Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

green papaya

One Too Many
I have a Norinco model 97 replica trench shotgun. It seems to be very well made.

I wouldnt mind having one of those WW1 style Trench guns , they do look well made.

2016-05-20_214920.jpg

Renault

One Too Many
You might be happier dolling up a Model 12 Winchester. Contemporary with the 97. You can find originals to work with for 1/2 the price. Less parts to break. And not a nightmare to maintain.

We used to chuckle at the shop as we could always tell a Cowboy Action Shooter with a new 97. They generally picked up a beater at the gun show ( seems about 90% of all 97's that show up are beaters), show up Monday morning promptly at opening with two zip lock freezer bags full of parts they can't get back in the gun.

Something about screwdriver slots that turn many folks into a Mr. Hyde

Edit!
Might mention that on the Norinco 97's they tend to have fragile wood. I know some folks do not treat their firearms very well. Ok they abuse them. The wrist tend to be pretty weak. I've had to pin and epoxy many wrists in the past. Otherwise the guns work!!!!

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
You might be happier dolling up a Model 12 Winchester. Contemporary with the 97. You can find originals to work with for 1/2 the price. Less parts to break. And not a nightmare to maintain.

We used to chuckle at the shop as we could always tell a Cowboy Action Shooter with a new 97. They generally picked up a beater at the gun show ( seems about 90% of all 97's that show up are beaters), show up Monday morning promptly at opening with two zip lock freezer bags full of parts they can't get back in the gun.

Something about screwdriver slots that turn many folks into a Mr. Hyde

Edit!
Might mention that on the Norinco 97's they tend to have fragile wood. I know some folks do not treat their firearms very well. Ok they abuse them. The wrist tend to be pretty weak. I've had to pin and epoxy many wrists in the past. Otherwise the guns work!!!!
Didn't know that! I don't action shoot and I traded for mine back when they were very cheap. Not sure if I have a full $100 in it?

Renault

One Too Many
It's no biggie Stearman! If I found a primo sport model 97, heck I'd prolly buy it. Most 97's been rode hard and put up wet! :) never ran across me that met my standards.

Gotta watch that bolt and keep the ol' thumb outta the way when working that action! ;)

I have an uber nice model 1912 solid rib mfg in 1916 that is too dawg gone pretty to haul to the woods. So I usually pack my 1924 mfg one to the pasture. It's a quail killin' machine!!!
Got one in "riot" configuration by the night stand.

plain old dave

A-List Customer
As to shotguns, I think I was spoiled. My Papaw had a pre-1913 LC Smith 16 gauge and every other shotgun, Ithaca Featherlights possibly excepted, feels like a plank.

Interbak

One of the Regulars
Norinco's are still readily available in Canada, lots of people buy them for their first 1911, very few keep them for long. I had one of those M97 trench guns. On the first outing it stopped extracting properly. Upon inspection I found the outboard extractor claw had fallen out. I took it back the dealer I got it from, they installed a proper Winchester part. They weren't particularly surprised that it had fallen apart. I sold it shortly afterward. In this case, your gov't might have done you a favor blocking their import.

B

EngProf

Practically Family
Norinco's are still readily available in Canada, lots of people buy them for their first 1911, very few keep them for long. I had one of those M97 trench guns. On the first outing it stopped extracting properly. Upon inspection I found the outboard extractor claw had fallen out. I took it back the dealer I got it from, they installed a proper Winchester part. They weren't particularly surprised that it had fallen apart. I sold it shortly afterward. In this case, your gov't might have done you a favor blocking their import.

B
Among the military reenactors there is some knowledge about which of the Chinese 1897's have good parts and are reliable. Some are good others are not.
If someone was looking for one of those a bit of research would be appropriate before buying.

TPD166

One Too Many
Righting a Wrong.

My first duty gun was a pinned & recessed S&W Model 65 that I bought new in 1982. I hand-polished it to a mirror finish, replaced the hammer & trigger with combat ones, had an action job done, and painted the front sight red. Then I did something stupid.

Fancying myself quite the pistolero in the mid-80s, I had the grip cut from a square butt to a round one (something I regularly cuss the S&W factory for doing today). While I did not regret it at first, I grew to hate myself for that decision.

But I have now made amends to the extent possible. I found an overseas eBay vendor that makes very nice replacement grips (from whom I've bought several nice sets for vintage guns). I recently learned that they also make 1970s S&W factory target styled grips that convert round grip frames to square. While not a perfect solution, I am happy to return my old M-65 to its original look (well, as close as it will ever be). The "new" look is shown below - with a favorite 1960s Brauer Bros. paddle holster.

SurfGent

Suspended
The old smith K frames are nice. I inherited a -2 model 19 from my mother of all people, one of the 1st female cadets in the particular area at the time. She maybe put less than 50rds threw it in all those years. It's pristine

SurfGent

Suspended
My dad had colt Python's until 1980 then switched to a 686 briefly then late 80s came, and then came a new little gun called a Sig 226. Gosh I wish I had thouse colts today $$$$$$

SurfGent

Suspended
Lately I've been getting into CZ's especially older and pre war models. There cheap and really good quality, finely crafted guns. And even the prices for the new ones are very reasonable, down right cheap, in comparison to a new Sig or HK. I'm a Sig armor and have been working on them basically all my life with my dad in his shop and I must say I'm very disappointed with the quality and directions Sig has gone with the company. I couldn't in good conscience recommend a "new" Sig sauer to anyone these days. There newly manufactured guns are a shadow of the former, and there cutting so many corners it's really sad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana