Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

Renault

One Too Many
Was the original 1892, ever chambered in .45LC? I thought, 44-40 was the biggest cartridge.

No, reason was the old balloon head case design of the 45 Colt ctg. case heads would rip out upon extraction of a 45 ctg. 44 WCF , 38 WCF , etc were originally rifle
Cartridges designed for the purpose. Those ctgs were of the same size that could also be used in a handgun. So the birth of the rifle/revolver combo.

Funny how all say that back then everyone matched their revolver to their rifle in these cases. James Gillette, Texas Ranger in west Texas spoke of an incident where one of his rangers (in the middle of a gunfight with bandits) accidentally loaded one of his 45 Colt Revolver ctgs in his 1873 Winchester 44WCF! He went on to state how the ranger very coolly and under fire took his belt knife, unscrewed the screw retaining the loading gate, clears the jammed ctg, reassembled, and continued the fight. The rifle /revolver combo was not always the case. It boiled down to what they had and what they could afford!

Oldsarge

One Too Many
I had my grandfather's 97 overhauled and reblued. I haven't gotten around to a new stock, something that it desperately needs as he was about 5' 4" and I'm 6' 0". And I haven't fired it, since, either. Not sure I will. My son is the same size I am so I suspect I'll just get it stocked the right length and pass it down as an heirloom. Yes, a pump gun for serious shooting is about defined as a M12. I've wanted a Heavy Duck for years but with my joints starting to fail decided on a Beretta A400 instead.

Kirk H.

One Too Many
"Funny how all say that back then everyone matched their revolver to their rifle in these cases. James Gillette, Texas Ranger in west Texas spoke of an incident where one of his rangers (in the middle of a gunfight with bandits) accidentally loaded one of his 45 Colt Revolver ctgs in his 1873 Winchester 44WCF! He went on to state how the ranger very coolly and under fire took his belt knife, unscrewed the screw retaining the loading gate, clears the jammed ctg, reassembled, and continued the fight. The rifle /revolver combo was not always the case. It boiled down to what they had and what they could afford!"

Talk about nerves of steel and cool under presure......

Last edited:

Renault

One Too Many
Ok here's a model 12. I keep this one by my nightstand. Mfg in 1924. 12 gauge. It started out life as a 30" full choke. But since there about a gazillion 30" full chokes out there ( I bet we see one every other week!) I had no qualms about reducing the barrel to 20" and reinstalling the bead.

Renault

One Too Many
Here's another! I did not buy this gun but we see a lot of them and there is a genre of collectors out there that go all gaga for them. Japanese occupation era engraving and inlay. Back during our occupation of japan after WWII many service personal would enlist the services of a local engraver to doll up their guns! General a shotgun purchased down at the px. One the whole the workman ship is generally superb! Very well executed. And most time this was done of a pittance of cash!!!

DeaconKC

One Too Many
You are aware Col. Jeff Cooper was a huge fan of the Krag? And I wish I could find a Model 12 in 12 ga here to bob the barrel! Got a nice 16 gauge doing house duty right now.

Renault

One Too Many
Back on the "old" days, every now and again, we'd get in an S. D. Myers marked El Paso holster with a gun!!!! But you don't see them very often anymore. We did get in one of the Denver maker holsters the other day. The famous one. Dangit can't remember his name. German name.

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Back on the "old" days, every now and again, we'd get in an S. D. Myers marked El Paso holster with a gun!!!! But you don't see them very often anymore. We did get in one of the Denver maker holsters the other day. The famous one. Dangit can't remember his name. German name.

Would that be a HEISER Holster as in Herman Heiser, you are talking about?

Kirk

Renault

One Too Many
That's it!!! Thanks Kirk. Believe it came in with an old worn Colt Police Positive or something along those lines.

In this area the holster to get is an "A. W. Brill, Austin Texas". Leather and harness maker who's shop was down I believe on east 6th around Red River St. He made holsters For lots of LEO's including Texas Rangers. Most were a single loop rig. Last year, Customer brought in a WWII PPK his brother brought back from Europe that Brill made him a holster for. Looked kinda funny to see a PPK in a basket weave single loop rig! We used to see this rigs all the time. Picked em up for a sawbuck!!! Now they are demanding top dollar. See em on eBay!

Last edited:

Kirk H.

One Too Many
That's it!!! Thanks Kirk. Believe it came in with an old worn Colt Police Positive or something along those lines.

In this area the holster to get is an "A. W. Brill, Austin Texas". Leather and harness maker who's shop was down I believe on east 6th around Red River St. He made holsters For lots of LEO's including Texas Rangers. Most were a single loop rig. Last year, Customer brought in a WWII PPK his brother brought back from Europe that Brill made him a holster for. Looked kinda funny to see a PPK in a basket weave single loop rig! We used to see this rigs all the time. Picked em up for a sawbuck!!! Now they are demanding top dollar. See em on eBay!

Anytime. I have this mental image of the PPK in an old west style holster and I agree that does look kinda funny.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner