Show us your British suits

Discussion in 'Suits' started by avedwards, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Two Types

Two Types I'll Lock Up

Yes, some 'milium suits' do have a quilted lining.

2. esteban68

esteban68 Call Me a Cab

It's £60 Eddie for a 60 's suit though if it's still there next time I visit and I can get it down a bit I have a feeling it'll be coming back with me!

3. esteban68

esteban68 Call Me a Cab

I've just checked in my milium coat and the lining is between the coat outer cloth and the inner lining. ..It looks just like a matt aluminium coloured nylon type thin lining cloth .

4. Rabbit

Rabbit Call Me a Cab

5. Hal

Hal Practically Family

Thin layers of foam (rubber-type, but I don't know precisely what material) were sometimes used to interline light overcoats in the middle 1960s (about the time that Milium began to be discarded). The coats were, as one might guess, stiff and rather uncomfortable, and this trend did not last long.

6. Sir RBH

Sir RBH A-List Customer

Hello Gentleman (and Ladies).. This is my favourite suit.. its from Huntsman .. (or should I call it Kingsmen now!!??)
    Its the heaviest tweed ever.. and a 4 piece too.. all the details you would expect, button fly, fishtail back, brace buttons.. and the most amazing craftsmanship... Huntsman.jpg

7. Eddie Derbyshire

Eddie Derbyshire Practically Family

I've heard that those rubber linings have degraded over time and have turned toxic? I turned down a lovely light tweed mac because the rubber lining was dropping to bits and had a nasty fragrance.

8. Eddie Derbyshire

Very nice! Tailored for yourself or a second-hand acquisition?

9. Sir RBH

Sir RBH A-List Customer

it was an ebay find about 8 years ago.. absolute gem too.. and you really don't wish to know how much I paid for it.. (or indeed had it valued by Huntsman to make now)...

10. Eddie Derbyshire

Ah very good.

11. Eddie Derbyshire

Hello all,

On my way with my wife to Chatsworth House! Really sunny so sorry about the brightness on the photo - I've tried to edit it down. It's a suit I had made for me by a MTM firm that my outfitter uses (in Yorkshire I think - not a sweatshop place anyway). It's based on a 1930s style, although they didn't get it spot-on with a number of details (button-stance, waistcoat points etc). I still love it though! It has fishtail trousers and a cinch-buckle on the back, and the jacket is half-lined.

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking!

12. esteban68

esteban68 Call Me a Cab

Looking good!

13. Eddie Derbyshire

Thanks! It's a nice suit to wear.

14. PeterB

PeterB One of the Regulars

Eddie, I think that suit turned out very well. I am curious; what is it about the button stance that you think is off? The trousers could have been a little wider in the thigh and knee, possibly, but overall it seems the tailor did a good job.

15. Eddie Derbyshire

Hi PeterB,
    Sorry for the late reply. Nothing drastic really, but I wanted the buttons in line with the pockets, i.e. bottom button in line with the hips pockets. However, with having that ticket pocket, it looks OK. With buttons the way they are, it fastens with a bit of a pull. Just me being picky! :)
    And thanks for your compliments on the suit. It otherwise fits me well, and I like it a lot.

16. Eddie Derbyshire

Ladies and Gents, I've got a booklet from Burtons the Tailors, published 1948, on measuring up customers for a suit. Is it something people might be interested in seeing? I think it's pretty rare - it was never for sale, and was strictly only for Burtons employees to see. It has some illustrations and some interesting insights into Burtons as a company.
    A friend of mine has the better one - the style book, with photos of the latest trends etc in the forties. I might try and borrow it off him to photo...

17. Rabbit

Rabbit Call Me a Cab

Might be interesting. Sounds like there is more info in there than the rather self-evident instructions that today's MTM companies provide for vendors.

18. Eddie Derbyshire

OK, I'll scan it in at some point. The illustrations are nice, and some are clearly are quite old-fashioned at the point of publication, implying different editions over time.

19. 1940sFreddie

1940sFreddie Familiar Face

Would be very interested to see it too Eddie. As a Montague Burtons collector always interested in seeing other items in people's collections. :)

20. esteban68

esteban68 Call Me a Cab

That'll be an interesting item to see Eddie!