Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

HodgePodge

One of the Regulars

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Originally Posted by twaits
Moderators: could you move this post here?
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showt...sitive-Special

Sorry I screwed up. I meant to post it in the guns area. Thanks!

"I'm sorry...but to me..that conversion seems pretty much of a shame.... "

"I think you ruined it....
But it's your gun."

I too have to agree. I like the idea of making it a snubby if that is what you wanted, but I would have looked for a "Detective Special" or at least left the barrel at 2" with a sight. But it is your gun and you can do with it as you please. Welcome to the lounge and do not get to discouraged by my reply, we all have opinions. Have you shot the weapon yet after your modifications? Just curious as to accuracy and range.

jkingrph

Practically Family
I'm like the others, thinking you ruined a nice old gun.

The barrel is too short, I really wonder if you have enough rifleing after the forcing cone to stabilize a bullet, plus the remaing barrel steps down so much there is nothing to to see for good pointability. What you have now is an across the room belly gun.

Roving_Bohemian

One of the Regulars
I'm like the others, thinking you ruined a nice old gun.
The barrel is too short, I really wonder if you have enough rifling after the forcing cone to stabilize a bullet, plus the remaining barrel steps down so much there is nothing to to see for good point-ability. What you have now is an across the room belly gun.
I too have to agree. I like the idea of making it a snubby if that is what you wanted, but I would have looked for a "Detective Special" or at least left the barrel at 2" with a sight. But it is your gun and you can do with it as you please. Welcome to the lounge and do not get to discouraged by my reply, we all have opinions. Have you shot the weapon yet after your modifications? Just curious as to accuracy and range.
While I would agree with the others as to not being fond of the shortness of the barrel, I want to remind everyone that
1. as Kirk said: It's his gun, if he likes it, so should it be.
2. It's already done. Telling him it's awful isn't going to change that.
3. This is his first day on the forum, and we meet him with criticism. We loungers pride ourselves on our courtesy, let's show him a little!
--

I was curious to know from everyone else: if you could choose between two variants of the same gun, do you prefer customizing with decorative grips
151007.jpg
Pistol%20Grip%201%20750pix.jpg
m36-2.jpg

or engraving on the gun?
engraved.jpg
38-2.jpg
Wayne357small.jpg

Perhaps both?
1911_jpg.jpg
RL_French-Pinfire-Revolver_1.jpg
1911-Assembled-Left-side1.jpg

Last edited:

Giftmacher

One Too Many
Roving_Bohemian: If I could choose ONLY from these two variants, I'd take one with "decorative" grips, which is easy to repair (read exchange for original grips). I literally hate this kind of modification. Maybe it looks good on an old hunting rifle, but really not on these. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Being a devotee of fine double shotguns, engraved metal will always be favored over carved wood or (shudder) ivory.

And twaits, if what you wanted was a pre-WWII belly gun then what you did was bang on. It's a gun, for heaven's sake, not the crown jewels. If it does what you want, it's a good gun whether it's 'cherry' or not. I really don't have any appreciation for 'safe queens'. Take 'em out and use 'em for krissakes.

MPicciotto

Practically Family
I prefer my engraving to be on long guns. But I would take engraved metal over the furniture, just my preference. But again that is on certain long guns. DB shotguns especially lend themselves to that. But I have a friend in Afghanistan going through the Kyber Pass fakes for the real things and he turned up a really neat looking trade pattern Martini that got a "Jabel" treatment to it. That gun appeals to me, but not to others.

Matt

Kirk H.

One Too Many
/\ /\ /\ /\

I am not a big fan of heavily engraved firearms especially on handguns. I have seen some very fine engraved long guns. I do prefer a set of nice wood grips on my revolvers instead of the rubber ones that seem to come standard now. Just my opinion. I am like Old Sarge in that I do not like "Safe Queens" I like to shoot them and it has been my experience with friends that own the engraved ones, they like to take em out and look at em, but not shoot em.

Last edited:

jkingrph

Practically Family
I'm like Oldsarge, prefering to have tastefully executed engraving of metal. Please, no carved wood, I would rather appreciate the fine grain of the wood than to distract from it by carving.

I also do not care for "safe queens", although I have a couple that are close to that category. I have several firearms, both rifles and shotguns which are engraved that are shot much more than other unengraved models, partly because I like their looks and most of all I like the way they shoot. I will not have a gun I cannot or will not shoot.

Back to the revolver that started this firestorm. The gentleman bought and paid for it, and it's his to do with as he pleases. He did throw it out there for comments and got plenty. Some are ok with it others prefer more traditional, classic appearances and we are all entilted to our opinion.

Last edited:

HodgePodge

One of the Regulars
others prefer more traditional, classic appearances and we are all entilted to our opinion.
More than just the aesthetic - the "after" version is a cool looking gun - I think it has to do with the fact that there are a finite number of all things golden era, and when they survive into the modern era in good, functional condition, some of us feel there's a certain sacrosanctity about it.

Whenever I see something antique converted or radically repurposed, I always think to myself "gee whiz, couldn't you have done that on something they are still making?"

I guess that's what would be labelled a "safe queen" argument, but I'm very much a preservationist, so label me as you see fit. :p

Guess I'm a little different than many engraved gun owners. I have quite a few...but shoot them! I haven't found that shooting them bothers the deep relief engraving. I even carry several engraved handguns without damage..but I'm not fast drawing with them,either. Probably 95% of my handguns are stainless where bluing wear is of no concern. I can see where some of the 'lighter' more delicately engraved firearms might not be wise to carry. I have hunted with my engraved rifles and shotguns..but am careful not to throw them around or let them bounce around...but I'm not much different with a nice firearm without engraving. I used to collect Colt SSA revolvers..so pristine that I couldn't bring myself to shoot many of them. They layed in one of my safes for years until I realized that is all they would ever do. I sold or traded all of them. I decided that I only wanted firearms that I could and would use. The calibers I enjoyed shooting..carrying...and hunting with. It just so happens that being an artist myself..I was drawn to the artwork of others skilled in metal engraving and inlays...and was willing to invest in that artistry. I will admit that I do have a couple of 'safe queens'..ah well OK..several..but I just couldn't bring myself to 'unload' them..:D. They too will go to my Son one day. Who knows..he may even shoot them....
HD

twaits

New in Town
Very neat idea to make a snubnose, but I would have done it with a new gone, rather than one with collectibility.

Police Positive Specials have no collectibility unless they are in pristine condition. Colt made hundreds of thousands of these things and this one cost me $175. Nothing to feel bad about. I bought this one specifically to make this gun with.
There's a book by a guy named Gary Peer about Colt DA snubnose revolvers. There's a PPS on page 109 that was a custom ordered colt PPS with a 1 1/4" barrel. That's what I wanted to recreate so that's what I did. It actually shoots pretty well when point shooting. This was done at about 7 yards very quickly:

IMG_2073.jpg

Here it is with some pearl grips:

IMG_1887.jpg

twaits

New in Town
1909 Army Special

IMG_0643-1.jpg

IMG_0642.jpg

Cut down 1915 Army Special. This one is currently at my gunsmith having a front sight installed. The original barrel had a cracked forcing cone so I rebarreled it. Got this one for a little over $100

IMG_1569.jpg

IMG_1568.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart