Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Rooster said:
I have the opposite problem, small hands. I gravitate to the smaller calibered Colt or euro autos, or a revolver like a colt detective. The 1911 is a pretty big grip for me, especially one handed rapid fire. I gotta hang on with both hands or I'll disarm myself!:eusa_doh: lol

I've got short fingers, which is why I like flat mainspring housings, short triggers and slim grip panels on my 1911's, you can drop the trigger reach by a good quarter inch plus that way. Throw in a deep beavertail and a munchkin can get a good firing grip.

That's one good thing about some of the newer autos, they are going with changeable grip inserts to deal with the grip size problem.

Solving a problem the 1911 solved in, oh, 1911. :D

Micawber

A-List Customer
I am reluctant to post details of what I own but I will make one exception as it is one that I am quite fond of.

DSCF5054a.jpg

A Stephen Grant 12 bore sidelever side by side hammergun with 30" barrels that I acquired from a very old friend who passed away many years ago. The gun has been well used over the years since it was made for a local gentleman in 1877. It is of best quality and was originally regulated for 3 1/4 drams of black powder & 1 1/4 of shot. I give it an airing every now and then and it is still perfectly capable of pulling down high pheasants.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Micawber said:
A Stephen Grant 12 bore sidelever side by side hammergun with 30" barrels .

Makes a Bonehill pale in comparison. Thanks for sharing with us. :eusa_clap

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
wow, that is beautiful...
there was a reason i wanted to post here...ah yes, i was watching MacGyver and noticed on an episode called "The Assassin" from season 1 that a couple of the characters carry the HK P7(i think) grip cocker pistol...thought it was interesting since i didn't know anything about that model HK until i read this forum and then watched that episode and said "hey! thats an HK P7, i saw it on the Fedora Lounge"...yes im a dork :eusa_doh:
anyway, carry on gents. just wanted to throw that out there :)

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
SamMarlowPI said:
wow, that is beautiful...
there was a reason i wanted to post here...ah yes, i was watching MacGyver and noticed on an episode called "The Assassin" from season 1 that a couple of the characters carry the HK P7(i think) grip cocker pistol...thought it was interesting since i didn't know anything about that model HK until i read this forum and then watched that episode and said "hey! thats an HK P7, i saw it on the Fedora Lounge"...yes im a dork :eusa_doh:
anyway, carry on gents. just wanted to throw that out there :)

Hans Gruber carried one in Die Hard. Classy, sleek and deadly.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Micawber,

For this I will forgive you (almost) falling prey to the 1950 vice...(see the 'Vice' thread).

I guy who I respect very much once told me that Grant's guns were the best. I have never seen one 'in the flesh' (so to speak). I can see what he means.

Alan

Micawber said:
I am reluctant to post details of what I own but I will make one exception as it is one that I am quite fond of.

DSCF5054a.jpg

A Stephen Grant 12 bore sidelever side by side hammergun with 30" barrels that I acquired from a very old friend who passed away many years ago. The gun has been well used over the years since it was made for a local gentleman in 1877. It is of best quality and was originally regulated for 3 1/4 drams of black powder & 1 1/4 of shot. I give it an airing every now and then and it is still perfectly capable of pulling down high pheasants.

Micawber

A-List Customer
Oh yes Alan you understand well the reasons behind my reluctance to 'show off' any more (also bearing in mind the current political climate and obligations involved in keeping such things these days).

That said I would agree with the views of your friend. The graceful sidelever on many Grant guns are a joy to use even when one's thumb naturally goes for the more common toplever. Based on looks alone I also have a fondness for the Dickson round action although I have heard that some find them less comfortable to carry than the more usual flat bottomed sidelock and boxlock actions.

I had the good fortune to be able to spend time in the factories of Holland & Holland and others some years ago and it was a joy to see guns being handmade and finished in the same manner as they have been since Victoria was on the throne.

There are countries that may allow gun ownership but won't allow MILITARY calibers to be used by the citizenry only police and military.

I understand in Mexico 45ACP is not allowed as a military caliber so the 1911s tend to be 38-Super.

Lucky Strike

A-List Customer
Close, but no cigars..here's my write-up from when it was sold:

PERCUSSION REVOLVER

Colt "Pocket" Model 1849. Cal. .31. Six-inch octagonal barrel. Five-shot cylinder. Serial no. 155002, made mid-1859. Matching numbers throughout, on cylinder, frame, barrel, trigger guard, wedge, etc. Frame and cylinder marked Colt's patent. Barrel top engraved with "Sam. Colt" in "Old English" lettering.

New York style engraving, with about 95% coverage on the frame, 30% coverage on barrel and 50% on the grip frame, probably done at the Gustave Young shop with foliate arabesque patterns with punch dot background. Dog's head motif interwoven in engraving in front of wedge. It has an engraved hammer with wolf's heads on the hammer nose and flourishes of arabesque patterns on the backstrap, butt strap and trigger guard. The left recoil shield has a well-executed fan and the flat behind the hammer, another well executed fan, typical of Young's work. Open space for presentation engraving on backstrap.

The cylinder is roll-engraved with W.L. Ormsby "Stagecoach Holdup Scene", with some wear.

Original nickel-plating, about 60 % of nickeling in place. Trigger-guard and backstrap in silver-plated brass, about 90 % of silver plating in place. Original ivory grips, the originality signified with the "apostrophe" mark below the serial number in front of the trigger-guard.

In probably original, well-fitting leather flap holster, richly decorated with silver studs and with large chased and engraved decorative plate on cover and an over-sized chape and shoe, also richly chased and engraved. Damage to locking strap.

A very fine, unrestored example of the 1850's luxury Colt revolver.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff