Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

RJR

In an impulse purchase, the girlfriend and I just bought two of these Filson blankets (one for us, one as a gift for her parents) as the combination of Pendleton and Smokey the Bear was just too much for us to resist. Sometimes you do have to just say WTF and buy something on impulse.

The blanket is 82% wool, 18% cotton and feels very heavy - a great napping-on-the-sofa blanket for the fall.

A nearly full shot:

How can't you love this fellow, looks very close (see link below) to the original illustration of Smokey form the '40s

The wonderful Pendleton edge and Forest Service Green (the darker original green, not today's lighter shade)

How the blanket will look when in service in the fall

Link to Smokey the Bear historical info:
https://smokeybear.com/en/smokeys-history?decade=1940
Very cool purchase but what does it have to do with this topic?

Very cool purchase but what does it have to do with this topic?

Absolutely nothing - I'm an idiot. Meant to post it under a new thread in the parent thread - sorry.

Edit Add: I just created the new thread and deleted the post above. Again, sorry for the mistake.

Last edited:

SurfGent

Suspended
KIMG0069.jpg

SurfGent

Suspended
This rifle had a unique stock. The pattern of the grain and the dings and nicks and rough and tough sort of nature really has alot of character. This peice of elm from the forests of Yugoslavia has a new life. Ocean's away from its home land and no doubt it will be loved and cared for as it was ment to be. I'm waiting till tomorrow for assembly. I'll post tomorrow the photos before I start the next one

SurfGent

Suspended
KIMG0069.jpg

While I was digging out the other Yugo I had to pull out a interarms mark 10 in 308. The rifle was made in England and is beautifully made. The craftsmanship of this rifle harkens back to the old days of the 50s and early 60s when most all hunting rifles were well made

SurfGent

Suspended
Interarms was owned by Sam Cummings. If you are ever interested in reading about a colorful American that lived a interesting life of a international arms dealer. Google him. His guns were high quality at reasonable prices and the man would literally buy entire surplus arsenals.

Oldsarge

One Too Many
I hardly ever buy a new gun anymore. The old ones are just so much more appealing. I can hardly wait for the next one to arrive, a side lever, hammered 16 ga. It will need a bit of extension with a leather covered butt pad and I doubt that I'll want to see the F/F choking. Sk 1&2 seems ever so much more effective on upland game. Will post when it arrives.

jkingrph

Practically Family
This rifle had a unique stock. The pattern of the grain and the dings and nicks and rough and tough sort of nature really has alot of character. This peice of elm from the forests of Yugoslavia has a new life. Ocean's away from its home land and no doubt it will be loved and cared for as it was ment to be. I'm waiting till tomorrow for assembly. I'll post tomorrow the photos before I start the next one

I have two rifles with elm stocks, one a Yugo 48 mauser, the other a Swedish Mauser from 1916. Both are in better condition than yours pictured. The Yugo is rather unique in that it has a large arsenal patch inlaid in the forearm, and is stampet with the receiver serial number, 9999. They were so smooth to start with all I did was give them a rub down with a boiled linseed oil, turpentine mix to clean surface grime off. Now they have a golden, amber color.

RJR

I hardly ever buy a new gun anymore. The old ones are just so much more appealing. I can hardly wait for the next one to arrive, a side lever, hammered 16 ga. It will need a bit of extension with a leather covered butt pad and I doubt that I'll want to see the F/F choking. Sk 1&2 seems ever so much more effective on upland game. Will post when it arrives.
Anxious to see the 16 when it arrives.

SurfGent

Suspended
@SurfGent , very nice work you did on those stocks! I'm actually looking forward to refinishing the paratrooper stock on the M1, any tips?
The best advice I can give you is think about what look your going for. ie new, original, original with history ect ect. Then take your time. Furniture can be fragile in ways. It wasn't designed to be striped with modern oven cleaners and such or wrapped in black plastic bags and left in the sun for hours. Although these can be a useful techniques they also present opportunity for warping splitting and cracking. Each stock is a case analysis, different prescriptions per that peice of wood. Take this particular gun. I did set it out in the sun for a few minutes. Only long enough to identify the cosmo soaked area's, a small area behind the tang and a small area near the trigger guard, from sitting upright in storage for years no doubt and that was it. Now imagine I blasted it with some space age chemistry and did the whole black bag thing. I could have unnecessarily stressed the wood to a breaking or warping point. 2 clean a very small area soaked with Cosmo ? Not to smart. So in conclusion make a assessment of the furniture, decide the results you are trying to achieve and then take the path of most resistance? Lol yes. Most resistance. A little Dawn soap and hot water before ka-booom rocket science cleaner or what ever. If you are in a big hurry there's plenty of other opinions on here and out there. Good luck and post your results. The show us your guns crowd on FL are a great bunch of guys and we enjoy each other's updates.

Still waiting for pics of the Jeffrey Sarge !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR