Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your British suits

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Isle of Man (mid?) 30s:

Isle_of_Man_01_zpsc562cf17.jpg

Isle_of_Man_02_zpsac882d21.jpg

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
HBK this round of photos is really great!

This 1930s British/European/university/sporty/country look (yes I just made that up) is really what I've settled into as my preferred style. Its funny because when I got bitten by the vintage style bug 4-5 years ago it was 1950s stuff.

Cobden

Practically Family
Okay...I've been trying to work it out for ages (Oxford resident)...but does it say which college it is?

EDIT: Worked it out - it must be Merton

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
A great look, one that stood the test of time and lasted from the mid 1920s to the mid 1950s. Thus a very versatile look to emulate. For me, the only concern would be falling into the posh public school boy look. That's dangerous territory!

Metatron

One Too Many
A great look, one that stood the test of time and lasted from the mid 1920s to the mid 1950s. Thus a very versatile look to emulate. For me, the only concern would be falling into the posh public school boy look. That's dangerous territory!

Hm, good point! Do you think it is more about specific combinations of clothing or how one carries himself when sporting the look?

for me, the danger with tweeds, flannels and knitwear is straying into 'dowdy' rather than 'stylish' territory. i think some of the chaps pictured above are already there.

Also a good point. Again, what does one do to avoid it in your opinion?
I feel confident in the way I dress, but I always try to be critical of it at the same time.
I think I have been 'guilty' of looking dowdy at times, especially as I am in my mid twenties.
Normal people my age generally wear tweed jackets with slim chinos or jeans. I think it can look good, though my faith in the fedora lounge aesthetic has kept me away from trying that.

Last edited:

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Also a good point. Again, what does one do to avoid it in your opinion?

well, a lot of women won't wear a 1940s style because they think it will make them look 'frumpy' and 'like their mother'. i'm sure you can imagine the sort of thing.

it's trickier to define for men because we have so little choice of what to wear to start with, and we probably all own tweed jackets, flannels and v-neck sweaters.
the difference between them looking 'stylish' and 'dowdy' might simply be what condition they're in... are the trousers saggy at the knee ? has the jacket been over worn and started to look shapeless ?
or it could be that the fabrics are simply a bit boring, that the cut isn't flattering, or that the whole outfit says 'comfort' rather than 'style'.

as i say, it's a tricky to define line. i don't want to name any classic male 'dowdy' items because i'll almost certainly upset someone. oh, ok then... tattersall shirts. ;)

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I certainly fell into that dowdy trap at times in the past: country colours, tweed jackets, plain knitted tie, moleskins. I recall turning up to a launch party for a photography book and looking totally out of place (the book was about the 1976/77 punk scene in the UK, filled with the good, bad and ugly from that scene). I was probably the youngest person there but looked the oldest! I suppose at least i wasn't trying to still look like a 20 year old.
But these days I avoid the country farmer look.

As for the retro student look: yes, it's good but it always makes me think of the types who turn up at 'Chap Magazine' events, all 'what ho'ing and that jolly hockey sticks old b***cks. Public school scarves and so on. As BK put it: "Gustav Temple unleashed a monster!.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Interesting thoughts... I think an easy way to avoid an overly "dowdy" look is to include at least one rather "flashy" element (shirt, tie, handkerchief, collar bar) or something more "rustic"/workwearish (zipped jacket or leather jacket).

I personally don't mind the "dowdy" look that much... it's only really bad when resulting from uninspiring 1970-90's Tweeds (olive... blech!) and modern shirts and trousers.
Wide 1930's flannel slacks paired with a woolen sportcoat (possibly with fancy weave, sportive details or peak lapel) won't look dowdy at all IMO.

Just avoid any explicitly "school specific" accessoires... though this certainly is more a problem in Britain.

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Easy. You need a really sharp haircut. Short back and sides and a clean shaven face. There are days when I can't wear certain outfits because the hair touches my ears and shirt collar. Shocking, I know!

Ok, clothes that are too big also look dowdy and I agree that too much olive/green doesn't work for me either. Single pieces in this color are OK though.

Metatron

One Too Many
Some good advice here, thankfully some things I already had the 'instinct' to avoid, like tattersal shirts and olive tweeds. Although I'm sure either can look good used sparingly.

Hal

Practically Family
A great look, one that stood the test of time and lasted from the mid 1920s to the mid 1950s.
And indeed, in a somewhat attenuated way, into the mid 1960s.
For me, the only concern would be falling into the posh public school boy look. That's dangerous territory!
Hm, good point! Do you think it is more about specific combinations of clothing or how one carries himself when sporting the look?
I think it's more about how one carries oneself - the manner that used to be called "effortless superiority". It's possible to be too keen to avoid certain excellent items of clothing because of their association with a group one dislikes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy