Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Bingo! We have a winner! In really nice condition!!!
About 5" barrel.
Well done Kirk!

Thanks Bob. What caliber is it? I have not seen one with the longer barrel. I have always seen the "Snub nosed" CID model. And BTW great find

Last edited:

Renault

One Too Many
.450 Adams centerfire. I like to say the old phrase "450 Boxer"! Sounds cooler. Like "needle gun".

:D

Older lady brought in a bunch of relics. Like Khyber pass pistols made out of Martini Henry actions. Astra 600 she brought in was loaded!

pompier

Familiar Face
Very nice indeed......

Must be nice to have stuff like that come to you. :D Good catch, nice to see it's going to a good home. Does appear to be in pretty good condition. Now you just need another one to walk in the store to make a pair.

MikePotts

Practically Family
My Mother's mother travelled in ox carts through South Africa with a 'composed pair' of those (one a Webley, the other a Belgian equiv.) in the very early 1900's .
We had them (illegally) in U.K. until something compelled my father to hand them in during an 'amnesty' in the early 70's.....:eusa_doh:

Renault

One Too Many
Hardest part yesterday was telling her she would have to get the MP 28 out of the shop. I'm sure she has already turned it in to the local authorities by now. She had an eclectic hodgepodge of relics.

rjb1

Practically Family
It's a complicated legal issue as to who can buy what firearm, and how. There are Federal laws/rules that have to be followed, and also overlapping State Laws. There are questions on the Federal form which you have to fill out to buy a firearm from a Federally-licensed dealer that deal with citizenship status, but being a US citizen I pretty much pay little attention to them. I do answer the questions, since I have to, but I am hesitant to quote the details from memory.
This applies to firearms bought from a Federally-licensed dealer.
Rules for private sales between individuals are regulated on a State-by-State basis. In Tennessee, I can buy from a fellow state resident with no restrictions and be in perfect compliance with the law. I did exactly that last weekend and bought a S&W revolver made in 1907.
If you were not a citizen of my State you would not be legally able to buy a firearm directly from a Tennessee resident, apart from Federal law.
In other States the rules may be totally different and may require other legal steps. I don't want to violate the no-politics rule, but just as an observation the State laws tend to follow the political tendencies of the various States.

As for antiques, if a firearm was actually made prior to 1899 it's considered an antique and the rules for selling or shipping those are less strict. However, a modern replica of an antique type is treated as a modern firearm. (Uberti 1873 vs. Winchester 1873)

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
As for antiques, if a firearm was actually made prior to 1899 it's considered an antique and the rules for selling or shipping those are less strict. However, a modern replica of an antique type is treated as a modern firearm. (Uberti 1873 vs. Winchester 1873)
That is why I quoted original, as been made before 1899.

Renault

One Too Many
Joao,

I'm retired and sometimes assist repair staff at a local sporting goods shop. I'm not the owner of the shop, just a helper.

Stuff I've seen walk in the shop in the past.

Chauchats, Maxims, Reising SMG,s, Mauser Anti-tank rifles, SG-44's, Auto-burglars, Beretta MP38, and a wide assortment of shoulder-stocked pistols. That's all I can remember as of now.

This is for over 30 years.

rjb1

Practically Family
Joao,
Those machine-guns and submachine-guns open up a whole different and bigger set of legal issues concerning firearms ownership in the US.

It is legal, if allowed by the law in your own State, to buy a fully-automatic weapon (machine gun). However, it has to be what is called "transferable", which means that it has been previously and properly registered with the Federal government.
After having located such a weapon that you would like to buy, which will likely cost $15 -20,000 (or more), you have to get your local Chief of Police to sign a form saying that you are not a criminal and have no criminal intent for purchase of the firearm. Then you send the application to buy the firearm to the Federal government for further background checks. You also have to pay a $200 tax to the Federal government and send two sets of fingerprints and two sets of photos of yourself.
At that point you have to wait several months to get final approval. At that point you can take possession (transfer) of the firearm. (Having already paid the previous owner a large sum of money, of course...)

A machine-gun without proper registration is considered contraband and anyone possessing one is subject to up to 10 years in Federal prison.

Renault - I assume you tell the widows who walk in with their deceased husband's Thompson that they brought back from Iwo Jima to see a good lawyer. and then see the BATF (in that order).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch