Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your flat brim hats . . . .

quikrick

One Too Many
trPztYb.jpg

Australian made Stetson

quikrick

One Too Many
yup, that's some altitude right there.
this arrived today .. Tryfon Hatters, Tacoma, WA. seller thought 50s or 60s but i really haven't a clue. it cleaned up ok, western weight, dark brown. i'm thinking i'm going to leave as an open crown.
View attachment 237867
View attachment 237868
View attachment 237869
View attachment 237870
Love that one!
A few months ago there was a Tryfon Hatters on eBay in my size, It was pretty beat, black with a telescoping crown and apparently it had belonged to a Hollywood producer. It went a few cycles on eBay without any bites at $100, I made an offer but was declined. I can't remember the exact details though.
Yours is awesome.

I have often heard a flat brim open crown hat referred to as a "Navajo brim".

VgrZ6Gu.jpg
iNt5Dp5.jpg

Dream hat right there.
Serious man. I love this hat.
Rick, I have recently been reading "Wildwood Wisdom" by Ellsworth Jaeger again, written in 1945 a few yrs after Jaeger had spent 20 yrs exploring the Western US & western Canada. I found this paragraph & plate illustration substantiating the above pic & what I thought to be true:

From the "Boss of the Plains" style developed numerous other Stetson models, and different parts of the West selected different types. In western Canada, for instance, a low-crowned, heavy, flat-brimmed Stetson seems to be popular; while the cowpunchers of our West seem to favor a high-crowned, curling-brimmed model called the "Tom Mix." While traveling among the western Plains Indians and among the Navajos and Apaches I noticed a high-crowned, flat-brimmed hat called the "Tommy Grimes" was commonly worn.

IMG_9645.jpg

So they are known as the Tommy Grimes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB