Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

Rhofal

New in Town
David Conwill said:
Okay, I guess I'll just decide it was a S&W Model 10 and set my heart on getting one. Anybody know if the modern ugly grips they put on the Model 10 these days can be replaced with wooden ones and give the old M&P look?

I recently got the airsoft version myself from Ebay. Fire arms legislation in Belgium is quite strict* and I only wanted it for a dress-up party.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BELL-S-W-M10-Wood-Grip-Airsoft-Gas-Gun-Revolver-EG718_W0QQitemZ270202051929QQihZ017QQcategoryZ31685QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem
This is a "bid now" type auction, I seem to remind from the rules it is OK to post those links...

* Basically, only criminals can own fire arms around here lol

Cheers,
Rhofal

shoelessjoe

Familiar Face
David Conwill said:
Ahh, then perhaps I'll never know. Back in the late nineties I was downtown and saw a Chicago cop dressed in a blue wool coat with a revolver handle sticking out of his pocket. I have since always wondered what it was.

Born and reared in Chicago, I can say with confidence that the handle you saw belonged to his throw-down piece.

All kidding aside ... Dad's cousin, a Chicago cop (retired, mid-eighties) carried a 4" S&W Model 19 and a good friend's Dad, another Chicago police officer (retired, late-sixties), whose beat was in old man Daley's Bridgeport neighborhood, carried a 4" Model 10 (pencil barrel).

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Can anyone tell me what is a reasonable price range to look for in an Enfield. I would like to pick one up sometime in the next couple of months but have no idea how much is too much!:eusa_doh:

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
indycop said:
Can anyone tell me what is a reasonable price range to look for in an Enfield. I would like to pick one up sometime in the next couple of months but have no idea how much is too much!:eusa_doh:

Surplus Enfield rifle? Still, just a couple hundred bucks from most distributors nowadays so not much more than that from a local store or online.

Gun show might be a good place to look as well, I saw tickets offered a couple posts back. :D

You can go to the online gun auction sites and order one to be delivered to a nearby FFL dealer for all the background checks and such to be done. PM me for the details or links to online sites.

The online sites and distributor websites are a good resource even if you do all your purchases at brick and mortar as they can give you a good idea of current prices.

warbird

One Too Many
David Conwill said:
Blast, that is a heavy barrel, isn't it? Definitely gotta be a pencil barrel and a square butt. Do you happen to know what's more commonly available: the S&W Model 10 or the Colt Police Special? Either one would be just gravy with me.

S&W was primarily a mass producing manufacturer so long and by far the main supplier to law enforcement that I doubt there's any company with more used weapons on the market than S&W.

They are easy to find at gun shows. Inspect carefully, you will often find they have barrels turned too far and thus have off kilter sights among numerous other issues.

Twitch

As far as surplus rifles go hust be sure you get something that takes ammo you can find easily. .30-06 is made comercially and is relatively inexpensive. Enfield .303 is allegedly available commercially new someone said. Just beware. I have an old M1 carbine and all the military surplus ammo is long gone making the commercial stuff very expensive- more than .30-06.

Try to stay away from some esoteric piece that shoots some Wehrmacht round that was last made in some Waffenfabrik in 1945. Even if it's cheap- no ammo.

rumblefish

One Too Many
Top-FN commercial Mauser .270 Win
Middle-Mannlicher Schoenauer model 1952 30 06
Bottom-Sako Finnwolf .308 Win

DSC00683.jpg
[/IMG]

DblCoronaMS

One of the Regulars
This is my late father's Colt. I'm not 100% sure but have every reason to believe it was his WWII sidearm. It shoots extremely well and is quite accurate. It needs a good cleaning. The surface rust is from the humidity in my house from 4' of Hurricane Katrina floodwater. Thank God it was up high and in a Gunguard case. My 9mm Makarov was up high but in a nylon holster and it now looks like the surface of the moon.

A pre-A1 version, WWI to early-'20s origin, nice deep bluing...

Sir, you might want to post those pics over at 1911Forum.com, M1911.org or TheHighRoad.org and ask them for recommendations. WWI-origin Colts tend to be very-high-value assets...

A friendly word of advice: when posting pics of a gun, you might want to "white-out" the serial number in Paint or Photoshop, or just place a small piece of paper over it while shooting the pic. Some people can learn disturbing things armed only with those numbers...

anon`

One Too Many
rumblefish said:
Top-FN commercial Mauser .270 Win
Middle-Mannlicher Schoenauer model 1952 30 06
Bottom-Sako Finnwolf .308 Win
I'd been trying to avoid posting in this thread, but you've convinced me to upload at least one photo:

two.jpg

Top is a 20ga Parker whose model I do not recall, no longer suitable for waterfowl (damn steel shot).
Bottom is a Mannlicher-Schoenauer M.1903 (6.5x54)

J.A. Daub

New in Town
Use the Parker!!!!

Steel shot be damned, there are a few alternatives to steel that are perfectly legal to use AND safe in your gun. Look for Kent Tungsten Matrix, it is tungsten powder suspended in polymer and is identical to lead. Bismuth shot is another way to go.

As for the post about .303 British ammo, I've got 400rnds of new Winchester manufacture 180grs in the gun room right now, it's available.

If I ever take some photos I'll get them up here, there's some Brownings, Winchesters, Remingtons, a Savage or two and at least one Marlin. I may be up here in Canada where owning firearms is a pain, but I do try to support the American firearms industry, you make nice guns:D

I think if I look I can find a few action shots of the big bores, I might have one of a .416 Rigby knocking down the chickens at the 100yds line. I know somewhere is is a short video of me knocking the 50yds gong off its chains with a .505 Gibbs (600grs 2100fps)

rumblefish

One Too Many
anon` said:
I'd been trying to avoid posting in this thread, but you've convinced me to upload at least one photo:

two.jpg

Top is a 20ga Parker whose model I do not recall, no longer suitable for waterfowl (damn steel shot).
Bottom is a Mannlicher-Schoenauer M.1903 (6.5x54)

Ah the holy grail of Mannlichers. Are there any special features such as a butt plate patch box? Great condition,,, and no tappings? do you still use it? Thanks for posting!!!

I don't know if you can see it, but mine has the Lymann swing away peep sight.

Try Bismuth for your Parker. I have a Beretta Silver Snipe, full over modified that I've never fire steel through. I use it only over fresh water with Bismuth. It patterns well, and after about 20 years the barrel ends are fine. I have a Beretta A302 semi auto I use over salt water; broadbill and such. After five seasons I needed to throw out the old modified tube and rechoke it. So I understand your concerns using steel.

I'll post my shotgun photo when I take it.

DblCoronaMS

One of the Regulars
Diamondback said:
A pre-A1 version, WWI to early-'20s origin, nice deep bluing...

Sir, you might want to post those pics over at 1911Forum.com, M1911.org or TheHighRoad.org and ask them for recommendations. WWI-origin Colts tend to be very-high-value assets...

A friendly word of advice: when posting pics of a gun, you might want to "white-out" the serial number in Paint or Photoshop, or just place a small piece of paper over it while shooting the pic. Some people can learn disturbing things armed only with those numbers...
Good advice on the serial number... it had never crossed my mind.

You've already told me more than I ever knew about the gun. I didn't know it was that old, so it might not have been Dad's sidearm after all. Interesting. I'll check out the sites you listed.

Thanks!

anon`

One Too Many
rumblefish said:
Ah the holy grail of Mannlichers. Are there any special features such as a butt plate patch box? Great condition,,, and no tappings? do you still use it? Thanks for posting!!!

I don't know if you can see it, but mine has the Lymann swing away peep sight.
No patch box that I've found, though I honestly have never thought to look, or tappings or nothing out of the ordinary other than the double set trigger. It does have two rear sights, though: one fixed and one that flips up and is intended to add something like 50 yards of elevation.

I personally have never used it for anything useful, but years ago my dad took it deer hunting a few times.

Try Bismuth for your Parker. I have a Beretta Silver Snipe, full over modified that I've never fire steel through. I use it only over fresh water with Bismuth. It patterns well, and after about 20 years the barrel ends are fine. I have a Beretta A302 semi auto I use over salt water; broadbill and such. After five seasons I needed to throw out the old modified tube and rechoke it. So I understand your concerns using steel.

I'll post my shotgun photo when I take it.
Oddly, I only learnt about bismuth this last waterfowl season, and I didn't realise that it was a soft as lead. I might look into that, although my dad & I both have perfectly serviceable 12ga shotguns for hunting with steel. Plus a third round; I can use all the help I can get! ;)

carebear

DblCoronaMS said:
Good advice on the serial number... it had never crossed my mind.

You've already told me more than I ever knew about the gun. I didn't know it was that old, so it might not have been Dad's sidearm after all. Interesting. I'll check out the sites you listed.

Thanks!

Just because it's originally of (pre) WWI vintage doesn't mean it didn't see use in WWII. Most of the Army's 1911's were arsenal refitted several times. They didn't trade them in much back then.

rumblefish

One Too Many
anon` said:
I might look into that, although my dad & I both have perfectly serviceable 12ga shotguns for hunting with steel. Plus a third round; I can use all the help I can get! ;)

There's something about saying "Yeah, I took 'em down with the old Parker"

Happy Hunting!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24