Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your British suits

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
A "Montague Burton" suit... solid quality, navy chalkstripe worsted. The shoulders are roped.
I presume (considering the lack of a CC41 label), that this is likely a pre-1942 specimen.
According to this site it is the 1936 MB label:

https://andrewsandpygott.wordpress.com/2011/01/31/dating-montague-burton-clothing/

MontagueBurton%201.jpg

MontagueBurton%202.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Two buttons on a Burtons suit of that period isn't something you see that often. I wonder if it's from the late 1940s or early fifties. The cc41 label wasn't always used and I don't know exactly when the 1930s style Burtons label was switched to the more modern 1950s version.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
If I understood it right the label on this suit bears the company designation in the version used until 1936.
But certainly these labels were used up for several years after 1936.

I don't know whether it's any clue... but the trousers have no fob pocket.

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
I've got an overcoat with the 19th label from 1951. So probably that modernist 1950s label came in after that. Lovely suit whenever it's from Fastuni. A nice, no-fuss piece. I'd wear it in a heartbeat.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
How true about the CC41, it wasn't mandatory. Theis suit could easily be late 40s/ early 50s. The 1936 label is the second one of the colored labels on the Andrews blog, not the one seen on this suit.

"We don’t know precisely when it came in and when it was replaced, but it may have been in use from as early as the mid 1920s and certainly remained until the late 1940s." That's what it says there about the old black and white label.

Another good example of how difficult the dating of British suits is.

1940sFreddie

Familiar Face
As I big MB fan, I have a few examples of there suits from various eras. In 1936 when the company changed from the "tailor of taste ltd" to just "the tailor of taste" i believe that they were ever told to stop using the old labels. I have suits that are 1940s with the utility mark still baring the LTD. I can only assume they just carried on using them until stock ran out.
Between 1950-1951 MB did start stamping all suits with the date of manufacture this can normally be found inside the inner jacket pocket. I have seen examples of the iconic MB label appear in clothing up until 1956.

Fastuni - Love the suit! Does it have the original label in the inner pocket? Even if there is no date they labels changed between the 30s and 40s so can sometimes be another good indicator of age.

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Labels are always a finicky thing. I think very often they can trick you into assuming dates etc, when nobody in the day perhaps played by the rules in terms of the correct label to sew in!

Here is my dinner suit, that I wore the other night for a black-tie wedding party. It's all from different sources, but of a matching Barathea. The jacket is from 1931, tailored in London. The trousers, I assume, are late 1950s/early 1960s, and the waistcoat I don't know! I realise that one isn't meant to unbutton the bottom button on evening dress, but it was decidedly cut that way.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I like the natural feel of that look. Some vintage outfits can be contrived but that doesn't give that impression. One thing: it would look much better with tan shoes.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
I found this yesterday and it has me a little stumped as to it's age, though if pushed I'd say 1960's?
Trousers are full cut with a 6 button fly, one buttoned rear pocket with no flap, a front fob pocket with no flap but with a button loop, trousers have an intergral belt and turn ups, rise is on a par with most 50's trousers I've seen handled but I haven't measured it it just comes to a comfortable height!

Jacket has just one internal pocket with a Burton label I've not seen before but is reminiscent of some 60's ones I've seen, two rear vents that are only 5 3/4" high so they're fairly short, there's no fabric content label at all anywhere, but it's itchy when rubbed against the skin so must have some wool content, it feels like a cross between a thornproof and a worsted to me;
zo9bid.jpg

2nhdug5.jpg
28w2ey9.jpg

wvvj83.jpg
28br602.jpg

9riwz4.jpg
54vxqb.jpg

2naipky.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member