Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

bulldog1935

Suspended
No, I don't own this one (yet) but here's one for all you "black gun" enthusiasts out there. I just read about the Mossberg 464SPX in the latest American Rifleman magazine. I couldn't help but giggle a bit when I saw the picture, and the first thing that popped into my mind was "Steampunk Tactical". Strangely enough, this odd little critter is growing on me.
timthumb.png

I'll just take the clean levergun, thank you
H00101.jpg

we don need no stinkinga tactical
a25ydgroup.jpg

bulldog1935

Suspended
Henry H001 is the best buy in a firearm out there, IMO - $300 for that little rifle, and it's a tack-driver.
I added the Williams FP-GR peep sight, but that was also inexpensive.
H00105.jpg

when I was first dialing in the peep sight, 4 of 6 pairs were connected shots
a25ydpairs.jpg

Doublegun

Practically Family
Mossberg has always been synonymous with UGLY guns. You all have seen this one before but I took this picture last week while sitting in my deer blind. Unfortunately no deer were harmed during my hunt:

09D0B21E-8190-4D6E-9EC5-94F001189A36-8856-000008C37AACAB2A.jpg

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Henry H001 is the best buy in a firearm out there, IMO - $300 for that little rifle, and it's a tack-driver.
H00105.jpg

I agree, the Henry is the best. I have the H001T Frontier Model with the octagon barrel and optional large loop lever.
Picture003a-1.jpg

Last edited:

Oldsarge

One Too Many
H00105.jpg

when I was first dialing in the peep sight, 4 of 6 pairs were connected shots
a25ydpairs.jpg

There is just so much good to say about a decent peep sight and so very little bad. I've got a BSA Martini match .22 with one and as soon as I get a chance to replace the buttpad with a hook and install a palmrest it's going down to my local indoor range and become a baby Schuetzen rifle.

bulldog1935

Suspended
I think I've posted this earlier on this thread, but here's the view through the Creedmoore on my 1885 (Uberti replica)
this is also through an MVA Hadley cup stopped down to the smallest aperture
globe6.jpg

spirit level in the front globe, and my favorite insert
lowwall02a-1.jpg

lowwall05-1.jpg

(the buckhorns are replaced with a folding Marble's rear since this photo)
also a rimfire, I hit a dime at 75 yds with it.

Back to Henry. The company, of course, touts itself as having roots in the 1860 Henry, which is of course, not true.
Though I understand they are now working on a true 1860 replica.
The actual roots of the Henry H001 are the Irma (German) copy of the Marlin 39. Later sold as Ithaca before being purchased by the Henry start-up company.
A made in USA rifle for $300. The Ithacas sell for 50% higher as collectibles, and the Marlin 39a for over twice as much.
IMO, the Henry action is better than the Marlin - of course, that can start some fights.
H00104.jpg

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Winchester

Do any of the new Lever rifles look as good as an original? 1886 made in 1889, 45-70. 1870 Springfield 50-70.
Springfield.jpg

bulldog1935

Suspended
Do any of the new Lever rifles look as good as an original? 1886 made in 1889, 45-70. 1870 Springfield 50-70.
Springfield.jpg
of course not - that's a lovely 86 - great tiger on the stock.
They often don't really even understand case color - the point was not the color, the point was the hardness achieved.
They play with chemicals to duplicate a color effect that was very much a result of form follows function. The original case colors came from carbon pack carburizing followed by oil quenching.
brb04.jpg

the advantages to the modern replicas, though is that they're built to shoot smokeless powder.
Take .357 for example - it's a virtual twin of a .38-40, which makes it a lot of fun to shoot, economical, and a useful round in a rifle or carbine.
I can also load 180-gr .35 spitzers to 1800+ fps for this baby rolling block, and make a very effective rifle.
brb07.jpg

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I should mention, the 86 can and has taken deer and Elk out to 200 yards! Still amazing how a 123 year old rifle can shoot so well, even with anemic factory loads..

bulldog1935

Suspended
I should mention, the 86 can and has taken deer and Elk out to 200 yards! Still amazing how a 123 year old rifle can shoot so well, even with anemic factory loads..
here's a friend's result on the leverguns board, firing the exceptional .38-72
http://levergunscommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=44805
Kirk is a published author (great photographer - duh) and has the finest collection I know of.
He also has a very fine calendar for the new year.
http://levergunscommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=44266

The .35 spitzer at 1800 fps from the little rolling block single gives me a flat .357 past 150 yds.

Oldsarge

One Too Many
I don't think I'd ever actually buy a levergun, but there is no denying their grace and nostalgic value, especially the older ones like the '86. Possibly if I ever got the opportunity to hunt moose out of a canoe in Ontario . . .

Rathdown

Practically Family
I don't think I'd ever actually buy a levergun, but there is no denying their grace and nostalgic value, especially the older ones like the '86. Possibly if I ever got the opportunity to hunt moose out of a canoe in Ontario . . .
I think one has to go to Pomona to shoot moose from a canoe. Or is it Riverside?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy