Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your British suits

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Nothing easier than that.

That's great then, just noticed the jacket pocket flaps are slanted...hmm not sure if I like that and it's a shame as the rest has a definite golden era look to it.
Realistically it will need the trousers taking in at the waist, the rear vents sewing shut and the skirt and sleeves shortening a little.....hmm!

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
That's great then, just noticed the jacket pocket flaps are slanted...hmm not sure if I like that and it's a shame as the rest has a definite golden era look to it.

Slanted pockets were around then, maybe a bit less common but certainly not unheard of. Personally I like the look.

Mathematicus

A-List Customer
Realistically it will need the trousers taking in at the waist, the rear vents sewing shut and the skirt and sleeves shortening a little.....hmm!
Sleeves, waist and vents are easy alterations. Shortening the skirt may not be recommended, especially when shortening more than 1 inch; furthermore, the basic alterationst can really do a mess, having you spend not so few bucks.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Ok here goes, firstly ignore the grimace in some pictures I was breathing out to hold up the trousers as they're a 40" waist and I am 36" ish... honestly!
The trousers have side zip adjusters but no brace buttons and I don't possess any clip on braces evil things that they are.
2lszi8g.jpg
2exyrkh.jpg

2rpeb0k.jpg
2agvm3c.jpg

2ljnz3p.jpg

I turned up the jacket cuffs and legs for the photographs so they would need doing.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
That's the best £2 you will ever spend. You can't even get a pint for that!
You are not wrong there, a friend of my wife worked in a charity shop for over ten years, she told us that they were very aware of the desirability of bygone fashions. Whenever they received a wardrobe of clothes, usually from a family clearing out from the passing of an elderly relative, they would sort through for the most in demand items and put them up on e-bay.

I thought that the days of a £2 suit were long gone. Need to get up the M1 more!

Lovely suit by the way.

Last edited:

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Ha ha ha! I know TT. ..I was seriously trying to force out the receding stomach in an effort to hold up the trousers, arms are out to show the cut of jacket etc....I think it'll suffice to wear as work wear when I'm standing at vintage antique and retro events?

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Hello all,
Mine is a nice green/brown John Collier suit - three piece and double breasted too! Now I don't know its exact age - but it does seem to have 1950s and previous features - wide spaced jacket buttons with decent lapel, high-waisted trousers with a 20-21" wide leg, turn-ups and a fob pocket, with a risen back. The waistcoat has four pockets, lovely deep points and to top it off has a buttonhole for my pocket-watch! I understand that John Collier came into existence under that name in 1956? My photos are poor but hopefully I can update with a picture of myself in it.

My second item isn't a full suit but I thought I'd throw it in for good measure - a lovely sculpted double-breasted blazer by Alexandre. Feels like wearing a breastplate when it's on! Again, not sure on the exact date, only its era.

Sorry for the blur on this image - it reads 'Alexandre Of Oxford Street London W.I. Tailored Exclusively for S Ubych':

Thanks for looking!
Eddie

Patrick Hall

Practically Family
The color of that tweed has some depth. Really lovely. And the short peak lapels are also great. Is the waistcoat missing a button, or is he simply injecting a little "spretz" into his look?

Papperskatt

Practically Family
That suit is simply amazing and I was tempted to go into debt while it was on Savvy Row. :p I'm glad that it found a good owner!

Patrick Hall

Practically Family
it was a savvy row purchase??? I have to check their website more frequently. I just assumed it was always an endless parade of dinner jackets and tail coats (not that there is anything wrong with that).

jouster

New in Town
it was a savvy row purchase??? I have to check their website more frequently. I just assumed it was always an endless parade of dinner jackets and tail coats (not that there is anything wrong with that).

I *wish* Savvyrow were such a parade -- at least until I find one in my size...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR