Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

jkingrph

Practically Family
Nice looking 146. One of my favorites is a Mod 46 in 9.3x57. It's too nice to try rechambering, plus I would doubt integrity of the action with a higher pressure cartridge. Having a backup supply of unused Norma brass helps also.

Renault

One Too Many
I took a nice 8pt whitetail this past weekend in Deep South Texas with my other 146 in 9.3x57! Took a Hail Mary shot at a blue bull(nilgai) in the deep brush and oak mott! There were two bulls together. Thankfully my shot was a clean miss. The next day about mid morning my son managed to get a nice big nilgai bull! After we tracked it down he commented "if the devil ever rode an animal it would be a nilgai!" They are about the toughest critter I've ever been up against. I guess if your main predator is a Bengal tiger you gotta be a little tough!!!

Here is what they look like if you have never seen one before.

Last edited:

Landman

One Too Many
Renault, great looking wartime 94. I love 94's and can't seem to pass one up when I see one. Most of mine are in 30-30 but last year I bought two nice 94's in 32 Win Special from an older gentleman here that was selling off his guns because his children and grandchildren did not want them. One was made in either 1940 or 1943. I can' find a definitive answer on the manufacture date. The other was manufactured in 1953. I had never had any experience with that round before. I really like it and have been carrying one in my truck for hogs. The hogs are a real problem on our place.

Those Nilgai are tuff critters. Sounds like you might have been hunting down by the King Ranch. The Nilgai are all over that area now and are starting to be a nuisance for some ranchers.

Luftwaffles

One of the Regulars
Finally got around to taking some GOOD pictures of my rifle
1557352_571475069610351_800160943_o.jpg
1496141_571474992943692_584452517_o.jpg
1606262_571475066277018_1557278766_o.jpg

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Here's another recent addition. It's a Nepalese Snider Enfield I picked up at IMA this past September. However, it isn't a run of the mill Nepalese Snider. This is about six inches shorter than the standard P1864 Snider, yet about six inches longer than the two-band short rifle. Since I have found no references to this type as yet, I'll unofficially call it a Nepalese Snider "Cadet Rifle". It is in the standard .577 Snider caliber.
This was one of the "untouched" rifles that IMA pulled out of the Old Palace of Lagan Silekhana in Katmandu in 2003. Before I bought it the rifle's stock appeared to have been partially cleaned, so restoration was quick and easy. The only relatively major thing that needed to be taken care of was re-crowning the barrel.

Hi Folks

Any loungers open carry their hand gun? It would be cool to see an open carrying gun toddling fedora wearer...

TIA for your reply's

Best regards.

CCJ

MikePotts

Practically Family
"Any loungers open carry their hand gun? " .....only on my own property Joe, Texas forbids open carry in public but it would be fun, as you say, to see some pictures of period pistols worn with period clothing.

We can legally 'open carry' here in Indiana...but why do it around populated areas? Rather than 'cool' it can make some feel uneasy.
HD

Hi HoosierDaddy-- Thank you for your reply... I personally would not feel uneasy around a law abiding citizen open carrying a hand gun..
I agree that some folks may feel uneasy, however those folks should read the 2A to the United States Constitution.. The fact that citizens may feel uneasy does not mean others should be deprived of their natural right "to keep and bear arms". I personally doubt that real criminals are open carrying, hence only law abiding citizens would be doing so... Think of it this way, would you stop wearing your vintage fedora simply because someone felt uneasy because they thought you looked like a gangster from another era. Hell no, you would not..

Anyway my .02

Thank you and best regards.

CCJ

"Any loungers open carry their hand gun? " .....only on my own property Joe, Texas forbids open carry in public but it would be fun, as you say, to see some pictures of period pistols worn with period clothing.

Hi Mike
Thank you for your reply.. Are you 100% sure about the "no open carry laws" in your state? I have seen some youtube videos posted by open carriers from Texas, I believe Austin TX... Anyway, yes, law abiding citizens open carrying in vintage attire would be something to view.
Best regards.
CCJ

Forgetting for a moment that I had a small revolver on my belt after seating myself in a restaurant and removing my coat...a cop came over and asked me to please put my jacket back on(or cover the gun). Nothing to do with 'rights'...but just common courtesy. An establishment (department store..mall) can even ask you to leave if you refuse to make it less obvious. Company rules. They don't want a family atmosphere and customers disrupted needlessly. Now if most of the public carried out in the open..it probably wouldn't be sometimes such an issue.
HD

DeaconKC

One Too Many
The problem I would have with myself open carrying is that I don't want the criminals to know I am armed. If hunting that is different, just my two cents.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
North Carolina allows open carry. I've never seen much of it, though. I'm not sure why unless folks think its more aggravation than its worth. Occasionally when I'm on the river I'll see someone toting a pistol, but rarely, if ever, do I see open carry in town.

AF

Kirk H.

One Too Many
North Carolina allows open carry. I've never seen much of it, though. I'm not sure why unless folks think its more aggravation than its worth. Occasionally when I'm on the river I'll see someone toting a pistol, but rarely, if ever, do I see open carry in town.

AF

As far as urban areas goes in the great North State, I would say the agravation part is spot on. The 911 calls come in like crazy when they see someone with a gun, never mind that it is in a holster and the person is just walking down the street.

Kirk H.

plain old dave

A-List Customer
Well, here in TN we have a carry permit, not a concealed carry permit. Open carry is perfectly legal here. But to get back to the original topic, here's a quintessential Golden Age rifle, a Remington Model 14-A in .30 Remington. Vintage October 1924; if tis rifle were clothing, she would be a straw boater. If you hunt and think pump rifles are bulky and rattly, the 14/141 will make a believer out of you. Slim, easy carrying, easy pointing. We now have 3 in our deer camp, and at least one has accounted for deer in the last few years. We hunt with more Old Iron than almost anybody else; here's what you might see coming out with us:

Remington Model 14s (Three of us have them)
Winchester Model 71
Winchester Model 86
Winchester 1910 .401 WSL
Krags (I hunt with the upthread one), both US and Winchester 1895

model14_1.jpg model14_2.jpg

Last edited:

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
NC still embraces an old common law offense called "Going Armed to the Terror of the Public". It isn't charged very much, but its still law and I've prosecuted it before. Like many common law offenses, the elements are stated using horribly archaic language. Conviction requires a showing that the defendant armed himself with an "unusual or dangerous weapon" and then "went about on the streets or highways" intending to terrorize onlookers. I've always envisioned a huge bearded man lumbering down a crowded street wearing a broad sword, screaming and growling at passersby.

But the offense is general enough that where a person acts with ill intent, just walking around with a firearm strapped to oneself could be a crime here.

AF

Last edited:

plain old dave

A-List Customer
NC still embraces an old common law offense called "Going Armed to the Terror of the Public". It isn't charged very much, but its still law and I've prosecuted it before. Like many common law offenses, the elements are stated using horribly archaic language. Conviction requires a showing that the defendant armed himself with an "unusual or dangerous weapon" and then "went about on the streets or highways" intending to terrorizing onlookers. I've always envisioned a huge bearded man lumbering down a crowded street wearing a broad sword, screaming and growling at passersby.

But the offense is general enough that where a person acts with ill intent, just walking around with a firearm strapped to oneself could be a crime here.

AF

Before we had the current carry permit law, carrying WITHOUT a permit was called "carrying a weapon with the intent to go armed." Sounds like a similar concept to what you all have Across The Mountain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari