Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
This is a picture thread, so post more pictures!

bangbang001.jpg

My cous' shooting for the second time in her life. She's getting into law enforcement so we took her shooting. She had a blast.
bangbang002.jpg

bangbang003.jpg

Caught brass in midair. :D
bangbang004.jpg

Loadin' up the .22.
bangbang005.jpg

My sister's bf.
bangbang006.jpg

Lookin' like a goof and having fun.
bangbang007.jpg

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
Gotta love those Garands ! I can almost hear the "ping". I once owned 3 now only one. Last year I was rummaging around in the Garage and found over 90 en-bloc clips. Along with those I found about 3-400 rounds of Blanks I forgot I had. Time to go shooting !

shortbow

Practically Family
If folks think that a Glock has as much legitimate currency on FL as a nice pre-war 1911A1, there is no way I can argue it.

Perhaps this analogy might be telling?

Somebody starts a thread "Show us your fountain pens."

Before long it devolves into a penchant discussion about the merits of ball points and gel pens and how silly it is to write by hand in the first place with the ubiquity of computers.

Would that make sense for a board dedicated to the artifacts and style of the Golden Era?

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
shortbow,

There is a fountain pen thread, and it includes modern production cartridge fountain pens as well as vintage vacuum-load models.

The "Display Case" threads are about showing collections, if the thread title was "Show us your vintage guns" your position would be spot on, but from the beginning it hasn't been that specific.

Besides, if you go back the 34-odd pages you'll see most of the collections presented involve both vintage and modern firearms. It's almost a given considering the folks who post on this board.

The plastic guns have and certainly will remain in the minority of those discussed. Unlike the ballpoint analogy, aside from the plastic frames, there is no real difference between any gun produced yesterday and one produced in in the classic era.

carebear

Realized I've posted a zillion times with not one picture.

Here's a start. My Colt family photo.

Series 70 1911 .45
Series 80 Lightweight Commander .45 (my daily carry since about '93)
Government Model Lightweight .380
Mustang Pocketlite .380 (for when I can't carry a gun)

happyfamily.jpg

shortbow said:
If folks think that a Glock has as much legitimate currency on FL as a nice pre-war 1911A1, there is no way I can argue it.

Perhaps this analogy might be telling?

Somebody starts a thread "Show us your fountain pens."

Before long it devolves into a penchant discussion about the merits of ball points and gel pens and how silly it is to write by hand in the first place with the ubiquity of computers.

Would that make sense for a board dedicated to the artifacts and style of the Golden Era?
Since the developement of ball points predates WWII, its discussion is legitamate under your rules. Gel-pens are simply an innovation of the ball point with a change of ink type but the mechanism is the same.

Some one posted a question about Glocks! I wrote their action is actualy that of an early design. Developement of Plastics begin in in the late 19th century.

Someone complaigned about M16 yet did not know the AR15 the design for the M16 was developed around 1956 making over 50 years old.

I would like to add in the fountain pen threads if some one writes about a ball point pen we don't beat on them because of their "faux pas" it simply adds to the discussion about what people like and dislike.

In the hat section no one gets reprimanded for getting a new hat that was just manufactured this year either.

rumblefish

One Too Many
carebear said:
Realized I've posted a zillion times with not one picture.

Here's a start. My Colt family photo.

Series 70 1911 .45
Series 80 Lightweight Commander .45 (my daily carry since about '93)
Government Model Lightweight .380
Mustang Pocketlite .380 (for when I can't carry a gun)

happyfamily.jpg

Very nice collection! I'm more of a long gun collector, but this is what I'd want my pistol collection to look like. I'm envious.:)

Out of view is the ammo? or......The Cartridge Family. :eusa_doh:

carebear

rumblefish said:
Very nice collection! I'm more of a long gun collector, but this is what I'd want my pistol collection to look like. I'm envious.:)

Out of view is the ammo? or......The Cartridge Family. :eusa_doh:

Bad rumblefish, bad!

:D

I'll try to get the rest of the handguns and the long guns photographed and posted over the next few days.

Nothing horribly interesting I'm afraid.

WH1

Practically Family
Maj.Nick Danger said:
I was recently out west and I LOVED it! Loved it so much in fact that I want to move there. As big game seems to outnumber people in the state I intend to move to, I want to take advantage of this built in four legged food supply. Also like the fishing and have done quite a lot here in Ohio, but no hunting.
My question is, what is the most effective rifle to use not only to take down a large animal such as an elk, but also for self defense in the event that a large animal such as a grizzley bear would like to maybe take me out? [huh]
The people at Gander Mountain recommend a caliber 30.06, which I would supplement with a large caliber hand gun like a .357 maybe in case of bears as this is what my late uncle carried in Alaska.
What would those experienced in hunting recommend?

Nick,
I grew up hunting deer/elk in eastern oregon. The classic caliber/load was a 30-06 with a 180 grain nosler partition bullet, which is vintage by the way. ;) John Nosler developed the partition bullet in 1948.

http://www.nosler.com/?p=16

It is their 60th anniversary this year btw.
Over the years I have hunted with a variety of 30-06 rifles including a sporterized springfield '03, a winchester pre-64 30-06, a remington 700 30-06, a remington 721, 270 caliber, and of course the ever classic winchester model 94 30-30 lever action (decent for deer). but the most versatile is the 30-06 if you shoot it within the performance characteristics of the weapon and the round. It has good range and excellent energy with a reasonable recoil and easy availability of a wide variety of ammunition types, bullet weights and loads.
I also like the 357 as a side arm due to the ability to use 38 special for light work and practice. I usually carry a 45 long colt SAA in a chest holster when bow hunting. As far as carrying a sidearm of any caliber, for use on grizzly/kodiak bears, a buddy of mine from Alaska always recommended filing the sight down....so it won't hurt so bad when the bear shoves it up your.....!!!!lol He always carried a shotgun (remington 870 btw) with slugs.

rumblefish

One Too Many
WH1 said:
Nick,
I grew up hunting deer/elk in eastern oregon. The classic caliber/load was a 30-06 with a 180 grain nosler partition bullet, which is vintage by the way. ;) John Nosler developed the partition bullet in 1948.
Nolser Partition fan here.:eusa_clap
Nosler Partition. My favorite bullet for my two .30 Cals. (Sako Finnwolf in .308 Win. and a 52' M/S in .30-06) and in .243 Win. in my dad's 56' M/S. During field dressing or butchering I've retrieved Partition bullets and found them, seemingly, always retaining 100% of their weight and perfectly formed. A lot of others that I've found either separate from the jacket or tear apart. The 95 grain for .243, I found is the most accurate for us in the 56' M/S (using IMR4064). I think it's because of the shape of the bullet and how it's seated. The good thing is I have few boxes left from my uncle's old gun shop enough, I think, to last as long as I am hunting.:)

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
WH1 said:
Nick,

http://www.nosler.com/?p=16

It is their 60th anniversary this year btw.
Over the years I have hunted with a variety of 30-06 rifles including a sporterized springfield '03, a winchester pre-64 30-06, a remington 700 30-06, a remington 721, 270 caliber, and of course the ever classic winchester model 94 30-30 lever action (decent for deer). but the most versatile is the 30-06 if you shoot it within the performance characteristics of the weapon and the round. It has good range and excellent energy with a reasonable recoil and easy availability of a wide variety of ammunition types, bullet weights and loads.
Great info WH, thanks! Of all the 30.06 rifles I looked at, I liked a Winchester the best I think. I forget the exact model number, but it has been in production since the 1950s I was told. Liked the wood stock version best of course, no plastic for me!

!911A1 Holster

Hello fellow firearm collectors I must have missed this thread,I have been some what of a gun collector since 1964,had my share of guns from A-Z.Currantly I own a 1926 A grade AH Fox(my upland game gun) a pre war un fired S&W M&P revolver and a new purchase a 1911A1 Auto Ordenance 45.I am looking at some of the holsters out there and see big dollars on the older makers.Anyones thoughts on putting a NEW 1911A1 in an old holster? Just does`t seem right,am I wrong.BB

Story

I'll Lock Up

carebear

Handguns are one case where putting "new wine in old wineskins" only improves the new wine.

:D

There are a pile of classic designs out there by a multitude of new manufacturers.

Most holster patterns go back to, at least, the '50s and '60s.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
CB made me realize something. If you intend the holster for display or just on the range or casual, a vintage holster will serve you very well. However, if you are talking about daily carry for protection, there have been a lot of design advances over the years. Look around and talk to people who REALLY carry as to what works, is comfortable,secure, etc.

In holsters the choice can almost seem endless. You can have one made specific for you or buy one that is manufactureed on an assembly line some place.

You just want to stay away from the really inexpensive leather ones you'll find sold by those surplus-outlet places, they often have insubstantial reproductions that aren't good for use but maybe okay for display.

I always marveled at the variety that's available from Bianchi and Galco.

The key for choosing is what purpose and HOW you are going to be using the holster will help define the type to get.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn