Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us their hats!

I've posted this picture before. Here is a little more on Dan's background.

On December 10th, 1928, DAN BLOCKER was born in DeKalb, Texas. When he was six years old the family moved to O'Donnell, in Lynn County, where his father operated a general store. DAN BLOCKER attended Texas Military Institute in San Antonio and Hardin-Simmons University before entering SUL ROSS STATE TEACHERS COLLEGE here in Alpine in 1947. After playing football for the college and graduating with a B.A. degree in speech and drama, he refused offers of professional careers in both football and boxing. He was drafted for combat duty in Korea, where he served as an infantry sergeant. In 1952 he returned to SUL ROSS, where he earned an M.A. degree, and then taught school in Sonora, Texas, and Carlsbad, New Mexico, before moving to California in 1956 to work on a Ph.D. degree at the University of California at Los Angeles. During this time he also worked as a substitute teacher and began his career as a professional actor in Los Angeles. He played the role of Hoss Cartwright for thirteen seasons, from 1959 until his death in 1972 from complications following an operation, on NBC's "Bonanza," one of the longest-running and most popular TV series in history.

View attachment 289485

And his boy, Dirk.

Dirk.jpg

Joseph Beuys (12 May 1921 – 23 January 1986) was a German happening and performance artist as well as a painter, sculptor, medallist, installation artist, graphic artist, art theorist, and pedagogue. In pictures he is almost always seen wearing a hat. Sometimes he even worked in/with felt.

Joseph-Beuys_FlashArt.jpg
cappello di feltro.jpg

Joseph-Beuys-Portrait-of-the-artist-by-Robert-Lebeck-1978.jpg

He owned a second home in a small village in the Netherlands, where he could stay completely anonymous.
As a pedagogue, carrying an axe would likely convince students to do their homework!:)

Samuel B. Arnold (1834 - 1906)

IMG_2368.JPG

Classmate of John Wilkes Booth whom Booth recruited in the kidnapping attempt of President Abraham Lincoln, which twice failed. Arnold than left to take a job in VA where witnesses said he was at the time of the assassination. Nevertheless Arnold was arrested on complicity. After conviction he was sentenced along with Dr. Samuel Mudd, Michael O'Laughlen & Edmund Spangler to Life in prison. Arnold, Mudd & Spangler were released by pardon of President Andrew Johnson in 1869. O'Laughlen had died while in prison.

IMG_2366.jpg

Samuel B. Arnold returned home to Baltimore where he lived out his life very quietly. He did reminisce with a return to the Ft. Jefferson prison in 1898, & wrote a short series of articles for the Baltimore American in 1902, about his imprisonment. If interested, those articles today are at the Baltimore County Historical Society website.

IMG_2370.JPG

His grave is anonymous as to who he actually was.

IMG_2729.JPG

There is only one more gun I want to own and it is a side by side double barrel shotgun. As soon as this pandemic is in the rearview I am gonna get me one!

Don’t leave me hanging: what are you looking at? AyA, Purdey, H&H, LC Smith, Parker Bros.? I have a few, but they are either old and worn out or lower end. I’ve been thinking about a nice one for years. My financial realties keep me away from the UK makers, but AyA in Spain has my attention: a vacation for my wife along with a custom fitting for me. Probably just a dream, but it’s a nice dream. :)

On Oct 23, 1912 Teddy Roosevelt survived being shot in an assassination attempt on his life. He was running his third presidential campaign as an independent with the Bull Moose Party. Only some papers & the case for his glasses in his chest pocket saved the wound from being worse. This pic was taken during that campaign & around that time.

IMG_2864.GIF

Unbeknownst to him his friends had already ordered a custom engraved Colt Single Action Army revolver & presented it to Roosevelt on his 54th Birthday, just 4 days after the assassination attempt.

IMG_2859.JPG

Remembering the recent assassination of President McKinley in 1901, & the attempt on his own life it is said that Roosevelt always carried a handgun for his own protection from that day on.

IMG_2863.JPG

That well worn Colt SAA just sold at auction in Dec 2020 for $1.4M!

On Oct 23, 1912 Teddy Roosevelt survived being shot in an assassination attempt on his life. He was running his third presidential campaign as an independent with the Bull Moose Party. Only some papers & the case for his glasses in his chest pocket saved the wound from being worse. This pic was taken during that campaign & around that time.

View attachment 298361

Unbeknownst to him his friends had already ordered a custom engraved Colt Single Action Army revolver & presented it to Roosevelt on his 54th Birthday, just 4 days after the assassination attempt.

View attachment 298359

Remembering the recent assassination of President McKinley in 1901, & the attempt on his own life it is said that Roosevelt always carried a handgun for his own protection from that day on.

View attachment 298360

That well worn Colt SAA just sold at auction in Dec 2020 for $1.4M!
That's a beautiful piece.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21