Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your British suits

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Amazing suit, Freddie. Looks like the first half of the 30s to me, but since it's a British suit dating is always a bit foggy, I think. The fabric looks like it can take a lot of beating, really nice.

Eddie, those instructions do sound like they were made for more or less unlearned hands (cashiers are mentioned). It sounds so much like modern MTM instructions that I can't help thinking it was made for shops who offered MTM Burtons suits. I thought that was Burtons main business, along with off-the-rack, but I don't know firsthand.

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Rabbit - Burton's had their own shops, as far as I know, and I don't think they farmed out their sales to outfitters. But I might be mistaken. I'm by no means an authority on them. Either way, the booklet is a bit of a curiosity!

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
looks mid 30s to me Freddie. even if it was from 1928 i don't think there'd be any discernible difference from a 30s suit (assuming it's a wide legged trouser, not a narrow pre-bag trouser). in other words, it could be late 20s, but i don't know how it could be proved except for a tailor's date label. great suit either way.

Broccoli

One of the Regulars
I'd check trouser pleats, ankle width and shoulder padding. Conservative suits like this I've seen quite a few times, they are often not as old as one would think. For example, if the shoulders are more heavy padded, and the trousers are double pleated, it could sometimes be an early 40's. But this suit is 30s most surely.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Stunning suit. Personally i wouldn't care whether it was made in 1928 or 1988. It looks brilliant. pretty much the perfect period suit, in a nice distinctive stripe. I suspect we would all be very happy to have that suit.

1940sFreddie

Familiar Face
Thanks for the comments guys. Totally agree is a beautiful suit, but its not one i put my hand on when i go to my wardrobe. I suppose i always feel dark suits are very somber which is probably why i don't wear it much. I tend to wear a lot of browns, blues and grey. Not sure why but the picture of the label didn't load so will add it below.

Freddie

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
The fonts of that label certainly look quite early, and so does the liner and the fabric up close. Could easily be late 20s to early 30s, I'd say, going by the closeup shot. Seeing the fabric in detail here, I think I know what the cloth feels like. It looks extremely textured.
I agree about dark suits excepts blue ones being somber. This one is magnificent, though. If this isn't smaller than a size 36, I'm sure you'd have no trouble selling it. I'm size 37, just to mention it. :)

1940sFreddie

Familiar Face
Rabbit - haha I am a 36 chest and the suit fits well, unfortunately im a bit of a hoarder when it comes to suits. So no plans to sell it yet but never say never.

hbk- The width of the trousers measure 10inches across.

1940sFreddie

Familiar Face
This is a suit I bought for my partner. Really lovely colour, deep chocolate brown with a red and blue/green stripe. Made by J.B Johnstone ltd on the 13.6.1945 does anyone know anything about the company? The trousers on this are great with a fab high back detail.

Freddie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112