Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Gents - a moment of your time please.

I completely understand your enthusiasm for firearms and the information coming out of this thread for enthusiasts (and those with little knowledge but want to learn) is just astounding.

With reference to stating what firearms and various 'rounds' can actually 'inflict' upon flesh, could you 'please' keep that out of the thread from this point.;)

The last thing I want to do is rain on anyone's parade, but in this case I really appreciate your understanding and cooperation on this one gentlemen (and ladies too, as I appreciate they are not just a boy's thing!:) ).

Thanks for ALL the work and effort you've put into this to date!!

Regards, Paddy M.

shortbow

Practically Family
Thanks for the input Paddy. I am personally a gun guy, but am interested only in the vintage stuff and hunting. I was becoming rather dismayed at the direction this thread was taking. Sure would be happier in general if the posts on FL stuck more to the spirit of the Era.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
How are you going to define that "spirit of the era"?

The 870 has been around since, what, the '50s, which is square in the FL timeline, and, as you note, the basic pump-action shotgun design has been around, more or less unmodified, since the turn of the century. Heck, the only difference between a Glock and a striker-fired, semi-auto from the '30s is the polymer frame.

Most of the cartridges and bullet designs we use today have been around as long as the airplane.

Similarly, firearms since their invention have been used in self-defense easily as much or more than they were/are used in hunting, that hasn't changed from the Golden Era to today either. Talking about the subject, the strengths and weaknesses of various firearms and ammunition, is a perfectly vintage discussion.

Guns, and all their uses, are inherently vintage as there have been few true innovations in function or materials in the Modern Era. I don't have a problem with limiting graphic discussions of terminal effects (though I'd like to be shown where that occured above, shooting jello is hardly violent and was a link to boot) and tactics; but I'm not sure how we'd define the firearms "Spirit of the (Golden) Era" as any different from the "Spirit of Today".

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
carebear said:
I don't have a problem with limiting graphic discussions of terminal effects (though I'd like to be shown where that occured above, shooting jello is hardly violent and was a link to boot) and tactics

i think they're referring to mine and Johns comments a page or so back about buck vs. birdshot penetration...[huh]

carebear

SamMarlowPI said:
i think they're referring to mine and Johns comments a page or so back about buck vs. birdshot penetration...[huh]

Ah, gotcha, didn't look back far enough.

That's a reasonable thing to object to I guess.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Spitfire said:
OK - how about NUNS WITH GUNS then?

nuns.jpg

Sister Mary Therese!

...I thought she was a derringer gal. :)

SamMarlowPI said:

I couched my statements to be effective and yet as non-descript as possible but still get the point across. I made a point of trying not to be objectionable by not going into detail. (Which I could easily have done, my recollection of the key points of the discussion is graphic in detail.)

The difficulty is in strking the right balance for some I guess. However, I do know when the most "sensative" are allow to define what is acceptable in a conversation, it tends to stifle 'adult' conversation. And I mean adult as in Grown Up not in the terms of adult entertainment.

For gun owners the idea of the firearm being effective at it's job includes form function technique training and the actual selection of ammunition to perform a job. It is like doing a cooking show all of the same element s come into play preparing a meal, any description of the use will help those that wish to learn. You would not do a cooking show and not include the list and measurements of the spices used.

The most famous of research as to the effects of bullets and shooting was conducted in the selection of the 45 caliber pistol round prior to WWI. after the dismal results from the 38 caliber pistol in the Morro uprising the US army elected to do trials, literally experiments in effectiveness. If I recall correctly the trials were conducted by then Col. Thompson, the man who goes on to invent the Thompson sub machine gun. I also recall that the call went out for revolvers in 45 Long Colt for those still in the Phillipines. Colt Peacemakers were highly prized.

To keep any one from fainting I will simply state they went with the 45 caliber round for the next US Army pistol. How they arrived there is still pretty fascinating and you should look it up.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Here is a serious question I'd like to interject if I may.

I was recently out west and I LOVED it! Loved it so much in fact that I want to move there. As big game seems to outnumber people in the state I intend to move to, I want to take advantage of this built in four legged food supply. Also like the fishing and have done quite a lot here in Ohio, but no hunting.
My question is, what is the most effective rifle to use not only to take down a large animal such as an elk, but also for self defense in the event that a large animal such as a grizzley bear would like to maybe take me out? [huh]
The people at Gander Mountain recommend a caliber 30.06, which I would supplement with a large caliber hand gun like a .357 maybe in case of bears as this is what my late uncle carried in Alaska.
What would those experienced in hunting recommend?

carebear

Moderation in all things guys.

Paddy's request is reasonable and I see where he's coming from, even while disagreeing on the specifics. We can do the detail work on the sidelines for anyone interested in going beyond generalities.

Better a thread with ground rules than no thread at all.

Besides, the thread title says "Show us your guns" and it's been almost two whole pages without pictures. :D

Glocks

I have had the opportunity to shoot a number of Glocks in 9mm, 10mm and 45ACP. I found them to shoot really well and they are suprisingly comfortable to shoot. I have seen them torture tested, where they were buried in the desert sand outside of Las Vegas, retrieved, given a shake, slide racked and functioned flawlessly. I think you can run them over with a pickup truck and not hurt them. (Although you can ask why would anyone run them over?) They seem very reliable, easy to learn to shoot, accurate and there are some (not a lot but some like trigger pull weight) gunsmithing adjustments to make them even better for your needs. However.... They are ugly as sin! Especially if you are a blued steel and wood kinda guy or girl.

I would gladly take one as a gift and would consider buying one or more for the collection -after hitting the lottery.

As to vintageness, I recall, their action dates back to a design found in one of the early automatics but their trigger/safety design has some unique twists to it.

Maj.Nick Danger said:
I was recently out west and I LOVED it! Loved it so much in fact that I want to move there. As big game seems to outnumber people in the state I intend to move to, I want to take advantage of this built in four legged food supply. Also like the fishing and have done quite a lot here in Ohio, but no hunting.
My question is, what is the most effective rifle to use not only to take down a large animal such as an elk, but also for self defense in the event that a large animal such as a grizzley bear would like to maybe take me out? [huh]
The people at Gander Mountain recommend a caliber 30.06, which I would supplement with a large caliber hand gun like a .357 maybe in case of bears as this is what my late uncle carried in Alaska.
Better a 44 magnum for the hand gun if you are worried about grizzleys.

carebear

Maj.Nick Danger said:

My father used a sporterized Springfield '03 .30-06 to take an elk in Reno, NV in the late sixties. It worked just fine.

They are used up here for moose which are much bigger. With the proper bullet it will take anything, including grizzlys, in the Lower 48 states.

Personally I only hunt small game now, so I take a .44 along as bear insurance, but if I were to be out in the field with a rifle suitable for elk, I'd probably carry a smaller handgun just for plinking or small game.

There's not a lot of reason to carry several pounds of handgun that won't have the effectiveness of the rifle you are already carrying.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
carebear said:
Moderation in all things guys.

Paddy's request is reasonable and I see where he's coming from, even while disagreeing on the specifics. We can do the detail work on the sidelines for anyone interested in going beyond generalities.

Better a thread with ground rules than no thread at all.

Besides, the thread title says "Show us your guns" and it's been almost two whole pages without pictures. :D
I believe it was my comment, :eusa_doh: . I will go back into lurking mode on this thread...

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
i hijacked the thread when i asked about the 1300 and just did it again with the glock question...i have erased most of my previous posts because they were irrelevant to the thread and somewhat ridiculous responses at that...i'm truly sorry for causing this slight round of turbulence and for completely throwing this thread off course...the information was wonderful and well taken but not at the expense of really disrupting the flow of posts and/or getting the thread shut down...apologies to all...
-SM

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara