copyright 1904 postmarked 1907..... IMG_20200127_141658.jpg

4. Charcoal portrait of CSA General John Hunt Morgan, (June 1, 1825, Huntsville, Alabama - September 4, 1864, Greeneville, Tennessee), Confederate guerrilla leader of “Morgan’s Raiders,” best known for his July 1863 attacks in Indiana and Ohio.

General John Hunt Morgan
    IMG_7534.JPG

Morgan & staff in a northern jail
    IMG_7532.JPG

The men of Morgan's Raiders
    IMG_7533.JPG

5. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

I enjoy charcoal as well as any artist’s media and that’s a great example. I haven’t thought of the General in some time. Thanks for the post. I thought you might enjoy this.
    652CB4BB-0DEB-4064-954B-C4A666010785.jpeg

Morgan – Neal Home: 558 Franklin St., Huntsville. Built in 1822, this home was the birthplace of Confederate General John Hunt Morgan, famous Confederate Calvary Leader known as the “Rebel Raider”.

In 1857, an Italianate facade and tower were added to this 1825 Federal house. George Neal, son of Madison County’s first sheriff, Stephen Neal, purchased the house in 1850 and brought a landscape artist from England to plan the garden and the shrubbery. The home remained in the Neal family until 1949. The house still stands on Franklin Street in the Twickenham Historic District. (A walking Tour of Huntsville, Alabama)

The house today.
    EA9E359F-E1C3-44B6-80A5-5669D534CE6F.jpeg

6. Still a private residence? There are still several antebellum homes that predate the Civil War around here that are still private residences that are never open to the public. One is still in the original family I believe. We occasionally get a close up glimpse when they have been used in movies such as "Ride..." & others.

Zombie_61 and Bamaboots like this.
  7. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

Yes, it’s in the Twickenham histrionical district amongst many other similar homes. Very close to the downtown area and not far from the Maple Hill Cemetery I’ve mentioned before. Walking tours are done in the area and it’s a cool area to visit during the Christmas holidays.

Hurricane Jack and Zombie_61 like this.
  8. John Coffee "Jack" Hays (1817 – 1883) was appointed to the Texas Rangers at the age of just 19 by Sam Houston. Hays would lead the campaign against the Comanche Indians, & later the invasion from Mexico in 1842 followed by the Mexican-American War of 1846-1848. He would later serve as US Indian Agent for New Mexico & Arizona, & first elected Sheriff of San Francisco county, CA.

Front row, center
    IMG_7550.JPG

IMG_7551.JPG

IMG_7552.JPG

IMG_7548.JPG

And his Colt Walker with matching serial numbers & engraved blackstrap at auction.

IMG_7517.JPG

IMG_7514.JPG

IMG_7515.JPG

IMG_7516.JPG

IMG_7518.JPG

IMG_7519.JPG

9. Great looking pistola.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  10. His Colt Paterson survives too & is in a private collection.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  11. Who got the first model Dragoon pictured?

Zombie_61 likes this.
  12. Circa 1900 photo postcard.......
    Sign reads:
    Gents Furnishing Store
    Shoes & Hats
    Mart Morris MGR.
    Mart sure is a different name.....Note also on the right: "The Celebrated Stetson Hat";)
    I actually scanned this one to capture all the detail.......
    2020-01-31_103515.jpg
    Close up of the sign..... 2020-01-31_103515 crop.jpg

13. Buyers are never disclosed (but he may live in Wichita).

Zombie_61 and M Hatman like this.
  14. Copyright 1908 photo postcard.....not a Man's hat but a Woman's.....and BOY, what a hat!~!!! A "Merry Widow's Hat"!!!!!!
    Card was filled out and addressed but apparently never mailed....
    1908 Merry Widow.jpg

15. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Sister Bertrille, call your office.

Zombie_61 and M Hatman like this.
  16. YES....I would bet money it does make her fly!!!!!!

Zombie_61 and Frunobulax like this.
  17. RBH

RBH Bartender

William "Hopalong Cassidy" Boyd and his wife, Grace Bradley.

[​IMG]

18. She's the definition of "stunning blonde".

19. Desert dog

Desert dog My Mail is Forwarded Here

No wonder Hoppy had a smile on his face!

20. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Attached Files: