Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

warbird

One Too Many
Order a Milt Sparks now so it will be ready when you get the permit. Don't buy a mass manufactured holster, especially as a left hander, I can say that. Sparks will be a bit more, but they are made SOOOOOOO much better. They are superior in every way from the design to durability to protection not only for you of a leather, but also for the gun with extra leather inside to keep sweat away from the pistol.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Scuffy said:
Here's my little Springfield. Picked it up at a gun show two years ago and from the looks of it- it hadn't had even a full magazine run through it. Since then I've had about 1400 rounds added under my name. I need to have the gun sent in though to see what can be done... after only a year of use the rear sight has become loose enough that it will literally slide out if the gun is laid on either side. Thus the reason I have not shot it for it's second year in my posession. Just haven't had the time or the money to get it checked out. :( Although that is now top on my list as my birthday is coming up and maybe a caring family member will come to my rescue with a cash donation! :D

FedoraLounge1911.jpg

Also! Before I forget. I checked out the thread here about holsters and what not the other day. I'm going to be taking my concealed carry course in the near future. I had been browsing in hopes of finding a good all leather, vintage styled shoulder holster. I shoot left handed so that may be a determining factor as well. Any suggestions??

Any good gunsmith can either stake that sight in for you or install a new one that will fit tighter. Which should be cheaper than factory repair.

You shouldn't have to actually send it in. If you do decide to, call them first and explain the problem, they may have some other suggestions.

Oh, nice gun. :eusa_clap

mannySpaghetti

One of the Regulars
Here's my "Home Protection"
HPIM2306.jpg

Lorcin .380 and my K-bar. The Lorcin company from my understanding is now defunct and some of the poorest firearms ever made, but even so, this baby shoots straight and only once in all the years I've owned it(since '93) has it "hang fired". Aside from that, because they're considered "throw away" guns, "Lorcin's .380 pistol regularly tops the list of all guns traced to crime by [the] ATF" - Violence Policy Center.

And just for fun for anyone that loves paintballing like I do, here's my Tippmann 98 Custom that I could probably use for home protection too. This thing's a BEAST and definately looks more formidable than my .380.
HPIM1733.jpg

and again in my "Chicago typewriter" config.....
HPIM2108.jpg

carebear

Spitfire said:
Got some more with nuns - but it might get some to lose even more than their Dr.Pepper.;)

According to my Jesuit-schooled father, it isn't nuns with guns you have to worry about. It's the ones with rulers.

:D

carebear

mannySpaghetti said:
And just for fun for anyone that loves paintballing like I do, here's my Tippmann 98 Custom that I could probably use for home protection too. This thing's a BEAST and definately looks more formidable than my .380.
HPIM1733.jpg

and again in my "Chicago typewriter" config.....
HPIM2108.jpg

The feed is from the top hopper right? What purpose do the different mag designs serve?

Esthetics is a perfectly rational answer. :D

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
anybody have an opinion on the now out-of-production Winchester 1300 Defender? thinking about one for home defense...so far i've read as much as i can on them and found they are fairly inexpensive and reliable, one of the cons is that they have an alloy frame(?) compared to a Remington 870 steel frame, if that really matters [huh] i dunno...anyways, any opinions out there in fedora land, thanks :)

SamMarlowPI said:
anybody have an opinion on the now out-of-production Winchester 1300 Defender? thinking about one for home defense..
What are you planning for this pump shotgun? If you are going to use it once in a while to keep sharp and have it for home defense it (the Defender) will be just fine. They're pretty hardy, but you won't find a lot of customizing upgrades for them if you're thinking of tricking it out. I have one and have used it for practice out in the desert without a problem. Double aught, number 4 buck and even slugs, it went thru them just fine.

The 870 is extremely reliable and even more hardy plus there is a bevy of aftermarket do-dads for making it your personalized model. The 870 is well thought of in Law Enforcement.

The Mossberg 590 is pretty nice for home defense too.

One upgrade I'd like is to have ghost ring sights on my Defender. Don't ever let anyone tell you you don't have to aim a shotgun, that is a myth. Ghost ring sights makes target acquistion very quick for most people.

The single most important thing to NOT do even under duress is short stroke the slide unless you have an extra 5 or more minutes to undo the shell that is now hung up. If you practice, make sure your muscle memory includes the complete stroke of the slide.

After that it is learning to reload (replenish) on the fly.

carebear

SamMarlowPI said:
anybody have an opinion on the now out-of-production Winchester 1300 Defender? thinking about one for home defense...so far i've read as much as i can on them and found they are fairly inexpensive and reliable, one of the cons is that they have an alloy frame(?) compared to a Remington 870 steel frame, if that really matters [huh] i dunno...anyways, any opinions out there in fedora land, thanks :)

The Mossberg shotguns have aluminum receivers. For any normal usage they will stand up as well as a steel receivered shotgun. I use a Mossy 500 for my HD shotgun.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the 1300 or its receiver.

Remember, shotgun shells, especially non-magnums, are low pressure and by design the receiver is not really taking any of it anyway.

If it helps, I find the Federal 8-pellet Tactical (low recoil) 00 Buck patterns very well. It will do the job. Magnums are a case of "more is less" when it comes to combat shooting, save them for the ducks.

carebear

John in Covina said:
What are you planning for this pump shotgun? If you are going to use it once in a while to keep sharp and have it for home defense it will be just fine. They're pretty hardy, but you won't find a lot of customizing upgrades for them if you're thinking of tricking it out. I have one and have used it for practice out in the desert without a problem. Double aught, number 4 buck and even slugs, it went thru them just fine.

The 870 is extremely reliable and even more hardy plus there is a bevy of aftermarket do-dads for making it you personal ized model. The 870 is well thought of in Law Enforcement.

The Mosberg 590 is pretty nice for home defense too.

One upgrade I'd like is to have ghost ring sights on my Defender. Don't ever let anyone tell you you don't have to aim a shotgun, that is a myth. Ghost ring sights makes target acquistion very quick for most people.

The single most important thing to NOT do even under duress is short stroke the slide unless you have an extra 5 or more minutes to undo the shell that is now hung up. If you practice, make sure your muscle memory includes the complete stroke of the slide.

After that it is learning to reload (replenish) on the fly.

Well said John.

All of it.

Load one, shoot one. :eusa_clap

Sam,

No matter where you're at, there are going to be good schools nearby to help you learn to run the gun even under stress. I heartily recommend getting the best training you can afford when the purpose is self-defense.

Since i haven't shot other pump shotguns during the same shooting session, I did not compare the stroke length so I don't know about that at all.

I don't care for pistol grips on shot guns as it seems the whole force winds up in the palm of the hand, othersseem to like them a lot. I have never seen anyone get burned while reloading even when done in a practice "tactical" session. Training is everything. Some like to have the shell carrier that slips over the shoulder stock.

A great video I saw a long time back had an entry where the guy shot the hinges of the door with a 12 guage before kicking it in. it seemed pretty effective.

I think that Gunsite has videos on using a 12 guage pump, might be worth getting.

If you are in the same room with the badguy bird shot will render him just as incapacitated as buck. I have seen autopsy pix of a few dispatched with the home owners upland bird gun - truly gruesome.

There is a whole bunch of people that prefer #4 buck over 00. When you pratice always end with some of the real thing, what ever you plan to use in the situation then you'll know the "feel" and how it patterns at the range you'll be using it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic