Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your British suits

The Rag And Bone Man

One of the Regulars
A few more pictures of it fabric.jpg pants.jpg suits back.jpg suit pockets.jpg suit label.jpg

Anyone have any idea why these 1940s British sports jackets are so rare to find? I seem to recall seeing them mentioned quite a bit in catalogues and tailoring magazines, possibly as a slightly cheaper alternative to Harris Tweed. This one is cut just like a Harris Tweed jacket I have that's dated 1943. This is made of very heavy wide-wale corduroy. I can see why the seller thought it was from the 1970s!

britishcorduroyjacket1.jpg

britishcorduroyjacket6.jpg

More Here.

Anyone have any idea why these 1940s British sports jackets are so rare to find? I seem to recall seeing them mentioned quite a bit in catalogues and tailoring magazines, possibly as a slightly cheaper alternative to Harris Tweed. This one is cut just like a Harris Tweed jacket I have that's dated 1943. This is made of very heavy wide-wale corduroy. I can see why the seller thought it was from the 1970s!

britishcorduroyjacket1.jpg

britishcorduroyjacket6.jpg

More Here.
to the best of my knowledge most of them were recalled to aid the war effort and made into parachutes
VM

Metatron

One Too Many
You don't see much pre-1950s corduroy outside of workwear. At least I haven't: on ebay, in catalogue scans and here in the Fedora Lounge. Do you have any catalogue scans of 1940s cord sports coats Baron?

mimesis2nemesis

One of the Regulars
Would make sense if Curdoroy was cheaper than Harris tweed, since I am under the Impression It's made out primarily of cotton, instead of wool... and it looks in incredible shape, specially considering its long age. BTW, I'm not sure about parachutes, but wasn't corduroy also used to make linings for some military jackets?

Last edited:
I'm afraid I was misremembering some "velvet corduroy" slacks from a 1938 Dunlop catalogue. I have no reference for these, oher than what I might have read sometime in a tailoring magazine. can't be certain, though. I might just be misremembering it all. no doubt on the age of this one, though.

You don't see much pre-1950s corduroy outside of workwear. At least I haven't: on ebay, in catalogue scans and here in the Fedora Lounge. Do you have any catalogue scans of 1940s cord sports coats Baron?

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I'm not normally a fan of chalkstripes however this is quite appealling simply because of the shade of blue.

The trousers look very wide.

Does it have any makers name/label?

GBR

One of the Regulars
Sadly the trousers look as if they have been taken in rather too much - badly.

Two back pockets is unusual for that date.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy