Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

Renault

One Too Many
"Where are you hunting elk and what are you hunting them with?"

I hunt up on a private ranch in unit 18,maybe 3 miles (as the crow flies) from the south gate of the Rocky Mtn. National Park.

100_2827.jpg

Yes I am spoiled. Those mtns in the background are in the park. This is part of the big meadow on the ranch.

Hopefully I'll be using the rifle pictured below this year. One of my several Krags, .30 U.S. Army. This one is my favorite! Been doing a lot of work to it this past winter and as you can see I did get the new front sight sweated on today! Last elk was taken with my old Husqvarna 146, I rechambered to 9.3 x 62mm. (I like the ol' 30-06 myself even tho I still have a .375 H&H!)

Also stuck in the latest acquisition . Winchester Model 12, 12 ga. modified choke, mfg 1959. Traded my old Auto-5 Browning for it. Wore myself out lugging that old Browning pheasant hunting this year in Kansas. The Model 12 is a bit lighter!

Sorry Sarge, I wanted to give you another "Outdoor Life" cover photo, but we've been getting lots of rain and I cannot get down to my photo spot in the bottom. Too much water!!!!! For a change!!!!!!! Sure beats the past 3 years worth of drought!!!!!!!!! Sorry for the poor photo.......

100_3138.jpg

Renault

Oldsarge

One Too Many
I consider the Krag one of the most under-appreciated rifles ever made. While the 30-40 really isn't up to mule deer across the canyon or antelope late in the season it is a fine caliber and the Krag action is the fastest bolt gun ever made. I have one, but it's a chromed parade rifle my grandfather carried for the Elks drill team. I've thought about refurbishing it but suspect that I'd be better off getting a pure shooter. Would be just the ticket for pig, blacktail deer, tule elk, black bear . . .

Renault

One Too Many
and the Krag action is the fastest bolt gun ever made.

I'll tell you Sarge. Any of my old Krags are as smooth as glass action as any of the classic Mannlicher-Schoenauer I've ever handled or worked on! I've worked on a few. I simply love 'em!!!!!

BUT,,,,,

I really would love to lay my hands on one of those G & H Springfields..... Just for Papa Hemingway's sake.

BTW, a Holland & Holland Mauser walked into the shop last week. Built on a M1908 actionso I suspect it may have been a Brazilian contract action. In of all calibres, .300 Win Mag. Decent piece. I got on the phone & called a bud and he bought it!!!!!!

Renault

The Inspector

One of the Regulars
Just came back from Larry's pistol and pawn after they had a HUGE Ruger sale like they always do each year(really packed) and after about three years of waiting, I finally got my Dan Wesson Model 15-2 with the 2 and 6 inch barrel with the instructions, pins, and tool all in the original box.

e39fda13.jpg

b222f147.jpg

715d972b.jpg

9f021e87.jpg

9d3312f6.jpg

1f71e69a.jpg

4d0321b4.jpg

Im sure it will fit right in...

Last edited:

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Well, this isn't a complete gun yet, but just the start. This is a December 1942 M1 Garand receiver that I bought at the CMP North Store at Camp Perry, Ohio last week. I'm in the midst of amassing parts, as I also have a barrel and bolt for it and I just ordered a stock and rear lockbar sight for the rifle. Here's the receiver:

Picture278.jpg

I'll post status reports as the project continues.

The Inspector

One of the Regulars
Well, this isn't a complete gun yet, but just the start. This is a December 1942 M1 Garand receiver that I bought at the CMP North Store at Camp Perry, Ohio last week. I'm in the midst of amassing parts, as I also have a barrel and bolt for it and I just ordered a stock and rear lockbar sight for the rifle. Here's the receiver:

Picture278.jpg

I'll post status reports as the project continues.
That will be a neat little project to keep you busy this year! :D

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Just came back from Larry's pistol and pawn after they had a HUGE Ruger sale like they always do each year(really packed) and after about three years of waiting, I finally got my Dan Wesson 357 with the 2 and 6 inch barrel with the instructions, pins, and tool all in the original box.

e39fda13.jpg

b222f147.jpg

715d972b.jpg

9f021e87.jpg

9d3312f6.jpg

1f71e69a.jpg

4d0321b4.jpg

Im sure it will fit right in...

Nice!!! I have not seen one of those inyears.

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Neat way to build up a Johnny Cash Garand. Receiver looks good. Was it reparkerized? Just wondering how they sell the receivers ie NOS, refinished, rack grade etc.... fun project, wish they sold 45 frames....
John

KilroyCD

One Too Many
The receiver was refinished at CMP. The refinished receivers they sell are originally from rack grade rifles. They're now using the rack grade M1s as the basis of the "CMP Special" Garands, which are completely remanufactured and basically brand new rifles. These are "Grade B" receivers that didn't quite make the cut cosmetically.

MikePotts

Practically Family
Here's a nice old Purdey...

...that just came into my posession:

P1010204.jpg

P1010205.jpg

P1010206.jpg

at serial number 134XX it was made in the mid to late 1880's

I'll post more details of stock dimensions & bore diameters etc. when Gunsmith Merrington stops slacking around in hospital.

MP

Doublegun

Practically Family
Oh, my. That's a sublime old Purdey. They used the best looking wood. Look to be fluid steel barrels. Original or sleeved?

I have been thinking it's time for me to get an English gun. I doubt I could ever find a top tier name in my price range so I have been looking for a Hussey or Grant.

JDG

MikePotts

Practically Family
Well, it's certainly not sleeved so I'm thinking the barrels may be new(er). It'll be for sale at some point when I get bore measurements etc.

Oh, my. That's a sublime old Purdey. They used the best looking wood. Look to be fluid steel barrels. Original or sleeved?

I have been thinking it's time for me to get an English gun. I doubt I could ever find a top tier name in my price range so I have been looking for a Hussey or Grant.

JDG

MikePotts

Practically Family
LOL, no bamboo fly rods for me - hooks are WAY too small. If I can't hang an 8/O or bigger on the line , I kinda lose interest

A grand old gun, simply grand. Late 1880's Purdey? It simply doesn't get any better. Next you'll be telling us about your collection of split bamboo fly rods, I suppose.:cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy