Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us their hats!

These boys have a story to tell, Photo postcard Circa 1930.
Did have to enhance it some.....to bring out better detail.

Five.jpg

Joseph Rutherford Walker (1798 – 1876)

“Mountain Man” Joseph R. Walker forged portions of the Santa Fe trail in 1820. In June 1827 Walker returned to Independence, MO to become the first Sheriff of Jackson county after being appointed by Governor John Miller. Walker served as Sheriff for two terms & then refused re-election to continue fur trapping, exploring & forging trails west.

IMG_0072.JPG

In 1834 Walker lead a party across the southern Sierra & that trail would later be known as “Walker’s Pass.” The Walker River & Walker Lake in Nevada were later named for him. Walker went on to explore the west for the remainder of his life & on October 27th, 1876, he died & was buried in Martinez, CA.

IMG_0068.JPG

IMG_0073.JPG

"Bess Truman" A 1901 photo of Elizabeth Wallace (left) and her friend Mary Paxton. They are wearing high menswear collars and large lapels. Mary Paxton became the first woman to graduate the University of Missouri School of Journalism and later worked as a reporter and educator. Elizabeth Wallace married Harry S. Truman, who would become the 33rd president of the United States. Photo by Grinter Studio. Restoration by Longview HD. Courtesy of the Missouri State Archives.

1652109499111.png

James J. "Jim Crow" Chiles (1833 – 1873) & James Harrison Chiles ( known as Harrison, 1838 - 1901) were uncles to Harry S. Truman. The Chiles family was famous in these parts. It is said that Harry Truman was named after his Uncle Harrison. But he was fascinated with family stories of Jim Crow Chiles who had been killed before Harry's birth. Jim Crow Chiles had rode under
Quantrill & the command of William "Bloody Bill" Anderson during the Civil War. As a young man Truman would attend several Quantrill Reunions to learn more about his uncle.

IMG_0117.JPG

IMG_0118.JPG

The fictional character of Pitt Mackeson as played by the actor Jonathan Rhys Meyers in the movie Ride With The Devil is based on the exploits of Jim Crow Chiles & those of Archie "Little Arch" Clement (1846 - 1866).

IMG_0125.JPG

IMG_0126.JPG

IMG_0119.JPG

IMG_0121.JPG

IMG_0120.JPG

IMG_0122.JPG

IMG_0123.JPG

Pictured with Frank James shortly after the end of the war, & before Clement was gunned down in a bar in Lexington, MO. After clearing all his legal troubles Frank James in an interview in ~1900 would say that Arch Clement was probably the best friend he ever had. At the time of the interview Cole Younger was still in prison.

ILB Frank

One of the Regulars
Really? There are a lot of thin ribbon fedoras with most of them being similar to the Stetson Open Road or Stratoliner. The thin ribbon fedora Had been around a long time and is still popular today. It’s a great look that is more sporty or country than its wide ribbon brothers.
Really. I am not (yet) a hat aficionado/maven/expert. I always liked hats in general ("cowboy" western hats and "Indy" fedora hats in particular). Long story short: The fedoras I have always noticed had a bigger ribbon so, to newbs like me, the thin ribbon fedora is a new lesson learned.

Really. I am not (yet) a hat aficionado/maven/expert. I always liked hats in general ("cowboy" western hats and "Indy" fedora hats in particular). Long story short: The fedoras I have always noticed had a bigger ribbon so, to newbs like me, the thin ribbon fedora is a new lesson learned.

We are all learning. This place makes me feel stupid at least twice a day. I hope my surprise didn’t come across as rudeness.

For fedoras, the wider ribbons are usually found on more formal dress hats. Then there is the mid ribbon (around one-inch wide) that’s a sporty width. The thin ribbon (most commonly 3/8 inch wide) is found on western dress hats or city-come-county hat that’s. There are also all sorts of exceptions where wide ribbons are on outdoorsy hats etc.

The style rules come from a time when they were more important. If billionaire CEOs wear hoodies and sandals to the office we can wear brown shoes in the city and a thin ribbon fedora with a city suit. Heck, there are those who wear homburgs with tee-shirts and look great doing it. If you find a nice thin ribbon fedora don’t be afraid to jump on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko