Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

howardeye

Practically Family
I really like to add these grips to a Colt Government model! They are fossil mammoth tooth and the best I have ever seen!

4ABC8E35-793C-415B-966A-6262E160826B-632-0000008334512B2A_zps3aef4972.jpg

howardeye

Practically Family
Holy cow they are ugly!Why would you put them on a Colt government 45????

That is why I posted it to get some feedback. I am getting tired of the ivory on blued frames which has been my first choice all my life. Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Here is the other choice. As you have gathered I like blue!

38BE4D30-89E5-458F-A108-7916B526BE69-854-000000D7695AB40D_zps2f6a89e9.jpg

Last edited:

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Howard, I'm not a fan of decorative grips and much prefer fancy grain walnut but in the case of the two sets shown above, I definitely prefer option 'B'. The fore-and-aft lines will accentuate the positive nature of the M1911 and make it even more assertive looking. Option 'A' is just . . . pretty. :eeek:

howardeye

Practically Family
The silver backing is a little much. It would look great in a modern action movie! I like the fossil mammoth tooth because I work with it all the time in my jewelry creations and no one can duplicate it!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The silver backing is a little much. It would look great in a modern action movie! I like the fossil mammoth tooth because I work with it all the time in my jewelry creations and no one can duplicate it!

I forgot to ask, are you making these? The reason I ask is, I have a Colt 1903 with a broken grip.

s3p3

New in Town
The things you can find with random word searches on here. Typed in hunting and found a thread with over 4k posts about guns. I'm liking this place more and more each time I log on.

Figured I'd post a couple of mine real quick.

S&W 686 no dash 4" (have the factory wood grips but they're a bit small for my hands).

kRAfzOO.jpg

On top is an Argentinian Sistema 1927 (Argentinian Army sidearm built in the 1950's). Some people say it isn't a Colt but it was built on Colt machinery, using Colt blueprints, and is 100% interchangeable with a 1911. It is wearing USGI wood as the bakelite didn't hold up to time and recoil. Below that is my usual carry piece, just a boring Glock 27 .40.

mJo9fYi.jpg

This is a British Transitional Pepperbox, mid 1800's approximate .46 caliber.

81iP3oV.jpg

This isn't my picture but I've got 1 exactly like these, it is a French Naval Boarding Pistol dated 1837.

tHcbwRr.jpg

Another that isn't my picture but I've got one of this model (that needs a little TLC). It is a Forehand & Wadsworth Swamp Angel in .41 rimfire. 1 7/8ths inch barrel, made to slip into a vest pocket.

LWcTIqk.jpg

Landman

One Too Many
Howard,

Personally I prefer walnut or ivory grips on my 1911's but of the two sets you posted I like the second set. However, the second set does not cover the plunger tube. The first set does cover the plunger tube. I prefer the left grip panel to cover the tube. That may not matter to you but I thought I'd point it out.

freakazoid

Familiar Face
Wow. Both of those grips are amazing! I think I prefer the first set. Is the blue normal or is that something added in? Also where did you find those!?

I've got a nice firearm collection, will eventually post them all but for now here is my oldest gun, a Remington Model 8 I came across at a gun show.
DSC07303_zps78ad282b.jpg

The person had a few and the moment I saw them I knew I had to pick one up, I really like odd and unique guns. This one was manufactured in August 1922 and is chambered in .32 Remington, didn't know at the time that this round is no longer commercially available. A few gun shows later I found someone selling reloads so I picked up 40 rounds, I'm going to have to learn how to reload myself. I plan on picking one up in .35 Remington if I can find one again.

howardeye

Practically Family
I forgot to ask, are you making these? The reason I ask is, I have a Colt 1903 with a broken grip.
I do not have the time since I am about 2 years behind but my ivory supplier in San Antonio has these 2 sets made and others including fossil brain coral! http://www.fineturnage.com

Nice guns everyone!!!!! I have the vest to hold the 2 black powder pistols! They are gems!

Last edited:

howardeye

Practically Family
Howard,

Personally I prefer walnut or ivory grips on my 1911's but of the two sets you posted I like the second set. However, the second set does not cover the plunger tube. The first set does cover the plunger tube. I prefer the left grip panel to cover the tube. That may not matter to you but I thought I'd point it out.

Thanks. I did not notice since I was caught up in the colors. You really cannot form this material the way you want at least I cannot. The material is like tooth enamel and has to be cut with diamond saws. For the other that asked the color comes from stabilizing it with resins and other stuff under pressure to hold it together.

howardeye

Practically Family
I would! There is only one set of them grips in the world and you can buy a 45 anywhere! The first thing I do when I buy a handgun is throw away the grips and dismantle it for a radical fine tuning and precision fit!

Renault

One Too Many
You can form 32 Remington out of 30/30 Winchester cases, if I recall correctly. It's easy to do, once you have a reloading press.

Won't work. 30-30 is a rimmed case. 32 Remington is not. (I bet you're thinking of 32 Winchester Special, sarge! You can make them from 30-30 cases).

I can't remember but I think you will havta use 35 Remington to form your 32 Remington cases. As they are all rimless cartridges. Hopefully it's not 30 Remington's you havta use as those cases are virtually non-existent since the advent of the 6.8 SPC.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner