Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your British suits

Hal

Practically Family
for me, the danger with tweeds, flannels and knitwear is straying into 'dowdy' rather than 'stylish' territory.
I think I have been 'guilty' of looking dowdy at times, especially as I am in my mid twenties.
I personally don't mind the "dowdy" look that much... it's only really bad when resulting from uninspiring 1970-90's Tweeds (olive... blech!) and modern shirts and trousers.
But do you see a difference between "looking dowdy" and having a subdued rather than a flamboyant taste?

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Easy. You need a really sharp haircut. Short back and sides and a clean shaven face.

. . . Wide 1930's flannel slacks paired with a woolen sportcoat (possibly with fancy weave, sportive details or peak lapel) won't look dowdy at all IMO . . .

Exactly. Add to that a nipped waist jacket and good pair of non-clunky shoes, and no one is going to mistake you for dowdy.

Metatron

One Too Many
sounds like i picked the wrong month to make an olive suit. ;)

I think the more subdued the colour, the more it lends itself to complex/interesting designs.

But do you see a difference between "looking dowdy" and having a subdued rather than a flamboyant taste?

It's a subtle one for sure. I see many well dressed older retired men for example, but also many who wear this sort of
beige/light grey/light blue colour combination that is definitely dowdy.

Dowdy is the word of the month. The previous one was 'insouciance'
Another busy evening of deconstructing style. :ranger:

Last edited:

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Hal said:
Certainly. The condition, fit and harmony of clothing are factors separating the dowdy from the subtle.

As I said before, to me personally, "Golden era" clothing, even if somewhat "worn off" or "mismatched" will very seldomly look "dowdy".
It's newer stuff (1970's and later) that to me often enters into this territory.

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
To people with a modern taste it may be different. If they say high waisted trousers are dowdy we can't do anything about it. But we don't really need to worry about it either. It's impossible to please everyone. It's not our aim to be hip and fashionable (which for some may be the opposite of dowdy...except if it is ironic.)

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up

yes, subdued or subtle are different from dowdy. dowdy suggests a certain amount of unflatteringness... the clothes "aren't doing anything for you".
subdued could be flattering and tasteful, but might run the risk of being boring. again, a difficult line to define, and one that gets into the area of subjective taste.

I quite like subdued and subtle as I think probably most people around here do.

I think all these things we have each our own feelings and definitions, and hbk sums it up above.

IMO the dowdiest group, in general, are re-enactors. Ill-fitting garments (uniforms included) in which too often people look uncomfortable and self-conscious, in colours or cuts that don't flatter the wearer, too large or too small hats, etc. The worst thing for any look - vintage, hipster or otherwise - is to look like you're trying too hard and not liking it. For the vintage scene, this too often turns out to be playing a role in dowdy in tweeds and corduroy: Old man before his time, and self-conscious about it.

Mr. Purple

New in Town
A demob suit I bought from an eBay seller a while ago.
1940sBrownDemobPeakLapelSuit1.jpg

1940sBrownDemobPeakLapelSuit5.jpg

Mr. Purple

New in Town
I'd like to see close up photos of the fabric and details etc on that suit.
I realize I have to try and take some more (decent) photos. This one is from the eBay listing (the best of some really bad photos!) - quite an interesting fabric I think. There's a tag inside one pocket saying "Welsh & Jefferies Ltd. 15 Duke Street, St. James's S.W." and then, hand written: "C. J. Cunningham Esq, April 1939".
1939 Brown White Peak Lepel 3-piece Tweed Suit Welsh & Jefferies 4 - Copy.JPG

Mr. Purple

New in Town
You total b***** you outbid me on that!;)

That was an awful listing, wasn't it? Sorry for pushing it up so high.

Apparently I did! I can only compliment you for your excellent taste, Baron, and hang my head in shame... ;)
No need for apologies! It should probably go the other way around.:eek:
It is something out of the ordinary. I suppose one can only be thankful that some sellers are even worse than me when it comes to photo quality, or I suspect the price would have gone up even higher.

Last edited by a moderator:

1940sFreddie

Familiar Face
Thought id start adding a few of my suits on here. Nearly all of my suits are 30s 40s British. I'm not that good at photographing them though, so I hope i do my suits justice.

This Is a 1942 herringbone three piece in lovely brown tones. Very similar colour to the cc41 suit sold recently on ebay.

image_zps488b0e95.jpg

image_zps7754ef27.jpg

image_zpsd137ae6f.jpg

image_zps56006e65.jpg

Freddie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy