Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your British suits

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, I like 4-button DBs, but the stance here is a bit lower, thus creating a very long chest and empty space...
I consider sewing on a pair of decorative buttons.
What do you guys say? Here a doctored photo with 6 buttons:
2-13.jpg

Last edited:

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Yes, will do that. Of course they'd have to match, so it will require a set of 6 front and 6 sleeve buttons.
Problem is I only have German bowled type button sets and not the rimmed British variety (marbled plastic or corozo).

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Thank you Qirrel. They have some good buttons.
My first choice would be vintage British buttons, but their dovegrey rimmed corozo buttons look good.
Too bad they only accept orders of at least 25 buttons of one size.

Are the current buttons original to the jacket?

Yes.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oh you didn't promise too much when we talked about this suit. It's a jackpot. :eusa_clap
I hope to see in person next time we meet :cool:

PS: I like it as is...with 4 buttons.

Last edited:

Cunarder

New in Town
yes, there's nothing there. There is no .jpg or .tiff or whatever at the end of the web address. I jumped through some hoops over at Flickr

I'd say early 50s.

[EDIT] Whoops, having now seen the trousers, middle 50s or newer.

Interesting. Very nautical.

Thank you Baron, both for the Flickr rummaging, and your comments. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the originality of the blazer's buttons and whether I should attempt to replace them, and if so, with what? Military crested? Plain polished but old rather than new brass? Just leave well alone?

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Personally, I think shiny buttons look vulgar - whether they are original or not. They just make me think 'middle manager, in the bar at the golf club, 1983'.

dandy

New in Town
1940's jackson suit!

Jackson the Tailor began in 1900 with Moses Jacobson, a Russian emigre who set up in Clayton Street, Newcastle (where i was born btw). they were bought by Burtons in 1953. by that point they had 70 stores nationwide and were managed by Lionel Jacobson, Moses' son who, after the merger, became managing director of Jacksons AND Burtons apparently !

although they have a long history i've only ever seen suits post '58 by them, and there seems to be more of their vintage suits in the north east, probably because Geordie men preferred to buy from a real north east co

i have a jackson suit from the 40's, at least, that's what the style of the suit is, it could be even older.

Minefield. Almost impossible to tell. The Utility No is almost certainly the cloth specification. on CC41 labels this would be X209, which seems to have been used for many cloths and I suspect was a grade of cloth, rather than a specific cloth. "C & C" is possibly the maker, but unlikely?

I really need to get into the national archives to get stuck into the documents re: utility regulations and CC41 cloth.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
"C & C" is possibly the maker, but unlikely?

the 'C & C' stamp is in a box named 'CMT' which stands for Cut, Make and Trim... in other words the factory or workshop who did the production work.
Fastuni, if i had to bet who made the suit i'd go for Burtons just because it looks like the standard issue Brit post-war finish, and they did more of these suits than anyone else. my second place would be Hepworths.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I haven't seen this Burtons label before:
IMG_4723_zpsd42ec2d5.jpg

I did a bit of quick research and found that they became Montague Burton Ltd in 1917, but this label doesn't have mention of 'limited'. My first guess is that the label dates to the 1920s since it is different to any of the 1930s ones I have seen. Hopefully one of you out there with more experience of Burtons suits will be able to answer this for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari