Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your British suits

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes. I think so too. The angle seems different.

It's more important to me that it is nipped at the waist and Fastuni said it is. The reason why I usually don't like 50s suits is they are too shapeless and wide.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Note the lapels on the photo of the jacket lying flat. IMO they are indeed a bit shorter than on the screen grabs. Otherwise they are quite similar.
I think the actor's coat is for a taller, slender person - hence the slightly elongated cut.

I hope we will see some photos of Floey with this coat... his photos tend to be better than mine. ;)

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Yes. I don't normally like db suits.
Me neither, maybe it's because Prince Charles always seems to be photographed in one. He has a gift for making anything look, well, dull.
Here's my 1940's, made to measure S/B suit, made for me by Rob Crossley.

Have to admit though, that having come across this old photo of me with my parents in The Portobello Market circa 1948.

That it might be nostalgia for the period, or it might be remembering happy days, but I have just ordered a new, made to measure suit, from Rob, in the style that my Dad is wearing.
The suit will be in a light grey/silver, with a single pin stripe. It will be worn with Ox-blood & ivory correspondant shoes, and a silvery grey hat, the style of which, I have yet to decide. I'll probably match it up with a spearpoint shirt from Darcy and wear one of my art deco neck ties with it. I'm wondering if a period overcoat would go well with it too. Next month, when I am at HepCats, I might just visit Goddards of Kings Lynn.

Cunarder

New in Town
My first post on the FL which I'm thoroughly enjoying. The depth and breadth of knowledge of some members is awe-inspiring! I thought to kick off I'd show you a new suit and jacket from eBay, about which I'd welcome some information and advice:

A DB grey wool suit in a lovely soft wool by Ernest A Webb, Uttoxeter, undated. The jacket is slightly too short in the sleeve for me so I'm thinking of having the sleeves let down by an inch if there is enough to squeeze that out of them. What date d'you think please, Ladies and Gentlemen?

Cunarder

New in Town
A navy DB blazer by C F Johns & Pegg, W1, dated 1946. The buttons are extremely shiny and appear to be new replacements to me, and they don't look symmetrically aligned. Should I try to replace them, and if so, with what?

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
@TT
I have a British Hepsworth blue-grey suit dated 1948, which has a matching belt.
As Qirrel indicates, they existed much earlier though.

---

Here also my most recent arrival:

A CC41 suit dated 27. April 1950. Deadstock... quite interesting to wear an "old" suit, that is brand new.
Fits like a glove... and even the legs are long enough.

SAM_6455.jpg

SAM_6457.jpg

SAM_6458.jpg

SAM_6459.jpg

SAM_6460.jpg

1-19.jpg

Last edited:

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Thanks. Fished it out of the British bay!
Seller had also a 2-button SB in navy with white pinstripes... but I have already several navy pinstripe suits and not a single grey.

HBK that fabric is great - not too often one sees yellow on suitings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari