Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

DeaconKC

One Too Many
just picked up a "Budget" 1911 from ATI, it's a Commander size and I will wind up with less than $300 in it. It's as well finished as a Colt 1991 I had some years ago.

Renault

One Too Many
Nice catch deacon!!!! I picked up a few cool items today.

Yes! Folks still drag this stuff in. Guess they find it in the garage when poor gramps dies. Notice in the box the two full boxes of 45 ctgs for 1911 pistol! Frankfort arsenal.

DesertDan

One Too Many
Nice score. I remember when I could go into any hardware store and buy those little 50 round boxes of .22LR for .50 cents

Renault

One Too Many
Yes! I remember buying the Revelation at Western Auto before the GCA of 68! The box of Remington 22 LR has a monkey wards price tag on back side of $.34!!!!

Those were the days.

The Federal OO Buck is expensive. Marked $4.10!

Renault

One Too Many
No I just picked em up me and both of the boys shoot lots of 30 WCF. But I suppose we'll havta use cast bullets for reloads. As you well know, jacketed 30-30 projectiles are non-existent!!!

I chuckle at those doomsday TV shows and movies that have become so popular lately. Like that show Revolution. (Btw, they have been finishing the filming right up the road from us at Spiderwood studios). Seems the ones I've watched for more than 15 minutes, everyone depends on some kinda compound bow. Where are they getting their arrows???? Just can't go make a wooden one to shoot out!! But we have folks every week that bring in all kinds of old ammo!!!! Granted what I came home with are all most likely duds. But the amount of the stuff out there is incredible. Even 20 or 30 year old stuff works!!!! We still have folks bring in boxes and boxes of that old Evansville-Chryster steel case 45 ACP loaded in 1943!!!! They made gazillions of rounds of that stuff!!! And it generally still works!

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Yes! I remember buying the Revelation at Western Auto before the GCA of 68! The box of Remington 22 LR has a monkey wards price tag on back side of $.34!!!!

Those were the days.

The Federal OO Buck is expensive. Marked $4.10!

Funny story...sort of. A friend of mine was drafted in 1972 and came home for a visit before shipping off to beautiful Southeast Asia. He, his younger brother and I decided to go squirrel hunting one morning before he left. We needed .22 hollow points, so we stopped by the local hardware store to buy a box. No way. The store owner informed us that .22s were "handgun" ammunition because they could be used in pistols, and minors could no longer buy handguns or handgun ammunition. Of course, the GCA of '68 proscribed handgun sales to people under the age of 18...not "minors"….but neither we nor the hardware store owner knew the difference. So we left with no bullets. I remember thinking how odd it was that my friend was leaving for Vietnam in a few days…but it wasn’t safe for him to shoot at a squirrel with a .22.

AF

rjb1

Practically Family
50 cents was what the local *grocery* store charged for a box of 50 .22 shorts. (They did sell ammunition at the grocery store.) When we were about 13-14 my cousin and I would ride there on our bikes with our rifles over the handlebars and we would both kick in a quarter to get the box of .22's. Then we would ride to the local dump and fill most of the afternoon carefully choosing our shots at old lamps, tin cans, and whatever we could dig up (literally).
No one paid any attention to us since most of the boy kids did exactly the same.

You mention that jacketed 30-30 bullets are non-existent. I know that you are looking for flat-points, but the basic question is whether the the reloading-components shortage hasn't ended in Texas. I haven't specifically looked for .30 cal FP's, but it seems that almost everything of a reloading nature is now available in substantial quantities here (Nashville).

(Those .30-220 rounds for the Winchester 1895 and the .30-03's (03's!) are really interesting. I bet that all will function fine.)

Renault

One Too Many
We cannot get any reloading projectiles. I mean the stuff needed. However we got in a BIG shipment of powder yesterday. I think things may be getting more available.

A memory came back toe reading your memoir as well as Atticus'. Way out in the country where my aunt and uncle farmed. There was an "ice house" about a mile west of their farm (south Texas). We would walk there and they would sell us 22 cartridges by the round! Like 2 or 3 cents a piece! We usually used the cash we made from picking up soda water bottles out of the bar ditch to make the purchases!

I figure the 30/03 rounds as well as the 30-220's ( 30/40 Krag) are
Circa 1905-10. Really like them!!!

Horace Debussy Jones

A-List Customer
I figure the 30/03 rounds as well as the 30-220's ( 30/40 Krag) are
Circa 1905-10. Really like them!!!
I'd be willing to bet that they still work too. Recently saw a video of some guys firing an old Lebel using original ammo. 1890's vintage I believe. It was click,...bang,...about a 1 second delay, but the stuff still worked!

Renault

One Too Many
No. But if we do our jobs the best we can...and we work, not for money, but because its the right thing to do...then once...or maybe twice...in our careers humble people in the balcony stand up when we leave the court room.

AF

Yup! I'm just glad that Miss Allison in my 9th grade English class made me read that book!!!

Renault

One Too Many
I'd be willing to bet that they still work too. Recently saw a video of some guys firing an old Lebel using original ammo. 1890's vintage I believe. It was click,...bang,...about a 1 second delay, but the stuff still worked!

I still have about a dozen or more M1914 Hotchkiss MG trays loaded with 8mm Lebel. Most of the stuff you find is all Syrian mfg from the 40's. Lots of May-pops in those things! The rounds with the black lacquer seal on the primers seem to work better. I think it was the old Navy Arms company came up with a bunch of that stuff back in the 80's.

You will have fun with your mini-14. They tend to be a fun rifle to shoot!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner