Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us their suits

Patrick Hall

Practically Family
Thanks Metatron. What is going on with the pattern of the spearpoint shirt in the second pic?? it looks like horizontal on vertical stripes. Awesome.

Mathematicus

A-List Customer
I know this was one of the most hideous men in history, but... very good looking suit.
goebbels.jpg

Mathematicus

A-List Customer
A timeless movie: And Then There Were None, directed by René Clair in 1945. I'm quoting this because it brought menswear to my attention.
Barry Fitzgerald:
hqdefault.jpg
A shot of many characters.
image.jpg
Louis Hayward's Hollywood drape:
And_Then_There_Were_None3.JPG
Detail of Hayward's armhole:
hqdefault.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Bond of Fear (1956) flecked wool sports jackets
fifties%2Bcasual%2B4.jpg

fifties%2Bcasual.jpg

That is pretty much an average outfit for me on a day-to-day basis. Mind you, it was pretty much the standard casual look, with minor variations, for all British men between 1925 and 1955. Nice and simple.

Patrick Hall

Practically Family
I like the slit pocket + ticket pocket look. I know slit pockets are technically dressier, but it's SO functional to just be able to jam your hands into your jacket pockets without contending with a flap. Great for a casual jacket.

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Here's an example of the very low buttoning 1940s double breasted suit. this one - worn by James Mason in 'They Were Sisters' - buttons at a level below the line of the pockets:
11129897_1471907003034254_3667482175396967938_n.jpg

Carlos Gardel
Note the short-waisted, double-breasted vest that was favored by the tango legend.

CarlosGardel_zps8dhyqyy9.jpg

A rare full length view of Gardel wearing the suit seen in the iconic Jose Silva photos.

CarlosGardel2_zpsumt0eqza.jpg

Gardel.png

Last edited:

Metatron

One Too Many
Thanks for posting those photos! nice suit in the first shot.

I haven't posted much here lately, so here is a collection of shots:

The Testament of Dr Mabuse
(Fritz Lang)

Being that it is early 1930s, there are still some slimmer trousers to be seen.

The main character in his poor days, probably with a 1920s jacket:

Later with a modern suit (early 30s). Rather classic.

Last edited:

Metatron

One Too Many
Lost horizon
(Frank Capra, featuring Ronald Colman):

Two of the main characters wear these 'safari' shirts, with apparently cavalry twill flat fronted trousers. Topped off with a sport coat.
stylish expedition wear!

Gabardine sports jacket with military pockets:

And a swing belt back with a long central vent:

Last edited:

Mario

I'll Lock Up
The Cairo/Igoe Gang

This photo was taken in Dublin, supposedly around 1919/20, and allegedly shows the so-called Cairo Gang, a group of British intelligence officers that was based in Dublin and whose task it was to identify, hunt down and kill alleged IRA members during the Irish War of Independence - a job at which they were obviously pretty good - to a point. Turning the tide, Michael Collins' "Squad" managed to wipe out a substantial number of British intelligence operatives including most known members of the the Cairo Gang (so called because they used to hang out at the Cairo Cafe at 59 Grafton Street, Dublin) in what would turn out to be one of the most devestating blows to the British occupation forces in Ireland, on 21 November 1920, a day that would become known as Bloody Sunday (Black and Tans and Auxiliaries later that day retaliated by opening fire at a crowd of civilian spectators watching a Gaelic football match at Dublin's Croke Park, killing fourteen, including one player of the Tipperary team). It has been argued that the photo doesn't actually show the Cairo Gang but its successors, the Igoe Gang, another group of intelligence officers (led by Eugene Igoe, an Irish-born Catholic from Mayo) that attempted to replace the Cairo Gang after the events of Bloody Sunday.

So much about the rather grisly story of the photo. Now take a look at the guys (especially that all-dominating figure at the center of the photo)...

Cairo_Gang.jpg

Maybe I should have posted this photo over at the Cap Faction and/or the 1920s Suits thread rather than here?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21