Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

jkingrph

Practically Family
Oh, jeez! I'm about to buy a 16x16x7x57R drilling. Seller just reduced the price. Okay, Oregon elk and grouse, you're in trouble now!

I would love to have one of those, in a sxs 16 and a rifle caliber like you mention. They are few and far between in this part of the country. The last one I saw had some non functioning features, like the rear sight did not fold up when rifle was selected, and the dealer , a good one that handled mostly very high grade vintage shotguns, did not know where to have it repaired or how. The few I have seen have been very expensive.

1955mercury

One of the Regulars
I just finished cleaning this S&W model 37-2 Airweight for a lady I've known for 60 years. She said it had been in a drawer for the last nine years. It had something like varnish all over it and inside it and was completely locked down. Maybe she child proofed it sometime in the past. Lol. But it's clean now and I was really impressed with the feel and smooth action. It has Uncle Mike replacement grips on it.
DorothysGun-27Jan2017.jpg

basbol13

A-List Customer
I just finished cleaning this S&W model 37-2 Airweight for a lady I've known for 60 years. She said it had been in a drawer for the last nine years. It had something like varnish all over it and inside it and was completely locked down. Maybe she child proofed it sometime in the past. Lol. But it's clean now and I was really impressed with the feel and smooth action. It has Uncle Mike replacement grips on it.
View attachment 66120
Nice job cleaning, I had one and really liked it. I hope she doesn't put it back in the drawer, that would be a waste. Firearms, like cars, are meant to be used otherwise they end up like this one. I think you should take it out to the range and try it out. Hopefully she will do the same thing on a regular basis. I'd hate for this beautiful peace of machinery to be relegated to being a "drawer queen".

1955mercury

One of the Regulars
Nice job cleaning, I had one and really liked it. I hope she doesn't put it back in the drawer, that would be a waste. Firearms, like cars, are meant to be used otherwise they end up like this one. I think you should take it out to the range and try it out. Hopefully she will do the same thing on a regular basis. I'd hate for this beautiful peace of machinery to be relegated to being a "drawer queen".
I think she's going to keep it close to her now. Someone broke into her daughter's home about a week ago and she actually gave me two guns to clean. One for her and one for her daughter.

basbol13

A-List Customer
I think she's going to keep it close to her now. Someone broke into her daughter's home about a week ago and she actually gave me two guns to clean. One for her and one for her daughter.

Then, she better get a lot of practice in. As pistols go, revolvers are easy to learn about when it comes to operation, but need more practice as the finger does the work in bringing the revolver on line as opposed to the automatic which are more difficult when learning operation, but are a lot easier to shoot as the auto does all the work chambering a new round. Which is my concern with the lady using any revolver without adequate practice. But the auto has it's drawbacks also, many women and some men have difficulty "racking" an auto, which brings me full circle to my point which is I believe the revolver is the better weapon as it does not experience jams....you pull the trigger it doesn't shoot, so you pull the trigger again. Try doing that with an auto in a stressful situation. Also, having an auto with a 15 shot capacity is over kill. I wouldn't expect running into a battalion anytime in the near future so I think the old "six shooter" ( or five shooter in her case) is more than adequate as it's been shown in the typical gunfight, the average amount of expenditure is 1 1/2 shots fired. Also, she may want to go with a heavier revolver as the kick on such a lightweight pistol will make it harder to come back on line for the second shot. For home defense I believe she would want to have a stable platform to shoot from, something like a Ruger GP 100 with a 4" barrel, as the shortened barrel of the Airweight would make it a lot harder to point shoot. Since the GP100 is .357 mag, for a lady or man it would stand to reason to shoot .38's which would lessen the kick substantially. Using .38 + P ammo would give her not quite the power of the .357 but would be more than adequate and you'll have 6 in the cylinder rather than 5. Also, she needs to consider will she pull the trigger if the situation presents itself, because if she doesn't she's just given the perp a weapon to kill her with.

1955mercury

One of the Regulars
Then, she better get a lot of practice in. As pistols go, revolvers are easy to learn about when it comes to operation, but need more practice as the finger does the work in bringing the revolver on line as opposed to the automatic which are more difficult when learning operation, but are a lot easier to shoot as the auto does all the work chambering a new round. Which is my concern with the lady using any revolver without adequate practice. But the auto has it's drawbacks also, many women and some men have difficulty "racking" an auto, which brings me full circle to my point which is I believe the revolver is the better weapon as it does not experience jams....you pull the trigger it doesn't shoot, so you pull the trigger again. Try doing that with an auto in a stressful situation. Also, having an auto with a 15 shot capacity is over kill. I wouldn't expect running into a battalion anytime in the near future so I think the old "six shooter" ( or five shooter in her case) is more than adequate as it's been shown in the typical gunfight, the average amount of expenditure is 1 1/2 shots fired. Also, she may want to go with a heavier revolver as the kick on such a lightweight pistol will make it harder to come back on line for the second shot. For home defense I believe she would want to have a stable platform to shoot from, something like a Ruger GP 100 with a 4" barrel, as the shortened barrel of the Airweight would make it a lot harder to point shoot. Since the GP100 is .357 mag, for a lady or man it would stand to reason to shoot .38's which would lessen the kick substantially. Using .38 + P ammo would give her not quite the power of the .357 but would be more than adequate and you'll have 6 in the cylinder rather than 5. Also, she needs to consider will she pull the trigger if the situation presents itself, because if she doesn't she's just given the perp a weapon to kill her with.
All good points Basbol. Years back she could hold her ground against any man. Her late husband retired from the Marine Corps. and she was a nurse. But now she is a fragile little lady on oxygen all the time and lives alone. I don't know if there is a perfect self-defense weapon for her, but hopefully if the need arises she will be able to get off a couple of rounds with this light weight revolver.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I picked up this Freedom Arms Model 97 yesterday. It's a 5 shot 41 mag. I didn't realize how small the M97's are, but I really like it. First time FA buyer, first time 41 mag buyer. It came with 100 pieces of 41 mag brass, 50 pieces of 41 Special brass, 3 kinds of cast bullets, an RCBS mold and some RCBS dies that were machined to work with both 41 mag and 41 Spl.

I plan to load up that brass today, maybe get out to shoot next weekend.

i-g7W2gtb.jpg

i-hjnsbft.jpg

RJR

I picked up this Freedom Arms Model 97 yesterday. It's a 5 shot 41 mag. I didn't realize how small the M97's are, but I really like it. First time FA buyer, first time 41 mag buyer. It came with 100 pieces of 41 mag brass, 50 pieces of 41 Special brass, 3 kinds of cast bullets, an RCBS mold and some RCBS dies that were machined to work with both 41 mag and 41 Spl.

I plan to load up that brass today, maybe get out to shoot next weekend.

i-g7W2gtb.jpg

i-hjnsbft.jpg

Nice weapon,it should shoot well.

1955mercury

One of the Regulars
This is the other gun I just finished cleaning for the lady that also had the Smith & Wesson Airweight. This one is a Smith & Wesson SW40G. It doesn't appeal to me at all. Plastic, D/A only, with no safety pistols just don't make my bucket list.
Dorothys2ndgun-29Jan2017.jpg

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I agree. Both the S&W Sigma and the above posted SW40G were never attractive to me. I love the 1911 and Browning Hi-Power for style and "soul," and although I do own a plastic gun it is simply a utilitarian workpiece, dropped into a pocket until needed if an emergency arises.

The 1911 I have is on a ParaOrd widebody frame with Caspian slide and Nowlin 9x23 Winchester barrel. Essentially, an 18 +1 357 magnum running 125 jhp's at an honest 1450 fps. Sorry for the washed out photos.

i-xNC2Hcn.jpg

i-WTkwzJb.jpg

i-ThdTpxf.jpg

RJR

I agree. Both the S&W Sigma and the above posted SW40G were never attractive to me. I love the 1911 and Browning Hi-Power for style and "soul," and although I do own a plastic gun it is simply a utilitarian workpiece, dropped into a pocket until needed if an emergency arises.

The 1911 I have is on a ParaOrd widebody frame with Caspian slide and Nowlin 9x23 Winchester barrel. Essentially, an 18 +1 357 magnum running 125 jhp's at an honest 1450 fps. Sorry for the washed out photos.

i-xNC2Hcn.jpg

i-WTkwzJb.jpg

i-ThdTpxf.jpg
Nice piece.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto