Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your British suits

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Zipped fly on British suits wasn't unknown in the late 1940s. I saw a double breasted suit a year or so back in a vintage shop in London - I looked at it and immediately said 'American'. It had zip fly and outward facing pleats on the trousers. Then I looked inside the pocket and found a label dating it to a tailors shop in the North London suburbs in the late 1940s. I guess some lad had seen American suits and thought 'they look cool!' and got his tailor to run up a suit in that style.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
I am glad it's encouaging debate, I've put turnups/cuffs on the trousers as there was around 5" turned under,also put on brace buttons and they fit and sit just fine..... pretty sure the jacket has had it's sleeves shortened at some point too.

Chrome

One of the Regulars
Here is my another British suit. Again nothing new as stylewise, even got that Paris waistcoat buckle. Can anybody tell about maker?
Leachs1_zpsa7e85a06.jpg

Leachs2_zps357eb1d3.jpg

Leachs3_zpse7f50631.jpg

Leachs4_zps2e817196.jpg

Leachs5_zpsae0b1d1c.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Lovely suit!

I have never heard of the tailor but Plaistow isn't the nicest part of London, so i would expect this to be a typical suburban tailor, making suits for the average working class/middle class man - the type opf tailors that used to be in every High Street.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
i haven't heard of Leach's either, but as TT says, there were loads of high street tailors in the 30s-40s who would have no real 'name' to speak of but who would have made decent clothing.
i like the fact that it has side adjusters... these seem to be much rarer on 40s Burtons (and other big brand) trousers.

Last edited:

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
T2eC16NzEE9s3WpB7BRN0izJqI60_57_zpsd7a6df40.jpg

T2eC16Ry0E9s2S6cvTBRN0hiK1Fw60_57_zps0a0fa7f9.jpg

KGrHqNq0FEI1kZSbSBRN0hvlYg60_57_zpsd9ab60e0.jpg

KGrHqVhkFDyHT6WZYBRN0hj25g60_57_zps61e247be.jpg

KGrHqVHJEwFEokinDBRNLPvfsg60_57_zpsd65dcceb.jpg

T2eC16ZzEE9s3YbwKBRN0hzCC1w60_57_zps887d9c40.jpg

T2eC16VHJGIE9nnWqrq0BRNLOHrTZ60_57_zpse04663fe.jpg

T2eC16JHJHEE9ny2p6fJBRNLOEH1Yw60_57_zps0a6d26a4.jpg

not mine, but wish it was.

that's alpaca lining in the body, the type i mentioned in the 20s suits thread; not remotely glossy, quite a 'hard' firm finish.
the sleeve lining appears to be similar type to that in Rudie's recent Brit suit. matt fabric in sleeves doesn't make much sense either but was common
in vinBrit (new word) tailoring. i think it's actually waistband lining fabric (you can see it in the trousers) - which should be matt so your trousers
don't slide down - used as sleeve lining because they had run out of slippery sleeve lining. just a guess.

Last edited:

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
That kind of matt lining fabric can also be found on German suits... might have been a way to cut costs. Not to forget it was quite common (much to the chagrin of tailors) for costumers to provide fabric and also lining bought elsewhere.

Barmey

One of the Regulars
The stripped matt cloth is a probably a type of cotton silesia. Stipped silesia was very common in suits of this period, very hard wearing and cheaper than the bemberg sleeve linings. There are still one or two Italian trimmers that still make it but it's rare to see it used nowdays.

I have a bit of a sleeve lining fetish.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
that's just the way it is. ;)

i'm not really a fan of Glenurquhart-type checks, but i like this one as it's less contrasty than the more standard black and white (which can give 'eye jazz') and the brown and red give it a warmer mood.

We're two peoples separated by a common language (and button count ;) )

I definitely get what you mean about checks (the intricacies of which specific shire/glen/country/borough/loch/isle individual patterns originate from continues to confuse me, not matter how many times it's explained). In practice they can be a nightmare to match with anything.

The Rag And Bone Man

One of the Regulars
Here is a really nice 3 piece bespoke wool DB suit made by Jones Chalk & Dawson LTD, of Sackville St Piccadilly London. My brother who is visiting me here in Oz brought it out as a present. It a quite a heavy weight suit, with a great fabric. another suit.jpg suit.jpg pants 2.jpg suits of mine.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy