Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I just read in another thread that S&W is now reproducing the M1917 .45ACP revolver. That's a beautiful piece. $980.00 though, yowza. If I can buy one brand new for that, what's an original cost?

New S&W M1917.

I forgot to mention, too, that I'd love to own a Winchester Model 1897 - or even a Norinco copy.

-Dave

J.A. Daub

New in Town
Goose hunting is a lot of fun with a nice sxs, when we hunt the fields I use a Spanish made 12GA and I find it makes the experience a little nicer. I stick with a 870 in the sloughs and on the lakes, no sense in tempting fate.

It's too bad that the shooting seems a little tough to access, up here you could WALK out of town limits and have farmers begging you to set up in the fields to "get rid of the ....... geese". The season runs from Sept 1 to Dec 16 and the total daily limit is 20 snow geese, 8 Canadas, and 8 ducks. It makes up for the fact that the snow starts in early October and ends at the end of May.

anon`

One Too Many
It's is a pain. I happen to live in the Willamette Valley, where federal Fish & Feathers banned goose hunting following the collapse of the Dusky population in the '80s. Clearly, it was due to overhunting and not because of changes in the Dusky's nesting grounds...

Sadly, we've got plenty of geese and there's a lot of farmland in the Valley. Guess who eats well as a result?

Lucky Strike

A-List Customer
David Conwill said:
I forgot to mention, too, that I'd love to own a Winchester Model 1897 - or even a Norinco copy.

-Dave

A few Winchesters I've handled:

Repeter.jpg

63593-1.jpg

58187-1.jpg

57771-6.jpg

Winchester92.jpg

And a Brit relative:

51674-149.jpg

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
David Conwill said:
I just read in another thread that S&W is now reproducing the M1917 .45ACP revolver. That's a beautiful piece. $980.00 though, yowza. If I can buy one brand new for that, what's an original cost?

-Dave

Original 1917's go for around $300-$600 depending on condition. Check out the online gun auction sites.

Curt Dawson

Familiar Face
Sorry no pic's

My meger armory consists of a nickel plated S&W K-38, 6" S&W m&p,2" S&W m&p,ruger single six with 2" barrel and a remington 22rf pump.On the short list are a 1911 38super,Marlin 1895 in 45-70 and a Kel-Tec SU 16.

carebear

The long lever gave greater leverage and a longer stroke to extract the cartridge without tearing the rim off.

When facing a horde of fuzzy-wuzzys you didn't want to be prying a case out of the chamber with your pocket knife.

Pilotguy299

One of the Regulars
Well it's not exactly vintage

but it is full of history.

this rifle was produced by Winchester for the 200th anniversary of the
US Marshals Service in 1989. It's chambered in .30-30 and has a 24" barrel.
It's one of two that I own and over which my three children are already
fighting each other for: ;)

l_f26af7634d842548817b029626ee7839.jpg

The Rifleman!

Lever actions are pretty cool. Wasn't it Steve McQueen had the shortened one on TV?

Many people I know talk about having one in a pistol caliber like 357Mag/38Spec or 44Mag/44Spec so they can carry the same cartridge for their pistol while in the great outdoors.

Lucky Strike said:
And a Brit relative:

51674-149.jpg
Hindsight would have me a similar one from Jack First Gun Shop in Lancaster, CA, circa 1982, in (converted to?) .22lr, with a threaded muzzle end - supposed to have been old English "garden" guns for dispatching rabbits and "pests" without disturbing the neighbors, there was a rack of them, were they less than $100? Ahh, memory...

carebear

John in Covina said:
Lever actions are pretty cool. Wasn't it Steve McQueen had the shortened one on TV?

Many people I know talk about having one in a pistol caliber like 357Mag/38Spec or 44Mag/44Spec so they can carry the same cartridge for their pistol while in the great outdoors.

McQueen in "Wanted: Dead or Alive" carried his "Mare's Laig" cut down rifle.

Rondo said:
Hindsight would have me a similar one from Jack First Gun Shop in Lancaster, CA, circa 1982, in (converted to?) .22lr, with a threaded muzzle end - supposed to have been old English "garden" guns for dispatching rabbits and "pests" without disturbing the neighbors, there was a rack of them, were they less than $100? Ahh, memory...

That was back when Maxim suppressors (which fit on the threads) were sold through the mail and over the counter at Sears and the like as (quite accurately) "mufflers". To allow shooting without damaging your hearing or disturbing the neighbors. In the Teddy Roosevelt home museum there are a couple Maxim-silenced .22s he and his brothers used as garden guns.

A device that's over a century old, designed for safety, that was never documented to actually be used in crime in significant numbers, demonized by authoritarian politicos with an agenda.

The deaf-before-their-time, law-abiding shooters of the world salute you politicians. :rolleyes:

rumblefish

One Too Many
John in Covina said:

DSC00710.jpg
[/IMG]

Here's a pistol that shoots a rifle cartridge, 7mm-08.

Suppresors

There are about 26 states where you may still own full auto suppressors and other "controlled" firearms which tends to totally amaze those from the non states. Something about a tax stamp and background checks by the Feds ATF.

Anyway, on numerous visits to Nevada which is a can own state one may visit a variety of guns stores with indoor ranges and learn of the pleasures of renting full auto guns as well as "silenced" guns. I really enjoyed shooting a Mac (10?) in 45 ACP with a great suppressor. It was awesome and being able to hear the brass hit the floor was both startling and amusing. I am drawn to H&K's MP5 which is a joy to shoot. One of these days I'd like to shoot the Rugar 10/22 they had which was full auto and supressed, I'd be tempted to sign my initials in the target with it. JE

The number of these legally in the hands of citizens is a pretty high number and i believe the record on muders with a legally held full auto in all the years since this set up is only one if I am not mistaken.

carebear

John in Covina said:
There are about 26 states where you may still own full auto suppressors and other "controlled" firearms which tends to totally amaze those from the non states. Something about a tax stamp and background checks by the Feds ATF.

Anyway, on numerous visits to Nevada which is a can own state one may visit a variety of guns stores with indoor ranges and learn of the pleasures of renting full auto guns as well as "silenced" guns. I really enjoyed shooting a Mac (10?) in 45 ACP with a great suppressor. It was awesome and being able to hear the brass hit the floor was both startling and amusing. I am drawn to H&K's MP5 which is a joy to shoot. One of these days I'd like to shoot the Rugar 10/22 they had which was full auto and supressed, I'd be tempted to sign my initials in the target with it. JE

The number of these legally in the hands of citizens is a pretty high number and i believe the record on muders with a legally held full auto in all the years since this set up is only one if I am not mistaken.

True, and that one murder was by a police officer of an informant.

When you look at non-registered/taxed full autos versus all firearms used in crime, the percentage is just under 1% of the total, almost within the statistical margin of error. Crimes involving illegal or legal suppressors and FA's and short-barrelled rifles/shotguns, despite the nonsense bleating of politicians and their ignorant appointed police chiefs, is a non-issue.

Once my current financial issues are taken care of, I've got my eye on a suppressor for my M1A SOCOM. My ears deserve the break.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy