Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us their hats!

John R. "Jack" Abernathy (1876 - 1941)

Abernathy was known as the "wolf catcher" & it is said that in his lifetime he caught hundreds of wolves alive. In this pic taken near Frederick, OK in April 1905 on a hunt with Teddy Roosevelt, Abernathy is holding a live coyote by the snout. Thise with Abernathy & Roosevelt are identified as Lee Bivins & S. Bur.

IMG_3290.jpg

Abernathy was the last US Deputy Marshal in Oklahoma Territory, serving from 1906 to 1910, & voted into the Oklahoma Hall of Fame in 1944.

IMG_3289.JPG

IMG_3287.JPG

IMG_3288.JPG

Woodtroll

One Too Many
You mean Briscoe Darling? Like Ricky Skaggs said, a man before his time!

"If you got time to breathe, you got time for music." Briscoe Darling

View attachment 304562

Haha! Briscoe Darling never got too excited. He was one of my earliest heroes in my youth. My mother was not real pleased about that, but when I asked her if she'd rather I be more like Ernest T. Bass, she softened a little. :D

"That's mighty fine juggin', Mr. Darling."
"I can get banjo sounds, guitar sounds, any sound I want out of it." ;)

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Haha! Briscoe Darling never got too excited. He was one of my earliest heroes in my youth. My mother was not real pleased about that, but when I asked her if she'd rather I be more like Ernest T. Bass, she softened a little. :D

"That's mighty fine juggin', Mr. Darling."
"I can get banjo sounds, guitar sounds, any sound I want out of it." ;)
I was always pleased to hear the darlings, or should I say the Dillard's, a smoking Missouri bluegrass band!

Woodtroll

One Too Many
I was always pleased to hear the darlings, or should I say the Dillard's, a smoking Missouri bluegrass band!

Yes, they surely played well. I have a couple of their "Greatest Hits" type albums. It's my understanding that the actress who played Charlene on the show would sometimes sing with them at their actual concerts - she had a fine voice too.

To keep the thread honest, here's Miss Charlene in a hat...

upload_2021-1-26_21-3-27.jpeg

Yes, they surely played well. I have a couple of their "Greatest Hits" type albums. It's my understanding that the actress who played Charlene on the show would sometimes sing with them at their actual concerts - she had a fine voice too.

To keep the thread honest, here's Miss Charlene in a hat...

View attachment 304567
And, of course, Dud Wash on the right before he changed his name to Willie Gilligan, moved to Hawaii, and traded in his Filson for a sailor's cap to work on a charter boat.

Posing on the left is said to be John Henry "Doc" Holliday. Positively identified on the right is Sherman McMasters. No one knows for sure just when & how McMasters died. One of Wyatt Earp's riders claimed that McMasters was killed during the vendetta with Clanton's cowboy faction. Earp told/wrote in some of his later doings that McMasters was killed in the Philippines leading up to the Spanish-American War. In 1902 McMasters sisters filed probate papers in Colorado claiming he had died but details are unknown.

IMG_3260.JPG

IMG_3350.PNG

And the prize for the coolest fur hat ever goes to...
August von Mackensen, fieldmarshal in WWI for Germany. The hat belongs to the regiment of the Leibhusaren or rather the Braunschweigisches Husaren-Regiment Nr. 17.
august von mackensen.jpg

Here's a colorized picture of him. Very interesting fellow and not someone you'd want to mess with; he was not cosplaying!

von mackensen3.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana