Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

Cocker

Practically Family
Thanks SurfGent! Nothing in a hurry here, I'm thinking about it since I've had the stock. I'd like to go for something like original, maybe add a bit of character to it. As of now, it's somewhat brand new, and I don't get to use it as the guys back then did (hopefully!).

RJR

The best advice I can give you is think about what look your going for. ie new, original, original with history ect ect. Then take your time. Furniture can be fragile in ways. It wasn't designed to be striped with modern oven cleaners and such or wrapped in black plastic bags and left in the sun for hours. Although these can be a useful techniques they also present opportunity for warping splitting and cracking. Each stock is a case analysis, different prescriptions per that peice of wood. Take this particular gun. I did set it out in the sun for a few minutes. Only long enough to identify the cosmo soaked area's, a small area behind the tang and a small area near the trigger guard, from sitting upright in storage for years no doubt and that was it. Now imagine I blasted it with some space age chemistry and did the whole black bag thing. I could have unnecessarily stressed the wood to a breaking or warping point. 2 clean a very small area soaked with Cosmo ? Not to smart. So in conclusion make a assessment of the furniture, decide the results you are trying to achieve and then take the path of most resistance? Lol yes. Most resistance. A little Dawn soap and hot water before ka-booom rocket science cleaner or what ever. If you are in a big hurry there's plenty of other opinions on here and out there. Good luck and post your results. The show us your guns crowd on FL are a great bunch of guys and we enjoy each other's updates.

Still waiting for pics of the Jeffrey Sarge !
One suggestion if you didn't already use it is whiting compound for the heavily oilsoaked areas.
You don't want to know the entire story,suffice it to say that over the years DennisEarl Smith (The Stock Doctor) in Oregon has become a good friend.Many will tell you that he's the best there is at stock R&R.I know that he makes use of whiting frequently.

SurfGent

Suspended
Gentlemen I'm sorry to inform you I might be leaving the Fedora lounge. Checking on one of my past posts on the decaying of education thread I got into a debate with another member. Everything was civil. No name calling or foul language. But seems I was censored for some reason by FL moderators or something. I don't know why ? I was a complete gentlemen. But I'm a man of principle so I must do the right thing. Honestly I'm shocked over this. It wasn't even a hostel or spirited debate. So thank all of you. I've enjoyed the gun and tie thread the most. I've never been a fan of any social media. But when I found this place I was beginning to have a change of heart. I hope and wish all of you the best.
Good luck
Dave

SurfGent

Suspended
I have and am awaiting a response. Perhaps there was some kind of error. I will keep you updated as to the results. Thanks for your support
Dave

EngProf

Practically Family
As someone who's line of work is higher education I was following the discussion you referred to very closely (and participated a bit). I don't remember anything from anyone that was out of line. Don't quit - especially if you have been falsely accused.

EngProf

Practically Family
As someone who's line of work is higher education I was following the discussion you referred to very closely (and participated a bit). I don't remember anything from anyone that was out of line. Don't quit - especially if you have been falsely accused.
If i work in higher education I should know the difference between "who's" and "whose"....

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I have and am awaiting a response. Perhaps there was some kind of error. I will keep you updated as to the results. Thanks for your support
Dave

I think I understand how you feel. I once asked the membership here where I could purchase a real switchblade. A bartender quickly deleted my post, saying something like "This isn't appropriate for the lounge". I was a bit puzzled. After all, we have an old...but occasially active...thread titled "Show Us Your Switchblades". But I figured there must have been some reason for the bartender's action...and I'm a guest here...so I just forgot about it.

AF

SurfGent

Suspended
I think being a guest goes both ways. In a way we are customers. There's advertising that goes on hear due to our membership. Without us there advertisers have no audience. I still haven't received a response as to why I was censored. The subject matter in question actually has been censored for age's. Which maybe speaks to the politics of the management of the FL. Which is fine. But when I see a double standard I speak up.

SurfGent

Suspended
Also in turn I've limited myself lately to just a few threads where I've made online friends. When I've tried to comment on other broader subjects I always run into some smart allic nay sayer member who seems to have some chip on there shoulder. With this education thread I laid out my case somewhat light hearted with hints of humor for effect. As to be not to intimidating. Education is something I've done quite alot of research on. Over the years I've gained some great insights into the education process globally. It's history , how its structured and how it is implemented. For those who have read my posts, of which there are many. Where have I ever come off unreasonable unrealistic rude obnoxious or plain ole full of crap. So when debating this gentleman our discussion was between us. There was crickets on the thread and if you go back and look. I was inviting discussion. I had a open mind I was interested in hearing other opinions. The response I received was this basically a insult. The gentleman said I had a crackpot or cockeyed idea or something. Which I was very polite, more polite than him and basically said I disagree and thank God online I have a right to disagree and have a crackpot idea and that was deleted.

SurfGent

Suspended
And I apologize to you all. This is supposed to be a gun thread instead it's become a place for my belly aching about this situation

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot